This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cinderella - March 31 - April 8, 2023

Casting for the two leads in Cinderella is up on the SFB website.

March 31, April 4 & 8 (evening): Misa Kuranaga, Isaac Hernandez

April 1 (matinee) & 5 : Isabella DeVivo,* Joseph Walsh

April 1 (evening), 6 & 8 (matinee)  : Dores Andre, Max Cauthorn

April 2 & 7: Sasha De Sola, Luke Ingham

* Wonderful to finally see DeVivo cast as the lead in a full-length ballet.  I am attending April 4 and 5.

Casting is also up for the triple bill, "The Colors of Dance."

Edited by Josette

Gosh, I was thinking... someone else for the second performance. DeVivo is a lovely dancer, but wow, sorry I'm not seeing someone like Nikisha Fogo. Guess Katherine Barkman is out for the season -- so disappointing. It just feels like a strange year, no Froustey, no Frances, changing of the guard, etc. I would have expected Wona Park over DeVivo, but I understand that only certain dancers get rehearsed for certain ballets. And I would have loved to see Dores dancing a lead in a classical ballet, but, alas, am only attending 3/31 and 4/1 matinee performance. Delighted, on the other hand, to get to see Joseph Walsh (just love him in this role, and others) and Issac Hernandez, which will be a new leading man for me to enjoy. Have heard good things about him.

Regardless, I adore this production and am very much looking forward to attending both performances!

Well, opening night and Saturday matinee were big fun! I was happy with performances across the board. Isabella did a great job in her first leading full-length ballet role. The Fates were excellent both nights, as were stepfamily Hortensia, Edwina and Clementine. (Jen Stahl, Elizabeth Powell and Ellen Rose Hummel on Fri pm, Elizabeth Mateer, Kamryn Baldwin and Jasmine Jimison on Sat 2p.) I posted a full review at The Classical Girl, and am limited on time today, but I did want to give a shout-out to all the performers. Not to mention the creative team -- each time I watch this production, I marvel at its cleverness, its imagination and whimsy. One of my all time faves. Oh, and a shoutout to Misa Kuranaga and Isaac Hernandez; they aced it, and looked really great together. As did Joseph Walsh with Isabella. 

I attended the Tuesday night performance with Misa Kuranega and Isaac Hernandez and will see Isabella De Vivo and Joseph Walsh tonight. I found the whole production delightful and particularly loved that Esteban Hernandez was cast as Benjamin, and so we had the two Hernandez brothers  onstage and interacting with each other. And what  a beautiful dancer Misa is! I also greatly appreciated Steven Morse as Cinderella’s Father, giving a warm and detailed characterization that enriched the entire ballet. 

I really love this production of Cinderella.  It's been a few years since SFB has done it, and I forgot about all the clever and humorous moments throughout.  It's definitely a fresh take on Cinderella without really altering the original plotline.

I'm so glad I got to see Isabella De Vivo's first full-length role.  She was so etherial, and she's got such a contagious smile.  I never know what goes on behind-the-scenes, but based on this performance alone, she looked like a full-fledged principal dancer, and I definitely think she's deserving of promotion.  She eats up the stage so well too - there was a little moment where I think her foot got caught on the flooring while she was running, but she managed to keep moving through it without losing any momentum or musicality - it felt like such a "mature" principal dancer moment.  And Joseph Walsh was great as he always is.

My eye was frequently drawn to Jimison as one of the stepsisters.  She stands out to me (in a good way).  Based on what I've seen of her and how often she's been casted, I'm assuming she's in line for promotion very soon.

Given the announcement of Dores Andre leaving (and perhaps overly speculative, but I wonder if YYT is nearing the end of her career), I wouldn't be surprised if Jimison and De Vivo are promoted next.

Overall, a wonderful performance, I really recommend seeing it if you have the chance!

Loved your comments, Josette and Phrenchphry11. Agreed and agreed! I, too, loved seeing the Hernandez brothers together. Siblings onstage have an extra element of magic going on.

And Phrenchphry11, my lone question regarding the aforementioned "promotion" thing, is "which one first?" Then there is Katherine Barkman, who wowed me in Nutcracker. Would have put her high on that consideration list as well. It was a delight to see her dancing on opening night. (One of the season/spirit leads.)