This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

42 minutes ago, dirac said:

We can all agree on that! I assume the producers had legal advice to make sure they were in the clear with regard to rights, but perhaps not. I certainly won't cry if Wheeldon and Co. find themselves in legal hot water over this.

I don't think it even occurred to the producers to make sure that they had the rights to the choreography.  That was Wheeldon's responsibility as the director and choreographer of record.  He presumably brought in Rich and Tone Talauega,  who are credited for "Michael Jackson movement".  Vince Paterson,  Michael Peters and Jeffrey Daniel are not unknown kids on Tik Tok.  They are not hard to find.  This was a major lapse.

Luckily the remedy is simple - pay up.  Ron Chernow wrote the book that inspired Lin-Manuel Miranda to create Hamilton.  Miranda gave Chernow 1% of his share of the royalties.  From the Broadway production alone,  Chernow earns about $900,000 per year.  MJ the Musical looks to be a smash hit.  They need to compensate the creators who rarely see that kind of payday,  but should.

Wheeldon is interviewed by Sarah L. Kaufman in The Washington Post.

“Lynn and I felt we needed to look at this as making a piece of entertainment first and foremost,” Wheeldon says. “Our work as artists is to make something that’s honest but also entertaining, that has a point of view without being in any way judgmental, and makes space for the points of view of the individual audience members. We worked hard to create a work that gives everyone space to bring in their own feelings about Michael, and not in any way be judgmental.”

"Not in any way judgmental." Yeesh.

Nary a mention of Jackson's collaborators, either.

On 5/9/2022 at 9:08 AM, abatt said:

The Tony nominations were announced today. MJ The Musical got 10 noms, including Best New Musical, Best Director for Wheeldon,  and Best Choreography for Wheeldon.

And the winner for "Best Choreography" is . . . Christopher Wheeldon.