This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Poll: The Director of the Paris Opera Ballet

Poll: The Director of the Paris Opera Ballet  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who Should Be the Director of the Paris Opera Ballet?

• Eleanora Abbagnato
    • Jean-Guillaume Bart
    • Kader Belarbi
    • Claude Bessy
    • Aurelie Dupont (Stay-the-Course Option)
    • Sylvie Guillem
    • Laurent Hilaire
    • Manuel Legris
    • Nicolas Le Riche
    • Other (Please Specify)

Anyone who can do the best job that they're able and who'll feature Myriam Ould-Braham as much as possible. I feel about her as I do about Svetlana Zakharova/Olga Smirnova/Alyona Kovalyova at the Bolshoi and did about Ulyana Lopatkina at the Mariinsky. They are one of a kind gems. And I'd love to see a lot more of her.

If there are serious issues to be redressed at the POB then I wouldn't know whom to suggest, but I would hope that it would be the most capable and sympathetic person possible. Since there is in fact a Director, Aurelie Dupont, then maybe she deserves all the support possible, unless things really seem needing of another person.

Edited by Buddy
1 hour ago, Mashinka said:

Patrice Bart is seventy two.  In most companies that would exclude him from the running, are things different in France.

It is former etoile  Jean-Guillaume Bart, not Patrick Bart who is the subject of this poll. He was born in 1972, so still young. 

I voted for Manuel Legris for a number of reasons. He grew up there and knows that house inside-and-out. He's smart. He has good taste. I believe he has enough intelligence not to try to turn that place upside down. And I've only heard good things about his time in Vienna. I think he might do it very well. I do, however, think it a bit early to get on the bandwagon about Ms. Dupont. I say give her a chance. 

I voted for Claude Bessy, even though this is not at all realistic (due to her age and her frail health), Jean-Guillaume Bart in the 2nd place, Manuel Legris in the 3rd. I am so sorry the last 25 years have been wasted, when the people like Bessy, or Lacotte, could have been great directors providing the sense of vision and artistic leadership. Instead, we have experienced over 20 years of vigorously burying ballet in Paris by two ladies who share one thing in common, their lack of love for ballet, Brigitte Lefèvre, the final gravestone placed on its grave by Aurélie Dupont.

On 4/24/2018 at 2:07 AM, Gnossie said:

Last time I checked the option on the poll was Jean-Guillaume Bart, not Patrice Bart, last time I checked I was talking about Jean-Guillaume Bart, not Patrice Bart and also last time I checked Jean-Guillaume Bart was 46 years old, not 72.

I hope they are not related. Patrice Bart's takes on the classical full-length ballets are worse than Nureyev's.