This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Pacific Northwest Ballet at the Koch in June

1 hour ago, Kathleen O'Connell said:

I'm glad PNB brought Pite to NYC since we don't get to see much of her work here. The dancers were all terrific, and so were the musicians. 

Amen to that. Plot Point is ingenious. Wish a New York company would do some of her works. I've been watching what I can on youtube!

On 6/25/2022 at 5:04 PM, vipa said:

The program opened with Cerrudo's, Little mortal jump. I've seen a bit of his work at the Joyce, but he's another choreographer I wish we'd see more of in New York. I love the movement quality that he creates.

I don't dare mention individual dancers. I'm not very familiar with the company and the list of replacements read by the stage manager, both at the start of the show and before the last piece, was mind blowing. My guess is that COVID hit the company. Two dancers in the Tharp work danced wearing medical face masks.

Cerrudo has staged work here and made work for the company -- I think Little Mortal Jump is a good example of his physicality.  He's just starting as the AD of Carolina Ballet, so you may see more sooner.

The company has been following pretty strict Covid protocols all season, but wound up having to cancel the first weekend of their most recent rep.  Some dancers have been masking on stage pretty consistently all season, but if you've had Covid, you still mask for several days even after you test negative.

We're all in that place where this kind of last-minute shifting is becoming more standard.  The alternative is continuing to stay locked down -- it's a tricky balancing act.

On 6/26/2022 at 6:27 PM, vipa said:

Amen to that. Plot Point is ingenious. Wish a New York company would do some of her works. I've been watching what I can on youtube!

She seems to make a work for her Kidd Pivot company, and tour it extensively for multiple years -- a couple of Seattle organizations are part of the list of co-commisioners for "Revisor," which is coming up on its third year in repertory, and we'll finally see it here this coming season. 

And we'll also see her "Season's Canon" set on PNB -- it was originally made for the Paris Opera Ballet in 2016.