This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center 2021-22 ballet/dance

I am wondering if seating will be allocated according to social-distancing rules? If so, how will "singles" seats be allocated? This might be a year when seating could run out at the subscription stage, unlike past years when people could easily purchase show-specific tickets closer to the performance dates, after casting was announced.

On 4/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, California said:

The Kennedy Center has just announced the 2021-22 ballet/dance series:

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/season-announcement/ballet-dance/

Those seats are sold for full capacity beginning 9/1/21.   https://www.kennedy-center.org/visit/covid-safety/ Realistically do I expect to see that Miami Nutcracker in a full capacity Opera House?  No.  The KC could use these theatres this summer under DC guidelines with capacity limits:   

• Opera House cap= est 2198*25%= 549 so cap at 500.
  • Eisenhower 1161*.25%=290

Wolf Trap is doing pods like Miami's Nutcracker but the only ballet booked is Maryland Youth Ballet.  I was surprised at no ABT or TWB.  ABT is at the marvelous Salamander [Sheila Johnson resort] outdoors with rain dates perhaps on a dance floor laid on a terrace with limited lawn seating.   Perhaps they will get to stay there pre return to NYC after the arduous tour.

26 minutes ago, maps said:

Those seats are sold for full capacity beginning 9/1/21.  https://www.kennedy-center.org/visit/covid-safety/ Realistically do I expect to see that Miami Nutcracker in a full capacity Opera House?  No.  The KC could use these theatres this summer under DC guidelines with capacity limits:   

• Opera House cap= est 2198*25%= 549 so cap at 500.
  • Eisenhower 1161*.25%=290

Wolf Trap is doing pods like Miami's Nutcracker but the only ballet booked is Maryland Youth Ballet.  I was surprised at no ABT or TWB.  ABT is at the marvelous Salamander [Sheila Johnson resort] outdoors with rain dates perhaps on a dance floor laid on a terrace with limited lawn seating.   Perhaps they will get to stay there pre return to NYC after the arduous tour.

Thank you for this information, maps.  I will likely do my subscription renewal before the June 4 deadline and hope for the best. I was a little concerned because Washington, DC, where the Kennedy Center is physically located, seems to be clamping down, such as the recent ban on dancing and standing at weddings.  

Posted (edited)

Am I the only person disappointed that Mariinsky is bringing Jewels to the Kennedy Center? Classic Balanchine, but so readily available in performances and recordings (Medici and Marquee both have the Mariinsky Jewels). I'm wondering if the US sensitivity to cultural appropriation and offenses is making presenters nervous. La Bayadere has known problems with brown-face. Reports recently that Paris Opera Ballet is being criticized for cultural offensiveness in Raymonda. I assume all those Nutcrackers will be appropriately sanitized, which is overdue. And, of course, the shipping costs for sets for Jewels are minimal compared to the 19th century classics. Still...

As others note, I hope Mariinsky will visit other US cities next spring, but I haven't seen any announcements.

Edited by California

9 hours ago, California said:

Am I the only person disappointed that Mariinsky is bringing Jewels to the Kennedy Center? Classic Balanchine, but so readily available in performances and recordings (Medici and Marquee both have the Mariinsky Jewels). I'm wondering if the US sensitivity to cultural appropriation and offenses is making presenters nervous. La Bayadere has known problems with brown-face.

Pre pandemic they were talking about a contemporary/20th-century program at Ken Cen with Push Comes to Shove (which Kim dances) and, I think, Serenade on the program as well. In that context, well, I'd rather see Jewels. I had wondered if post pandemic it would be Swan Lake. Which, since it's the Mariinsky, I could definitely live with and enjoy. In my fantasy, I was hoping (or, really, just daydreaming)  Sleeping Beauty--either version they do, though presumably touring with the Sergeyev production is easier. So would Jewels have been my first choice? No ...but it's far from last choice!

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Pre pandemic they were talking about a contemporary/20th-century program at Ken Cen with Push Comes to Shove (which Kim dances) and, I think, Serenade on the program as well. In that context, well, I'd rather see Jewels. I had wondered if post pandemic it would be Swan Lake. Which, since it's the Mariinsky, I could definitely live with and enjoy. In my fantasy, I was hoping (or, really, just daydreaming)  Sleeping Beauty--either version they do, though presumably touring with the Sergeyev production is easier. So would Jewels have been my first choice? No ...but it's far from last choice!

Looks like they are planning Push for June 2021 at the Mariinsky: 

https://balletandopera.com/modern_dance/Evening_of_one_act_ballets___Push_Comes_/info/?sid=GLE_1

What a treat it would be to see! Push has never been revived by ABT, although an excerpt appeared on one of their Gala programs just a few years ago. I always envisioned Daniil Simkiin in the role.

Pennsylvania Ballet did it in 2008 (pre-Corella). Has anybody else? 

https://www.playbill.com/article/pennsylvania-ballet-tharps-push-comes-to-shove-shows-its-sense-of-humor