This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tobi Tobias

Marina Harss has tweeted that Toby Tobias passed away today. She was long one of the ballet critics I most enjoyed reading--and most valued--in Dance Magazine and, later, New York Magazine.  As many reading this may already know, she suffered through a long illness--may she rest in peace.

2 minutes ago, Drew said:

Marina Harss has tweeted that Toby Tobias passed away today. She was long one of the ballet critics I most enjoyed reading--and most valued--in Dance Magazine and, later, New York Magazine.  As many reading this may already know, she suffered through a long illness--may she rest in peace.

Very sad news. I used to buy NY Magazine for her reviews and the crossword puzzle. 

So sorry to hear this (although her illness, whatever it was, sounds pretty bad). I read her in New York for many years. I remember her loss of that position as a sort of canary in the coal mine for the positions of staff dance critics.

I'm afraid Harss' metaphor made me think of someone coming at me gripping a Montblanc with murder on his/her mind. It's just me, I am sure.

NYT obituary: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/21/arts/dance/tobi-tobias-longtime-dance-critic-dies-at-81.html

“Sometimes I felt that she was uncomfortably brutal,” the dance writer Mindy Aloff said by email, “but she provided a beacon of integrity to the field. She was open to elements of darkness, even ugliness, as well as to beauty, as long as the choreography and performance met her standards of craft and accuracy.”