This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

NYCB at the Met

4 hours ago, BalanchineFan said:

This was a lovely event. I had no idea Silas Farley had done so much choreography. Here are a few promotional articles about the work.

https://www.metmuseum.org/events/programs/met-live-arts/songs-from-the-spirit-1

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/03/07/arts/dance/silas-farley-metarts-live-metropolitan-museum.html

Farley seems to have a promising future beyond performing. I saw the NYCB dancers at MOMA, earlier this month, as part of the Lincoln Kirstein exhibit. He introduce the pieces and offered insights and historic context. He is very comfortable in that kind of educator/leader position. By the way Laracey looked amazing!!

On 3/28/2019 at 7:34 PM, vipa said:

I saw the NYCB dancers at MOMA, earlier this month, as part of the Lincoln Kirstein exhibit. ... By the way Laracey looked amazing!!

Vipa, How was Unity Phelan in Concerto Barocco? I hoped to get to the performance at MoMA but I was moving that weekend. 

The best thing in this mini-program was Huxley's Melancholic. Lovely to see the 4Ts upclose. CB looked okay danced in this setting (imagine a rehearsal space surrounded by crowds). Farley was very articulate and had great bearing as a presenter. I just found his style to be too earnest. 

Frankly I was a little surprised that the dancers would agree to this, six performances of the same excerpts over three days. (And Farley had to repeat what he said with the same enthusiasm and projection six times, and conduct an interview with one of the curators who did the same thing. Gotta feel a little mechanical at the end.)

10 hours ago, cobweb said:

Vipa, How was Unity Phelan in Concerto Barocco? I hoped to get to the performance at MoMA but I was moving that weekend. 

I liked Phelan in the excerpt they did. It was to live piano, and a bit more up tempo than usual. Both Phelan and Laracey moved quickly and cleanly, on the edge of rushed. It was a very lecture/demo kind of setting which always presents challenges in terms of space and audience moving in and out, but most dancers have done a ton of things like this.