This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Mark Morris on PBS

the Diaghilev docu. turns out the be the little video that the National Gallery of Art, in DC put together for the gallery's version of the bigger Diaghilev show that was mounted two? years earlier at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

the NGA video was released on dvd and sold at the exhibition. it's under 30 min. and may still be available.

the Diaghilev docu. turns out the be the little video that the National Gallery of Art, in DC put together for the gallery's version of the bigger Diaghilev show that was mounted two? years earlier at the Victoria and Albert Museum in London.

the NGA video was released on dvd and sold at the exhibition. it's under 30 min. and may still be available.

I was wondering if it was available to purchase -- I'll investigate and report back.

This is one of the best-filmed dances in recent memory. The editing was intelligently done, sensitively paced. So much better than, say, their Miami City Ballet program a couple of years ago that seemed to have been edited by Teens Gone Wild.

I haven't caught up with this broadcast yet, myself, not having known about it far enough in advance to see the broadcast, so it's good to read here that it'll be available for three years! That ought to give me enough time.

Also good to read that the dancing was put on screen well. Has anybody noticed who the director was? I always believe in giving credit where it's due, even more than blame.

PBS's NYCB Nutcracker of 2011 was atrociously put on screen. If that's the one Natalia means, I couldn't agree more, although replaying my off-air recording to try to get around that problem, I thought the performance seriously lacking as well. (Just a week later, I saw Villella's MCB do that wonderful Balanchine ballet justice in Fort Lauderdale. Of course watching from a good seat in a good theater is the best "editing" of all.)

I had a very god time with L'Allegro in the theater and consider it one of Morris's best. It'll be good to try to revisit, even diminished as I think dance inevitably must be somewhat, on screen.

The director was Vincent Bataillon, who also directs the Bolshoi's live-to-cinema broadcasts. I'm afraid PBS can't take any of the credit for his French and Spanish crew.

I'm guessing this means the DVD will come out on the Bel Air Classiques label, but right now there is no sign of it on the company's site either.

Dear Jack, I meant the crazily-edited MIAMI City Ballet bill that included Western Symph, among others. That Nutcracker that you mention was also poorly edited. So PBS itself did not produce/edit the Mark Morris? Vive la differance y la diferencia!

Aside from all the details about DVDs, I thought it was a lovely program -- Morris' work is deceptively simple, in that his choices always feel so inevitable, and yet are nothing I would have thought up on my own. I'm very glad to have this on my computer screen for the next couple years as an antidote to bad times and difficult experiences.

I also enjoyed the program very much. It's a masterpiece. I've been lucky enough to see it live several times, but I felt like I could see even more detail in the taped version. I wish they had put the text at the bottom of the screen, or at least a download of the text on the PBS website for those who wanted it.

Always true to himself, Morris did not alter from his usual wardrobe choices for the taping. At the end of the show, in his usual manner, he took his bows in an ill fitting T-shirt and orange crocs.

I found the dedication of the program to Gerard Mortier very touching and appropriate. Mortier ran the Brussels La Monnaie at the time that Morris' L'Allegro premiered there in the late 80s. Mortier and Morris -two visionary artists.

I found the dedication of the program to Gerard Mortier very touching and appropriate. Mortier ran the Brussels La Monnaie at the time that Morris' L'Allegro premiered there in the late 80s. Mortier and Morris -two visionary artists.

Yes, Mortier's invitation to the company was an incredible moment in their development. I think Morris was already on his way to being the artist he is now, but the chance to create on that scale, with that kind of support (and then to have to defend his aesthetic in that environment) was a big jump-start in that process.