This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gala Performance to Open 2023 Season

The Opening Night Gala Performance of the 2023 Season will be on Thursday, January 19.  Programming has been posted, which will include excerpts from some of the next@90 pieces (casting has not been posted at this time):  https://www.sfballet.org/productions/gala/

GALA PROGRAMMING

Third Movement from Haffner Serenade (World Premiere)
Choreographer: Robert Garland
Composer: Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart

Balcony Pas de Deux from Romeo & Juliet
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson
Composer: Sergei Prokofiev

Postcripum (World Premiere)
Choreographer: Yuri Possokhov
Composer: Shinji Eshima

Excerpt from MADCAP (World Premiere)
Choreographer: Danielle Rowe
Composer: Pär Hagström
Music arranged By: Philip Feeney

Double Stop
Choreographer: Val Caniparoli
Composer: Philip Glass

Pas de Deux from Giselle, Act II
Choreographer: Helgi Tomasson after Marius Petipa, Jules Perrot, and Jean Coralli
Composer: Adolphe Adam

"The Colour of Anything" from Blake Works I
Choreographer: William Forsythe
Composer: James Blake

Pas de Deux from Cinderella, Act II
Choreographer: Christopher Wheeldon
Composer: Sergei Prokofiev

Excerpt from Gateway to the Sun (World Premiere)
Choreographer: Nicolas Blanc
Composer: Anna Clyne

Excerpt from BOLERO (World Premiere)
Choreographer: Yuka Oishi
Composer: Maurice Ravel

Casting is now posted for the gala performance: https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/

GALA CASTING

Thursday, January 19, 6:30 PM

I. Third Movement from HAFFNER SERENADE (World Premiere)

KATHERINE BARKMAN, ESTEBAN HERNÁNDEZ

Gabriela Gonzalez, SunMin Lee, Elizabeth Mateer, Carmela Mayo

Luca Ferrò, Lleyton Ho, Joshua Jack Price, Nathaniel Remez

II. Balcony Pas de Deux from ROMEO & JULIET

DORES ANDRÉ, ISAAC HERNÁNDEZ

III. POSTSCRIPTUM (World Premiere)

YUAN YUAN TAN, AARON ROBISON

IV. Excerpt from MADCAP (World Premiere)

The Clown: TIIT HELIMETS

The Oracle: JENNIFER STAHL

The Juggled: MAX CAUTHORN, ALEXIS VALDES, WEI WANG

Thamires Chuvas, Parker Garrison, Jasmine Jimison, Davide Occhipinti, Leili Rackow, Henry Sidford, Tyla Steinbach, Jamie Adele Stephens

V. DOUBLE STOP

WANTING ZHAO, LUKE INGHAM

Eric Sung, Cello

VI. Pas de Deux from GISELLE, Act II

MISA KURANAGA, ANGELO GRECO

Yi Zhou, Viola

VII. “The Colour in Anything” from BLAKE WORKS I

NIKISHA FOGO, ISAAC HERNÁNDEZ

VIII. Pas de Deux from CINDERELLA, Act II

SASHA DE SOLA, JOSEPH WALSH

IX. Excerpt from GATEWAY TO THE SUN (World Premiere)

MAX CAUTHORN

JENNIFER STAHL, LUKE INGHAM

Eric Sung, Cello

X. Excerpt from BOLERO (World Premiere)

WONA PARK, JOSEPH WALSH

KATHERINE BARKMAN, ESTEBAN HERNÁNDEZ

SASHA MUKHAMEDOV, DANIEL DEIVISON-OLIVEIRA

Juliana Bellissimo, Gabriela Gonzalez, SunMin Lee, Elizabeth Mateer, Carmela Mayo

Luca Ferrò, Joshua Jack Price, Nathaniel Remez, John-Paul Simoens, Hansuke Yamamoto

*CASTING SUBJECT TO CHANGE

Edited by sf_herminator

I recall that in previous Galas, each principal and soloist was featured in some way, and I see several of my favorites not listed as performing and then, additionally,  one new female soloist featured twice, and four male principals featured twice each, including the two Hernandez brothers and with Esteban Hernandez with Katherine Barkman twice. Katherine Barkman is lovely, but where are the equally talented and beloved Julia Rowe and Isabella DeVivo and David Morse and Lonnie Weeks and Cavan Conley and Diego Cruz and Lucas Erni and Ellen Rose Hummel and Norika Matsuyama and Elizabeth Powell and Myles Thatcher?

Edited by Josette
Needed to correct an incorrectly spelled name.
59 minutes ago, Josette said:

I recall that in previous Galas, each principal and soloist was featured in some way, and I see several of my favorites not listed as performing and then, additionally,  one new female soloist featured twice, and four male principals featured twice each, including the two Hernandez brothers and with Esteban Hernandez with Katherine Barkman twice. Katherine Barkman is lovely, but where are the equally talented and beloved Julia Rowe and Isabella DeVito and David Morse and Lonnie Weeks and Cavan Conley and Diego Cruz and Lucas Erni and Ellen Rose Hummel and Norika Matsuyama and Elizabeth Powell and Myles Thatcher?

Some of this is due to injury (Mukhamdov and Sheehan for example), and Barkman gets lucky with the world premiere choices, but some of the absences are just big question marks.

1 hour ago, Josette said:

I recall that in previous Galas, each principal and soloist was featured in some way, and I see several of my favorites not listed as performing and then, additionally,  one new female soloist featured twice, and four male principals featured twice each, including the two Hernandez brothers and with Esteban Hernandez with Katherine Barkman twice. Katherine Barkman is lovely, but where are the equally talented and beloved Julia Rowe and Isabella DeVito and David Morse and Lonnie Weeks and Cavan Conley and Diego Cruz and Lucas Erni and Ellen Rose Hummel and Norika Matsuyama and Elizabeth Powell and Myles Thatcher?

Excellent question... I saw the casting and thought, whoa, it's the Hernandez brothers show. 

1 hour ago, pherank said:

Some of this is due to injury (Mukhamdov and Sheehan for example), and Barkman gets lucky with the world premiere choices, but some of the absences are just big question marks.

But Sasha Mukhamedov is scheduled to dance at the Gala, and Sheehan is not a soloist.  I agree with PeggyTulle that it's the Hernandez Brothers' show even though I do like Esteban very, very much.  (I've only seen Isaac once live since he left SFB, when he danced in Akram Khan's Giselle in 2019 with ENB, and everyone was outshone by the extraordinary Jeffrey Cirio.)  The Gala casting is very different from what Helgi Tomasson arranged each year.

45 minutes ago, Josette said:

But Sasha Mukhamedov is scheduled to dance at the Gala, and Sheehan is not a soloist.  I agree with PeggyTulle that it's the Hernandez Brothers' show even though I do like Esteban very, very much.  (I've only seen Isaac once live since he left SFB, when he danced in Akram Khan's Giselle in 2019 with ENB, and everyone was outshone by the extraordinary Jeffrey Cirio.)  The Gala casting is very different from what Helgi Tomasson arranged each year.

If Mukhamdov is feeling up to it now, then great. She skipped Nutcracker in hopes of being able to dance the regular season (that was talked about in an Instagram video). Expect to see a lot of the Hernandez brothers though.   😉

Well, something came up last-minute, so I'm bummed to miss the Gala this week. I can't wait to read the reports though!

The program looks interesting (aside from not a ton of virtuosic classical pdds!), but I definitely echo what others are saying.  Seems like most of the principals are featured, but there's a LOT of the Hernandez brothers, and very little of the up-and-coming soloists.  Julia Rowe and Isabella DeVivo were both dancers I had expected to eventually make it to principal, so it feels like a shame they aren't featured.  It definitely seems that things are changing with the new administration.  I don't want to be too tied to the old way of doing things, but I hope this doesn't portend attrition over the coming year.

Since Sheehan came up, I don't think I saw her at all last season.  Is she injured?  I saw her a few years ago in Sleeping Beauty and was blown away, but I've seen hardly anything of her since.

4 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Since Sheehan came up, I don't think I saw her at all last season.  Is she injured?  I saw her a few years ago in Sleeping Beauty and was blown away, but I've seen hardly anything of her since.

IIRC, she didn't dance in Nutcracker this season. 

On 1/17/2023 at 3:05 PM, Phrenchphry11 said:

Well, something came up last-minute, so I'm bummed to miss the Gala this week. I can't wait to read the reports though!

The program looks interesting (aside from not a ton of virtuosic classical pdds!), but I definitely echo what others are saying.  Seems like most of the principals are featured, but there's a LOT of the Hernandez brothers, and very little of the up-and-coming soloists.  Julia Rowe and Isabella DeVivo were both dancers I had expected to eventually make it to principal, so it feels like a shame they aren't featured.  It definitely seems that things are changing with the new administration.  I don't want to be too tied to the old way of doing things, but I hope this doesn't portend attrition over the coming year.

Casting change alert:  Julia Rowe will now dance with Esteban Hernandez in the excerpts from both Haffner Serenade and Bolero (only posting changes below but you can go to the link https://www.sfballet.org/tickets/casting/)

I. Third Movement from HAFFNER SERENADE (World Premiere)

JULIA ROWE, ESTEBAN HERNÁNDEZ

Gabriela Gonzalez, SunMin Lee, Elizabeth Mateer, Carmela Mayo

Luca Ferrò, Lleyton Ho, Joshua Jack Price, Nathaniel Remez

X. Excerpt from BOLERO (World Premiere)

WONA PARK, JOSEPH WALSH

JULIA ROWE, ESTEBAN HERNÁNDEZ

SASHA MUKHAMEDOV, DANIEL DEIVISON-OLIVEIRA

Juliana Bellissimo, Gabriela Gonzalez, SunMin Lee, Elizabeth Mateer, Carmela Mayo

Luca Ferrò, Joshua Jack Price, Nathaniel Remez, John-Paul Simoens, Hansuke Yamamoto