This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Dusty Button Implicated in Sexual Assault in Lawsuit

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/29/arts/dance/mitchell-button-dusty-button-abuse.html

Hopefully this story isn't too off topic, but it seems relevant due to some of the Diversity & Inclusion discussions and #MeToo discussions happening in other threads.

A few years ago I used to follow Dusty Button on Instagram, and even before that, I remembered seeing a nice profile on her on the news about her joining the Royal Ballet School, and I was inspired by her and felt she had quite a bit of talent. (I've never seen her perform live)

Well, fast forward a few years later after she abruptly left BB, I started getting some odd vibes from her - particularly an interview about her philosophy around coaching and how she didn't mind being "harsh" on students.  Well, fast forward to today, the story really makes me feel sick to my stomach.  Never would I have imagined she'd be implicated in sexual abuse while at BB (and the allegations against her husband are even less savory - I won't list them here).  

I feel heartened by Boston Ballet's emphatic response.  I hope these responses will usher us towards a new era where sexual assault and misogyny is taken more seriously in professional companies.  I fear stories like this are only the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by Phrenchphry11
edits for clarity

This quote from the plaintiffs' attorney is just heartbreaking:

Sigrid McCawley, a lawyer representing the two plaintiffs, said that there is a trend of predation in the dance world because of ingrained power dynamics and the desire on the part of dancers to gain approval from authority figures.

“Grooming in that environment is particularly easy for a perpetrator,” she said, “because he has full access to very young victims for long periods of time.”

Seeing this story at the same time that we're watching the US women's gymnasts onscreen -- just feeling sick for these vulnerable kids. 

10 hours ago, Phrenchphry11 said:

Well, fast forward a few years later after she abruptly left BB, I started getting some odd vibes from her - particularly an interview about her philosophy around coaching and how she didn't mind being "harsh" on students. 

Took the words out of my mouth.

How incredibly sad for these young women (or, at the time for some, girls).

CNN and other news outlets reported that the federal complaint against Mitchell Taylor Button has been updated to include Dusty Button as a co-defendant.

This website has a copy of the amended complaint:

https://lawandcrime.com/lawsuit/five-dancers-raise-stunning-allegations-of-years-long-child-sexual-abuse-by-high-profile-ballet-couple/

I didn't read through the whole complaint but based on a quick skim, it looks like some of the alleged abuse took place at Centerstage Dance Academy in Florida, where Mitchell Taylor Button was an instructor, while others took place in Massachusetts (after he and Dusty Button married).  

I saw Dusty Button dance several times at BB and was impressed by her  in Balanchine and contemporary works.  Never understood why she left the company.   I was shocked by the  allegations against Button's husband  earlier this year and even more disgusted by the recent news of Button  also being named as defendant.  To say I feel sick to my stomach is an understatement.  I also am encouraged by Boston Ballet's support of the  company dancer who was abused by the Buttons.