This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tobias Leibovitz

Tobias Leibovitz, well known to ballet fans the world over as the owner/manager of the Ballet Shop, passed away on August 7. There has not been an obituary but I post this having come from his funeral yesterday. I may have some further detail from the family within a few days, but wanted this as a short mention for those who knew him and the shop for lo those many years.

Thank you for sharing this sad news. I remember the Ballet Shop very well (and can picture Mr. Leibovitz in my head though I did not know him personally)--it was a wonderful place to find all kinds of books, programs, photos etc. At a certain time in my life I would drop in before almost every ballet performance I attended.

A few years ago, quite by chance, I picked up a photo of the shop from an outdoor book (and-what-not) seller near Lincoln Center.

RIP Tobias Leibovitz...

Thank you for posting. My rare trips to NYC always miss The Ballet Shop. Being always early for the ballet, it was a wonderful place for me to wander through as a young ballet student awaiting the ballet to begin. I have a large ballet memorabilia collection, I believe because I was so fascinated by his store. He was always encouraging to me, although I am sure he was only trying to sell a book or two. He was a part of my ballet life, while he was unaware, from my childhood until the shop closed. He influenced my love of all things Russian ballet.

May he rest in peace.

Toby L. was also one of the great collectors of ballet films, books and memorabilia. His partner in life and co-owner of the Ballet Shop, Norm, preceded him in death a few years ago. I reminder both of them fondly, as well as a very kind associate, Joe,who usually helped customers at the front of the shop.

RIP, Toby Leibovitz!

Toby L. was also one of the great collectors of ballet films, books and memorabilia. His partner in life and co-owner of the Ballet Shop, Norm, preceded him in death a few years ago. I reminder both of them fondly, as well as a very kind associate, Joe,who usually helped customers at the front of the shop.

RIP, Toby Leibovitz!

Do you know how old he was?