This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT 2019 Gala and Ratmansky Trio

Or...ABT could extend Brooklyn Mack's guest run, to include ballets other than Corsaire. Brooklyn has already danced Siegfried opposite Misty, with Washington Ballet, for ex.

Cornejo is due to dance with Misty in Swan Lake - one of her two NY performances, as well as at Wolf Trap, VA, a couple of weeks later. Brooklyn is "Siegfried-With-Misty Ready"!

Misty's other Swan Lake at the Met will be with Hallberg, so I guess that one's safe.

Edited by Roberta
41 minutes ago, Roberta said:

Or...ABT could extend Brooklyn Mack's guest run, to include ballets other than Corsaire. Brooklyn has already danced Siegfried opposite Misty, with Washington Ballet, for ex.

Cornejo is due to dance with Misty in Swan Lake - one of her two NY performances, as well as at Wolf Trap, VA, a couple of weeks later. Brooklyn is "Siegfried-With-Misty Ready"!

Misty's other Swan Lake at the Met will be with Hallberg, so I guess that one's safe.

From the tone of these messages, it sounds like Cornejo's injury is serious? Is something posted somewhere? I find it ominous that he's been silent on Instagram this week -- he's usually very active telling us about his favorite foods, exercise routines, etc., etc. 

Hallberg is also injury prone, of course, but we'll stay optimistic about that one for now!

On 5/21/2019 at 11:14 AM, ABT Fan said:

Would Simkin get his debut as Prince Desire?

It was six years ago and a different production, but Simkin made his debut as Prince Desire on July 3, 2013 with Sarah Lane as Princess Aurora.   That’s one casting I will never forget as I had tickets for the performance, but wound up in the hospital having emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed.   I’ve never seen him cast in the role again, but I’d love to see it.

Saw Wednesday night’s Ratmansky Trio, what a lovely evening! 

Seasons: a great addition to the rep. In the program, Ratmansky called it his “love letter” to ABT on their 10th anniversary and it really feels like one. It brims over with wonderful, distinctive solos that give many dancers a chance to shine (including those who don’t get the spotlight has frequently). Breanne Grandlund, a corps dance, doing one of the spring solos, stood out to me for the first time, as did Joo Ahn in the Winter segment. Catherine Hurlin I was already a big fan of, but she was absolutely stunning as a Bacchante. And Stella had a gorgeous, meaty role as the Spirit of the Corn. The Summer segment has a great sequence where students from JKO are incorporated in a way that actually deepens the choreography rather than distracts (obviously not always the case as in Harlequinade). It’s relatively long, so in future I’d rather see it as the first piece on a program rather than the last. 

Dnieper: I REALLY miss Veronika in the Natalia role. Seo looked beautiful but I didn’t get the emotional depth and nuance from her veronika brought. Shevchenko, though, is better than I remember Herrera ever being in the role when she premiered it. Intense, passionate, and emotionally compelling! She portrays the character’s torment so well you feel sympathy for her even though she’s not the most sympathetic character. Strong performances from James and, surprisingly, Cory in their roles (though Cory is no Marcelo). 

Songs of Bukovina has so much of interest, I felt like there was a lot I only really took in on my second viewing. Isabella danced the very tricky footwork and tempo changes very well. 

23 hours ago, NinaFan said:

It was six years ago and a different production, but Simkin made his debut as Prince Desire on July 3, 2013 with Sarah Lane as Princess Aurora.   That’s one casting I will never forget as I had tickets for the performance, but wound up in the hospital having emergency surgery to have my gallbladder removed.   I’ve never seen him cast in the role again, but I’d love to see it.

Not to derail the thread but, as NinaFan mentioned the wish to see Simkin as Prince Desire:  He's a permanent principal in the Berlin Staatsballett, which is producing Marcia Haydee's Sleeping Beauty, commencing 15 Feb 2020. NinaFan may want to keep an eye to the casting, via this link:

https://www.staatsballett-berlin.de/en/spielplan/dornroschen-2/15-02-2020/947

I was there Thursday night and what a fabulous evening!

First, Veronika Part was in the audience sitting close to me in the orchestra. I did a double-take. How fitting that I saw her right before On the Dnieper started. I’d have loved to known her thoughts.

I didn’t like Songs of Bukovina when it first premiered, but this time I loved it. I saw Boylston/Shayer (a last minute replacement for an injured Lendorf) two years ago and thought they were mismatched, though Shayer did a commendable job given the circumstances. Also I thought the choreography was too folksy, but not this time. Interesting. Thursday, Shevchenko/Royal were sublime - perfectly matched in strength and command with wonderful chemistry. Outstanding dancing from both. Williams and Bell were the soloist stand-outs, both with an increased level of confidence and overall level of dancing. 

On the Dnieper didn’t have the same intensity and punch as Gomes and Part brought to it, but I think their performances would be nearly impossible to match. I do love this ballet, and am so glad they brought it back. Forster was incredible. I’m so glad I saw him. Gorgeous dancing (what flexibility and those feet!), wonderful partnering, and his acting was intense. Why, oh why, isn’t this man doing a Siegfried this year????? He and Shevchenko would be perfect. Teuscher surprised me as Natalia. I didn’t doubt she’d dance well, but she’s so cool and her acting is usually so muted or nonexistent.  What she did here she should bring to her O/O which according to what i saw last year really needs to be taken up a notch. Hurlin was the “wow” of the evening. I wanted to specifically see her and Forster. I think Olga was an important debut for her. She’s shown for awhile that she has the technical/physical goods (beautiful, strong technique, lovely port de bras, comic ability, long arms/legs, beautiful feet), but here she demonstrated a dramatic intensity and instinct that combined with everything else should make her a no-brainer for O/O especially, plus Giselle, Juliet, and so on, in the next few years. Personally, I’m waiting impatiently for O/O (with Forster, Royal?). 

I am in agreement with what most everyone else has said about The Seasons. An incredibly, beautifully choreographed ballet. The lack of scenery is a problem, it’s obviously needed here. Some of the costumes are stunning and “work”, others make you scratch your head. Overall, it looks like they cleaned out the wardrobe inventory and just threw everything they found onstage. Er, no. However, it was a gift to see so much spectacular dancing from so many. Bell’s maturity and stage presence has significantly increased from last year; he dances like a soloist now. Williams was again a stand-out as was Hurlin, whirling around the stage at break-neck speed. Lane was perfect as Rose, and that “rose adagio” was wow! I thought Boylston was strong yet lovely as Corn (except those hands and port de bras, argh!) but she had some uncharacteristic fumbles at the end of multiple pirouettes. I was afraid she’d injured herself and that’s why she had difficulty, but thankfully that didn’t seem to be the case, because she continued on well afterwards. Trenary/Hoven as the Autumn leads didn’t seem to have enough to do. I think we can all be confident that this will return again in the Fall, and I will not miss it. Here’s hoping Ratmansky makes some adjustments (add some bloody scenery, please) that will make Mother Nature proud. (Couldn’t help it...!)