This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Reviews of ABT's La Bayadere

I do agree with him re: Makarova's production. By stripping down so much of La Bayadere she's made it a somewhat empty star vehicle. The versions that other companies do involve character dancing and other variations that would give much more opportunities to the corps and soloists.

I do agree with him re: Makarova's production. By stripping down so much of La Bayadere she's made it a somewhat empty star vehicle. The versions that other companies do involve character dancing and other variations that would give much more opportunities to the corps and soloists.

I agree and "star vehicle" is the key IMO. That's why it doesn't work at all without real star power. Unless you have truly masterful performances from the principals the thing falls apart.

I agree and "star vehicle" is the key IMO. That's why it doesn't work at all without real star power. Unless you have truly masterful performances from the principals the thing falls apart.

Well Kim and Gillian are stars but really you need a great Nikiya. And I have to agree that Hee was bland and forgettable. And yes, without 3 comparable star leads, the ballet falls apart.