This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Ballet at the Joyce Theater in August

Does anyone know more about this event than the website currently lists?  Performances are just a couple months away, and there's no substantial information about programming that I can find, beyond this statement:

"The Joyce’s annual Ballet Festival is curated by Director of The Royal Ballet, Kevin O’Hare, who has invited several artists associated with The Royal Ballet to construct programs based on the theme of collaboration. Program A, crafted by O’Hare, features works by Fredrick Ashton, Merce Cunningham, and Royal Ballet company choreographers. Program B is shaped by and features Royal Ballet principal Lauren Cuthbertson, who performs choreography by Canada’s Robert Binet and more. Frequent Royal Ballet designer Jean-Marc Puissant hand-picks works for Program C, and Royal Ballet principal Edward Watson performs in and selects dances for Program D."

The idea is an interesting one -- we see the Royal here in the US infrequently, and then, usually in their warhorse mode, so programming based on some other aspects of their aesthetic could be fascinating, but if they want to generate some buzz, they need to give people something to work with.

Edited by sandik

7 hours ago, sandik said:

Does anyone know more about this event than the website currently lists?  Performances are just a couple months away, and there's no substantial information about programming that I can find, beyond this statement:

"The Joyce’s annual Ballet Festival is curated by Director of The Royal Ballet, Kevin O’Hare, who has invited several artists associated with The Royal Ballet to construct programs based on the theme of collaboration. Program A, crafted by O’Hare, features works by Fredrick Ashton, Merce Cunningham, and Royal Ballet company choreographers. Program B is shaped by and features Royal Ballet principal Lauren Cuthbertson, who performs choreography by Canada’s Robert Binet and more. Frequent Royal Ballet designer Jean-Marc Puissant hand-picks works for Program C, and Royal Ballet principal Edward Watson performs in and selects dances for Program D."

The idea is an interesting one -- we see the Royal here in the US infrequently, and then, usually in their warhorse mode, so programming based on some other aspects of their aesthetic could be fascinating, but if they want to generate some buzz, they need to give people something to work with.

I thought the same thing.  I can't make any sense of it since the program information is so nebulous.  My guess is that the Joyce wasn't provided with very much information.  I've noticed that they sometimes add information details as received.

Joseph Gordon had an enigmatic post on Instagram the other day, saying  that he and David Hallberg would be performing some Bejart at The Joyce in August. I assume it must be part of Ballet Festival (there are no additional engagements at the Joyce in August) but there is no mention of Bejart in what the Joyce has posted. 

There still seems to be a fair amount of "to be announced," but it's more than we knew before.  Anyone here know when the Bejart "Songs of a Wayfarer" was last performed in the US?

37 minutes ago, sandik said:

There still seems to be a fair amount of "to be announced," but it's more than we knew before. 

The Joyce has much more specific information than the article.  See below:

Program A: Tues, Aug 6 – Fri, Aug 9
Program B: Sat, Aug 10 – Sun, Aug 11
Program C: Tues, Aug 13 – Thurs, Aug 15
Program D: Fri, Aug 16 – Sun, Aug 18

Program A – August 6-9

Curated by Kevin O’Hare

Featuring:

Artists of The Royal Ballet Lauren Cuthbertson, Nicol Edmonds, Sarah Lamb, Romany Pajdak, Calvin Richardson, Marcelino Sambé, Joseph Sissens, Beatriz Stix-Brunell and Edward Watson

Works by Frederick Ashton, Kenneth MacMillan, Wayne McGregor, Christopher Wheeldon, Liam Scarlett, Calvin Richardson, Charlotte Edmonds

Program B – August 10-11

Curated by Lauren Cuthbertson

Featuring:

Artists of The Royal Ballet Lauren Cuthbertson, Nicol Edmonds, and Marcelino Sambé

Artists of the National Ballet of Canada Skylar Campbell, Hannah Fischer,

Spencer Hack, and Xiao Nan Yu

Artists of the American Ballet Theatre Aran Bell and Devon Teuscher

Two Sides by Juliano Nunes

New Work by Stina Quagebeur

New Work by Gemma Bond

Darl by Jonathan Watkins

Dialogue Dances by Robert Binet

Program C – August 13-15

Curated by Jean-Marc Puissant

Featuring:

Artists of The Royal Ballet Sarah Lamb, Romany Pajdak, Calvin Richardson, Marcelino Sambé, Joseph Sissens, and Beatriz Stix-Brunell

Artists of American Ballet Theatre Zimmi Coker, Thomas Forster, Anabel Katsnelson, Betsy McBride, Courtney Shealy, Cassandra Trenary, and Stephanie Williams

Special Guests:

Joseph Gordon (New York City Ballet)

David Hallberg (American Ballet Theatre)

Erez Milatin (New York Theatre Ballet)

Then and Again by Gemma Bond

Song of a Wayfarer by Maurice Bejart

Elite Syncopations divertissement by Kenneth MacMillan

Program D – August 16-18

Curated by Edward Watson

Featuring:

Artists of The Royal Ballet Edward Watson and Sarah Lamb;

Special Guests:

Robert Fairchild (formerly of New York City Ballet)

Maria Kowroski (New York City Ballet)

3 with D by Javier de Frutos

New Work by Mauro Bigonzetti

New Work by Laila Diallo

TBD Solo

Cristaux by Arthur Pita

On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2019 at 4:43 PM, sandik said:

Anyone here know when the Bejart "Songs of a Wayfarer" was last performed in the US?

I can't answer your specific question but the attached link gives a history of Nureyev's involvement with Songs of the Wayfarer:

https://nycdancestuff.wordpress.com/2013/07/27/maurice-bejarts-songs-of-the-wayfarer-1971-2/

Apparently, after the deaths of Paolo Bortoluzzi, Jorge Donn and Nureyev (all of whom were closely associated with the piece), Maurice Bejart rarely consented to let it be performed while he was alive. I think Bejart's foundation has eased up a bit on this since his death as it is now performed somewhat regularly in Europe.

Rehearsal footage with Bejart, Bortoluzzi and Nureyev:

Edited by miliosr

10 hours ago, sandik said:

I did see this on one of the Nureyev and Friends tours in Vancouver BC in the late 1980s. 

I remember it too! I think Dennis Wayne’s company may also have danced it. At least I have a memory of seeing it with them as well.

21 hours ago, Lynette H said:

It was done by English National Ballet in London in 2013, with Vadim Muntagirov. 

Were you able to see it?  And if you did, what did you think. 

My memory of it is totally wrapped up in Nureyev's performance, so I don't really feel that I have a clear idea about the ballet itself, except that it's a remarkable vehicle for someone with great expressive skills.

I did see it, and dug about to see if I kept any notes from then, but I didn't turn up anything. I think the response was in general very positive.  Though maybe it was a bit overshadowed by the Raymonda Act 3 on he same bill. There is a review which gives you some idea

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/theatre/dance/10203868/A-Tribute-to-Nureyev-English-National-Ballet-Review.html

Thanks for the link -- glad for the characterization of the work and that performance, but this made me smile:

"Act III of Raymonda, which closes the bill, inhabits a different balletic universe altogether: the one in which classicism comes to Ruritania."

Snap!

On 7/23/2019 at 5:44 PM, Leah said:

Have people received their tickets for this yet? I ordered mine in early July and they haven't arrived.

Yes, I received mine weeks ago.  I ordered back in May though.

On 7/23/2019 at 5:44 PM, Leah said:

Have people received their tickets for this yet? I ordered mine in early July and they haven't arrived.

Yes, I received mine weeks ago as well.  The Joyce is usually very efficient about mailing out tickets.  You may want to give them a call if you ordered them in early July.

I'd be interested to hear reports of this.  Re Programme A, I did wonder if the Ashton pieces might be those featured at the recent Fonteyn gala - Pajdak did the Wise Virgins solo and Stix-Brunell  a brief solo from Nocturne. Both collectors' items. Perhaps the  Edmonds piece might be the solo she made for Joseph Sissens seen on World Ballet day last year.  There is also a self-choreographed solo by Calvin Richardson which I recall has cropped up in galas. 

Here is Program A:

Curated by Kevin O'Hare
August 6-9
Dance of the Blessed Spirits by Sir Frederick Ashton
Five Brahms Waltzes in the Manner of Isadora Duncan by Sir Frederick Ashton Soda Pop by Charlotte Edmonds
Concerto Pas de Deux by Kenneth MacMillan
Obsidian Tear by Wayne McGregor
Qualia by Wayne McGregor
Asphodel Meadows Pas de Deux by Liam Scarlett
Within the Golden Hour Pas de Deux by Christopher Wheeldon