This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I wasn't sure the best place to post this and my intent was to add this to a conversation going on in the "Press Releases and Season Announcements" section, but for some reason I am unable to post a reply there.

I didn't see the performance, but I have contributors to The Traveling Ballerina who did. This is their review. Personally, don't think it's my cup of tea.

Edited by The Traveling Ballerina

(I am also experiencing the same problem posting in the earlier topic)

I will be going to the NYC performance of Sleeping Beauty Dreams on December 14th. I actually did some work in university on new, aesthetic, performance related possibilities of VR/AR, so I'm mostly going for the projected elements. I'm curious to see how they are integrated into the performance. In the past, dance performances I've seen that use projection/AR/VR fail to integrate them into a performance in a meaningful way. (Barak Ballet's E/SPACE comes to mind. It was lovely, but the projections really felt like a gimmick.) I'm curious to see what approach SPD takes.

But the main reason I'm posting in advance of the performance is because the Beacon Theatre is currently running a promotion on Sleeping Beauty Dreams tickets that I wanted to share. Code "BEAUTY" will apparently get you 25% off select tickets/seating sections on Ticketmaster, for anyone else who is curious.

The Traveling Ballerina review (which I found via your website; the link posted just brings me back to this page) mentioned Vishneva performing to a "partially full" house in Miami. Perhaps the performance isn't selling much better here in New York....

I went to the 12/15 performance. For the first 20 minutes or so I thought  Sleeping Beauty Nightmares would have been a better title - typical contemporary dance angst choreography. Though since this was a Vishnea project it was danced at a very high level. 

It improved - the projections were interesting and while the electronica music bore no resemblance to anything I can imagine accompanying Petipa's Aurora's 100 year's worth of dreams, if you took it on its own terms it was interesting.

Gomes did not appear in tonight's performance - the prince was danced by a thin blond dancer. There were no programs or cast lists so if anyone knows who it was please post his name.

indeed, one of the few programs to be had last night at the Beacon listed Nicholas Palmquist as performing "The prince" (December 15).

after Gomes's name the dates December 7, 8 and 14 were given.