This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

From their Facebook page:

*Just Announced* Lincoln Center at the Movies: Great American Dance presents SF Ballet's Romeo & Juliet on the big screen! We are thrilled to share this opportunity with Ballet Hispanico, Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater, and New York City Ballet. See Romeo & Juliet in a theater near you on September 24: http://bit.ly/1IH6ETf

San Francisco Ballet’s production of Romeo & Juliet is made possible by Production Sponsor First Republic Bank. Additional support is provided by The Diana Dollar Knowles Foundation and Denise Littlefield Sobel. The original production of Helgi Tomasson’s Romeo & Juliet was made possible by the E. L. Wiegand Foundation.

Fathom Events Link: http://www.fathomevents.com/event/san-francisco-ballet

Sounds like some other companies are in too. Exciting!

I started a new topic, "Lincoln Center at the Movies" a few hours ago with this same information. Perhaps an administrator could combine?

The "live" part is also dubious. NYCB is showing their 2011 broadcast of Nutcracker. Somebody else here said they were at an Ailey performance with signs "being recorded for broadcast." Is the SF Ballet "live" or is that a previous performance?

I started a new topic, "Lincoln Center at the Movies" a few hours ago with this same information. Perhaps an administrator could combine?

The "live" part is also dubious. NYCB is showing their 2011 broadcast of Nutcracker. Somebody else here said they were at an Ailey performance with signs "being recorded for broadcast." Is the SF Ballet "live" or is that a previous performance?

I'm so sorry; I didn't see it. I looked in the SF Ballet forum and here thinking they'd be the most likely places for the news. Apologies!

Maria Kochetkova had mentioned on her Twitter page that she was being filmed in R & J, at the end of the season. So this must be where that footage is going to appear. It wouldn't actually be 'live', but was an actual season performance that was recorded.

From May 6: "First performance/filming of R&J is done, one more tomorrow night @ San Francisco War Memorial and"… https://instagram.com/p/2WzPnGEUfX/

Didn't Ripa host the cinemacast of NYCB's Nutcracker a few years ago? Perhaps Ripa and Strahan are the "New York" link to this performance, given that it wasn't actually filmed at Lincoln Center.

Perhaps as an intermission feature viewers can look forward to a fitness comparison between Strahan and Davit Karapetyan, or Karapetyan teaching Strahan how to lift Maria Kochetkova over his head, or, better yet, Strahan lifting Ripa over his head...

Frankly, I wasn't thrilled with the presentation. The cinematography was dizzying, with the camera cutting in too frequently to show close-ups. I have no desire to count every eyelash when watching a ballet performance, and would rather see more of the stage and decide for myself which of the dancers to watch. It definitely took away from my enjoyment. I had not seen Tomasson’s choreography before, but liked what I could see of it, and would love to watch it in a more traditional presentation. The costumes were lovely.

I have no desire to count every eyelash when watching a ballet performance, and would rather see more of the stage and decide for myself which of the dancers to watch. It definitely took away from my enjoyment.

It's dispapointing to hear that SFB allowed this approach to the cinematography - ballet fans often complain about intrusive close-up camerawork - it's just not possible to see the scope of the dancing. There's no whole to be perceived. Ah well, I guess I won't be waiting with bated breath for the DVD release.

In case anyone missed them the first time around, three performances from the Lincoln Center at the Movies series are returning to U.S. cinemas this summer, the Alvin Ailey American Dance Theater on Tuesday, July 26, Ballet Hispanico on Tuesday, August 2, and San Francisco Ballet's Romeo & Juliet on Tuesday, August 9, all starting at 7:00 pm local time. A list of cinemas for each showing can be found by clicking on the gray "more info" button.