This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

PNB at the Koch Theatre June 23-28, 2020

Tickets are now on sale for the Pacific Northwest Ballet at the Koch June 23-28, 2020. Two programs, which you see when you click through to buy tickets. 

http://www.joyce.org/performances/pacific-northwest-ballet

Program A:

Agon

Choreography by George Balanchine

Opus 19/The Dreamer

Choreography by Jerome Robbins

Diamonds

Choreography by George Balanchine

Program B:

Appasionata

Choreography by Benjamin Millepied

Plot Point

Choreography by Crystal Pite

Waiting at the Station

Choreography by Twyla Tharp

http://www.joyce.org/performances/pacific-northwest-ballet

9 minutes ago, abatt said:

Thanks California.  FYI, for New Yorkers hoping to go the box office for any reason today, the Koch box office is closed because there was a massive water main break right near  Lincoln Center.  No word on when it will reopen.

The on-line site is working fine - mostly - it froze up for a bit, for no apparent reason, but works okay now.

They're competing with the ABT Swan Lake and Jane Eyre. I'd like to see the Tharp piece at PNB but don't know if I could stomach the other two (Millepied and Pite).

8 minutes ago, California said:

The on-line site is working fine - mostly - it froze up for a bit, for no apparent reason, but works okay now.

They're competing with the ABT Swan Lake and Jane Eyre. I'd like to see the Tharp piece at PNB but don't know if I could stomach the other two (Millepied and Pite).

Jane Eyre is no competition. In fact, I'm thrilled that they chose to come when Jane Eyre will be across the plaza.  By the way, you can see only the Tharp work and Diamonds on the Thursday gala program.  That way you can avoid Millliped and Pite.

Edited by abatt
1 hour ago, abatt said:

That way you can avoid Millliped and Pite.

abatt made me chuckle!  I'll give my two cents if that's helpful.

Apasionata as you know was made for Paris Opera Ballet so I was hoping it would be better than the works I had seen by BM and it is by far.  The only thing I didn't like are the pajama like costumes seen in the photo of Elizabeth Murphy and Karel Cruz dressed in white.  I can't recall the other BM pieces (that tells you something) I've seen but they were more contemporary and this one is classical although the costumes are contemporary.

I've never seen anything like Plot Point by Pite and I used to live in Manhattan so I've seen a bit of dance and theater.  I'd describe it as high dance theater.  It is very intriguing, unique and unusual.  Crystal Pite is really a genius at how she can portray emotions without words.  The movement quality is less dancy for sure.  If you go in with those expectations, and not expecting to see Emergence, then you may actually enjoy yourself.  I was only able to see it once last time in Seattle and I look forward to it's return because it's really mysterious and there's a lot to sort out (for me at least).

Oh, and I hope everyone enjoys the new Diamonds costumes.  I think they are so luscious due to the soft blush undertone instead of being just white.  It appears that nuance is coming out in the photos on the Joyce site.  Thank you Angela Sterling!

6 hours ago, abatt said:

Thanks California.  FYI, for New Yorkers hoping to go the box office for any reason today, the Koch box office is closed because there was a massive water main break right near  Lincoln Center.  No word on when it will reopen.

Wow - Looks like Venice up there! https://gothamist.com/news/photos/photos-water-main-break-near-lincoln-center?image=5