Jump to content
This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Kennedy Center 2021-22 ballet/dance


Recommended Posts

I am wondering if seating will be allocated according to social-distancing rules? If so, how will "singles" seats be allocated? This might be a year when seating could run out at the subscription stage, unlike past years when people could easily purchase show-specific tickets closer to the performance dates, after casting was announced.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/29/2021 at 3:43 PM, California said:

The Kennedy Center has just announced the 2021-22 ballet/dance series:

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/season-announcement/ballet-dance/

...

 

Those seats are sold for full capacity beginning 9/1/21.   https://www.kennedy-center.org/visit/covid-safety/ Realistically do I expect to see that Miami Nutcracker in a full capacity Opera House?  No.  The KC could use these theatres this summer under DC guidelines with capacity limits:   

  • Opera House cap= est 2198*25%= 549 so cap at 500.
  • Eisenhower 1161*.25%=290

Wolf Trap is doing pods like Miami's Nutcracker but the only ballet booked is Maryland Youth Ballet.  I was surprised at no ABT or TWB.  ABT is at the marvelous Salamander [Sheila Johnson resort] outdoors with rain dates perhaps on a dance floor laid on a terrace with limited lawn seating.   Perhaps they will get to stay there pre return to NYC after the arduous tour.

 


 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, maps said:

 

Those seats are sold for full capacity beginning 9/1/21.  https://www.kennedy-center.org/visit/covid-safety/ Realistically do I expect to see that Miami Nutcracker in a full capacity Opera House?  No.  The KC could use these theatres this summer under DC guidelines with capacity limits:   

  • Opera House cap= est 2198*25%= 549 so cap at 500.
  • Eisenhower 1161*.25%=290

Wolf Trap is doing pods like Miami's Nutcracker but the only ballet booked is Maryland Youth Ballet.  I was surprised at no ABT or TWB.  ABT is at the marvelous Salamander [Sheila Johnson resort] outdoors with rain dates perhaps on a dance floor laid on a terrace with limited lawn seating.   Perhaps they will get to stay there pre return to NYC after the arduous tour.

 


 

Thank you for this information, maps.  I will likely do my subscription renewal before the June 4 deadline and hope for the best. I was a little concerned because Washington, DC, where the Kennedy Center is physically located, seems to be clamping down, such as the recent ban on dancing and standing at weddings.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Am I the only person disappointed that Mariinsky is bringing Jewels to the Kennedy Center? Classic Balanchine, but so readily available in performances and recordings (Medici and Marquee both have the Mariinsky Jewels). I'm wondering if the US sensitivity to cultural appropriation and offenses is making presenters nervous. La Bayadere has known problems with brown-face. Reports recently that Paris Opera Ballet is being criticized for cultural offensiveness in Raymonda. I assume all those Nutcrackers will be appropriately sanitized, which is overdue. And, of course, the shipping costs for sets for Jewels are minimal compared to the 19th century classics. Still...

As others note, I hope Mariinsky will visit other US cities next spring, but I haven't seen any announcements.

Edited by California
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, California said:

Am I the only person disappointed that Mariinsky is bringing Jewels to the Kennedy Center? Classic Balanchine, but so readily available in performances and recordings (Medici and Marquee both have the Mariinsky Jewels). I'm wondering if the US sensitivity to cultural appropriation and offenses is making presenters nervous. La Bayadere has known problems with brown-face.

Pre pandemic they were talking about a contemporary/20th-century program at Ken Cen with Push Comes to Shove (which Kim dances) and, I think, Serenade on the program as well. In that context, well, I'd rather see Jewels. I had wondered if post pandemic it would be Swan Lake. Which, since it's the Mariinsky, I could definitely live with and enjoy. In my fantasy, I was hoping (or, really, just daydreaming)  Sleeping Beauty--either version they do, though presumably touring with the Sergeyev production is easier. So would Jewels have been my first choice? No ...but it's far from last choice!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, Drew said:

Pre pandemic they were talking about a contemporary/20th-century program at Ken Cen with Push Comes to Shove (which Kim dances) and, I think, Serenade on the program as well. In that context, well, I'd rather see Jewels. I had wondered if post pandemic it would be Swan Lake. Which, since it's the Mariinsky, I could definitely live with and enjoy. In my fantasy, I was hoping (or, really, just daydreaming)  Sleeping Beauty--either version they do, though presumably touring with the Sergeyev production is easier. So would Jewels have been my first choice? No ...but it's far from last choice!

Looks like they are planning Push for June 2021 at the Mariinsky: 

https://balletandopera.com/modern_dance/Evening_of_one_act_ballets___Push_Comes_/info/?sid=GLE_1

What a treat it would be to see! Push has never been revived by ABT, although an excerpt appeared on one of their Gala programs just a few years ago. I always envisioned Daniil Simkiin in the role.

Pennsylvania Ballet did it in 2008 (pre-Corella). Has anybody else? 

https://www.playbill.com/article/pennsylvania-ballet-tharps-push-comes-to-shove-shows-its-sense-of-humor

Link to comment
Share on other sites

As a season subscriber to the KC Ballet series, I received an email notice yesterday concerning the cancelation of the National Ballet of China's performances in January 2022. The bigger concern is this wording about the reason for the cancelation, as it may provide a clue to what's up with the Mariinsky Ballet's planned visit in April:

 

Due to COVID-19, the company is holding on international touring until global conditions improve. The Kennedy Center and National Ballet of China are looking at rescheduling the 2022 engagement for a future season.

 

Maybe global conditions will improve by late April, to allow the visit by the Mariinsky?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/1/2021 at 8:23 AM, Roberta said:

As a season subscriber to the KC Ballet series, I received an email notice yesterday concerning the cancelation of the National Ballet of China's performances in January 2022. The bigger concern is this wording about the reason for the cancelation, as it may provide a clue to what's up with the Mariinsky Ballet's planned visit in April:

 

Due to COVID-19, the company is holding on international touring until global conditions imp...

Akram Khan is on the schedule for Nov 2021 and Okinawa is in the spring.  We have hope for the Mariinsky which is on for Baden-Baden Dec 2021.

Edited by maps
Link to comment
Share on other sites

If you're a Friend of the Kennedy Center, tickets for ABT and Mariinsky are on sale today. Heavy traffic, but not too much of a wait and lots of good seats.

They must be optimistic that the Russian dancers will be admitted to the US in April. I noticed at the Skate America competition last week that there were plenty of Russian skaters. Somehow they are being admitted with the proper vaccinations!

EDITED TO ADD: The ABT site does not include any casting for this engagement on the master calendar. It does list Don Q for Tuesday and Wednesday nights, while the Kennedy Center site lists "ABT forward" with Ratmansky, Lang, and TBA. I suspect the ABT site is incorrect.

https://www.abt.org/performances/master-calendar/

https://www.kennedy-center.org/whats-on/explore-by-genre/ballet/2021-2022/american-ballet-theatre/

Edited by California
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Discount offer for Akram Kahn at KenCen for Thur. And Fri.

This just arrived in my inbox:

Welcome back to The Kennedy Center!

The Kennedy Center is offering $25 tickets in Orchestra price sections B, C, D, and G for the Thursday, November 18, 2021 and Friday, November 19, 2021 performances of Akram Kahn Company’s XENOS in the Eisenhower Theater at 8:00PM. Tickets regularly priced at $25-$99.

thumbnail?appid=YahooMailAndroidMobile&d

ABOUT THE PROGRAM

XENOS

Akram Khan is one of the most innovative choreographers in the world, drawing on the Indian classical dance form kathak to create contemporary movement. Khan has most recently choreographed for the English National Ballet, and has worked with BalletBoyz, and Cloud Gate Dance Theatre of Taiwan. In 2012, his choreography was featured in the Olympic Games Opening Ceremony.

Khan makes his Kennedy Center debut with this visceral solo work that has toured worldwide and won the 2019 Lawrence Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance. U.S. audiences now have a final opportunity to see the “work of defining greatness” (The Observer) that also marks Khan’s last full-length solo dance performance. Shifting between kathak and contemporary dance, Khan conjures the shell-shocked dreams of a colonial soldier in World War I and explores the chaos and emotions of humankind during war. Khan is joined onstage by five international musicians: percussionist B C Manjunath, vocalist Aditya Prakash, bass player Nina Harries, violinist Fra Rustumji, and saxophonist Tamar Osborn.


To purchase your tickets online, visit the event page Akram Khan Company XENOS Discount Offer and enter "443587" in the Have A Promo Code? Section to apply your discount. (Please note, this discount is applicable only in the Orchestra B, C, D, and G price sections).  

  • To purchase by phone, please call Instant Charge at 202-467-4600 and mention offer number "443587". Instant Charge is open every day from 10am-6pm.
  • You may also purchase in person at our Box Office, located on site at The Kennedy Center. The Hall of States Box Office is open Monday – Saturday, 10am – 9pm and Sunday,12pm – 9pm


Please visit our Frequently Asked Questions page for more information: https://www.kennedy-center.org/contact/ 
 

TO RECEIVE YOUR DISCOUNT BY PHONE OR IN PERSON AT THE BOX OFFICE, MENTION OFFER NUMBER “443587”.
(202) 467-4600 | Toll-free (800) 444-1324
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
*Offer subject to availability. Not valid on previously purchased tickets. Not valid in combination with any other offer. Service fees may apply. Offer may be withdrawn at any time without notice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Mariinsky engagement at the Kennedy Center in late April has been cancelled due to COVID. I suppose it was too much to hope they could visit this spring.

This is the message ticket holders just got:

We’re disappointed to share that your performance of Mariinsky Ballet’s Jewels has been canceled. Due to multiple factors, principally the ongoing global COVID-19 pandemic-related conditions, the Kennedy Center and Mariinsky Ballet have mutually concluded that this year’s engagement is not possible at this time.

The value of your tickets has been moved to a credit on your account (including parking, where applicable). This credit can be used towards a future Kennedy Center ticket purchase. Please log in to your Kennedy Center account to view your credit balance.

If you do not wish to keep these funds as a credit on your account, please visit this online form to make your selection from the following options:

• Receive a Kennedy Center gift certificate, 

• Donate the value of your tickets back to the Kennedy Center, or

• Receive a full refund for the value of the ticket and associated fees.

Edited by California
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/17/2022 at 12:38 PM, California said:

The Mariinsky engagement at the Kennedy Center in late April has been cancelled due to COVID. I suppose it was too much to hope they could visit this spring.

 

It would have likely been canceled for other reasons, just as the Bolshoi Ballet's summer 2022 tour to the UK was canceled a couple of days ago.

Sadly, this means that the two foreign offerings on the Kennedy Center ballet season of 21/22 ended up being canceled (China & Mariinsky). I asked for our family's money back (4 seats) in both cases. Our family will not subscribe to any theatrical offerings anywhere; at least, not for along long time. Hopefully the two remaining events that are of interest (ABT and NYCB) will take place. (We won't be in town for the last event.)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/6/2021 at 11:46 AM, maps said:

 

Those seats are sold for full capacity beginning 9/1/21.   https://www.kennedy-center.org/visit/covid-safety/ Realistically do I expect to see that Miami Nutcracker in a full capacity Opera House?  No.  The KC could use these theatres this summer under DC guidelines with capacity limits:   

  • Opera House cap= est 2198*25%= 549 so cap at 500.
  • Eisenhower 1161*.25%=290

Wolf Trap is doing pods like Miami's Nutcracker but the only ballet booked is Maryland Youth Ballet.  I was surprised at no ABT or TWB.  ABT is at the marvelous Salamander [Sheila Johnson resort] outdoors with rain dates perhaps on a dance floor laid on a terrace with limited lawn seating.   Perhaps they will get to stay there pre return to NYC after the arduous tour.

 


 

Reframing the Narrative promo code 468784 =25% off select seats in OR, Tier 1, Tier 2.  This includes weekend shows.  https://washington.org/deal/save-25-tickets-see-reframing-narrative-kennedy-center

KC dropped all vaccine requirements unlike NYC Lincoln Center venues, Harmon DC-TWB, Segerstrom-LA, McCaw-Seattle.  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...