This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Natalia Osipova documentary in US cinemas

kbarber

Ballet in Cinema:
Force of Nature Natalia
cf5ed08b-6184-443d-a595-7d61450e51b6.jpg
This documentary about Natalia Osipova will be screened in cinemas across the US in December. Other January dates and venues will be announced soon. Likely coming to some Cineplex theatres in Canada in February.
Courtesy of the distributor, Tours en l'air has a pair of tickets to give away at each venue listed below. Check the list to find out if there's a screening near you, and if so then send an email to toursenlair@gmail.com with the subject line NATALIA to enter the contest. PLEASE SPECIFY WHICH VENUE YOU WOULD BE ATTENDING AND GIVE YOUR FULL NAME.
Contest closes Monday December 2.

Bloomfield Hills, MI – The Maple Theater – December 18 @ 7:30 PM
Encino, CA – Laemmle Town Center 5 – December 5, 8 @ 7:30 PM
La Jolla, CA – The Lot La Jolla – December 5 & 8 @ 6:30 PM
Larkspur, CA – The Lark Theatre – December 6-12
Los Angeles, CA – Laemmle Royal – December 8 @ 7:30 PM
NYC, NY – Symphony Space – December 7 @ 8:00 PM
Portland, OR – Clinton Street Theater  – December 15 @ 11 AM
Reston, VA – Reston Town Center 11 – December 7 @ 11:30 AM
San Ramon, CA – The Lot City Center – December 5 & 8 @ 6:30 PM
Santa Fe, NM – Violet Crown Cinema – December 7 @ 11 AM
Seattle, WA – Northwest Film Forum – December 8 @ 7:00 PM
Wilmette, IL – Wilmette Theatre – December 8 @ 2 PM

Thank you so much for posting this information!!!

Do you have any idea if the January dates and venues would be in totally different cities than the December screenings?

Currently I would have to get up early and drive to Portland to see the 11am show since I am seeing HardNut the prior evening.

Thanks again!!!

BE WARNED AND BEFORE YOU MAKE A SUBSTANTIVE JOURNEY - There is very little ballet in this film - and really very little history in terms of Osipova's balletic growth.  There is a small segment of with Osipova rehearsing Makarova's (Royal Ballet) Bayadere aside Muntagirov.  It mostly concentrates on her modern pieces - most specifically the creation of Pita's The Mother - which takes up a lot of the time in terms of footage.  This has already been broadcast on SkyArts in the UK.  

Edited by meunier fan
17 hours ago, seattle_dancer said:

Thank you so much for posting this information!!!

Do you have any idea if the January dates and venues would be in totally different cities than the December screenings?

Currently I would have to get up early and drive to Portland to see the 11am show since I am seeing HardNut the prior evening.

Thanks again!!!

full listing here

US Cinemas

Atlanta, GA – Springs Cinema & Tap House – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Bloomfield Hills, MI – The Maple Theater – December 18 @ 7:30 PM

Boston, MA – Regal Fenway & RPX – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Chicago, IL (Lincolnshire) – Regal Lincolnshire – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Cleveland, OH – Richmond Town Square – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Dallas, TX – Regal UA Galaxy Theatre – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Denver, CO – Regal Continental – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Encino, CA – Laemmle Town Center 5 – December 5, 8 @ 7:30 PM

La Jolla, CA The Lot La Jolla – December 5 & 8 @ 6:30 PM

Larkspur, CA – The Lark Theatre – December 6, 7, 10, 11

Los Angeles, CA – Laemmle Royal – December 8 @ 7:30 PM

NYC, NY Symphony Space – December 7 @ 8:00 PM

Philadelphia, PA – UA Grant Plaza – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Portland, OR – Clinton Street Theater  – December 15 @ 11 AM

Reston, VA – Reston Town Center 11 – December 7 @ 11:30 AM

San Ramon, CA The Lot City Center – December 5 & 8 @ 6:30 PM

Santa Fe, NM – Violet Crown Cinema – December 7 @ 11 AM

Scottsdale, AZ – Harkins Shea 14 – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Seattle, WA – Northwest Film Forum – December 8 @ 7:00 PM

Seattle, WA (Redmond)  – Regal Cinemas Bella Bottega – January 2020, Dates/Times TBA

Wilmette, IL – Wilmette Theatre – December 8 @ 2 PM

Thank you kbarber, I am relieved I can wait until January and make a short drive to see it then.

And thank you meunier fan for your warning.  Thankfully I will not need to drive three hours to Portland but it is good to have expectations set.  I used to travel across the States to see Osipova perform with ABT and don’t see her as often now that she is with the RB.

I’m not as fond as her modern work as much as ballet but I am happy to see her in ANYTHING as I feel she is such as amazing artist. 😍

It is true that there is not so much "ballet" in this documentary but the small La Bayadere rehearsal scene with Makarova and Nunez is valuable and also the modern part and Osipova's many confessions are very interesting.

Especially how she rehearses Arther Pita's work The Mother and also Cherkaoui's Medusa are thrilling and knowing how her passion comes through (how she was not  happy at the Bolshoi) are quite eye-opening.   

3 hours ago, seattle_dancer said:

Thank you kbarber, I am relieved I can wait until January and make a short drive to see it then.

And thank you meunier fan for your warning.  Thankfully I will not need to drive three hours to Portland but it is good to have expectations set.  I used to travel across the States to see Osipova perform with ABT and don’t see her as often now that she is with the RB.

I’m not as fond as her modern work as much as ballet but I am happy to see her in ANYTHING as I feel she is such as amazing artist. 😍

You can't get to Northwest Film Forum on the 8th?