This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ABT to perform in Beijing, China

AMERICAN BALLET THEATRE TO MAKE

HISTORIC VISIT TO BEIJING, NOVEMBER 12-15, 2009

Engagement Marks First Performances by American Ballet Company at Newly Constructed National Centre for the Performing Arts

American Ballet Theatre will give six performances in Beijing, China, November 12-15, 2009, it was announced today by Artistic Director Kevin McKenzie. The tour represents ABT’s first visit to China’s capital city and the first performances by an American ballet company at the recently constructed National Centre for the Performing Arts, also known as The Egg.

American Ballet Theatre’s Beijing engagement includes four performances of the full-length ballet Don Quixote, staged by Kevin McKenzie and Susan Jones, with choreography after Marius Petipa and Alexander Gorsky. Two repertory programs of works from the Company’s Avery Fisher Hall season (October 7-10) will also be presented. Ballets on the repertory program include works by Aszure Barton, Benjamin Millepied and ABT Artist in Residence Alexei Ratmansky.

American Ballet Theatre previously performed in Hong Kong and Shanghai in 2000.

I noticed that the ABT has a tour package on offer on its website, to visit China (including Xian and the Terracotta Warriors) while the ABT is touring there:

http://www.abt.org/pdfs/2009PatronTourChina.pdf

I can't make this particular tour (and the tour is, not unexpectedly, on the expensive side), but I wonder if the ABT has offered this type of travel package in the past, with the ABT company tour of foreign countries?

Please let me know if anyone wants a translation of the articles. Thus far they've seemed like translated press releases and rehashed itineraries. The press conference in Beijing a few posts up talks about the administration 'eagerly anticipating' a 'next time' in China, but that's probably just your PR at work.