This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

The tricky part would (for me) be the orchestra. I'm not sure you will ever find a really first-rate orchestra playing for a ballet company, but some ballet orchestras play quite well. Apart from that, though, I think there are quite a few DVD's of the quality you describe. Is there a particular ballet you're looking for?

The two most recent Mariinsky Ballet DVDs are both splendidly conducted by Gergiev: SWAN LAKE starring Lopatkina and NUTCRACKER starring Golub/Sarafanov. Splendid soloists and corps in both. Rich, luxurious sets and costumes in both. A world-class orchestra in both. Furthermore, both are filmed in crisp, brilliant high definition which, to me, is an equally important criterion to grading today's DVDs.

To the above, I would add the Mariinsky's NEW YEARS EVE GALA on 2007/08, which includes Act III of SLEEPING BEAUTY + DYING SWAN. Again -- great orchestra and conductor, superb soloists and corps, spectacular sets/costumes, brilliant filming.

The two most recent Mariinsky Ballet DVDs are both splendidly conducted by Gergiev: SWAN LAKE starring Lopatkina and NUTCRACKER starring Golub/Sarafanov

Interesting difference of opinion. I like most things about the Mariinsky 'Swan Lake' except for Gergiev's conducting. I don't like the 'Nutcracker' one bit.

The tricky part would (for me) be the orchestra.

Definitely. For example, I'm very fond of the Australian Ballet's 'Coppelia,' but the orchestral playing leaves a lot to be desired.

I'm a dissenter on the Royal Ballet "Sleeping Beauty". I think Cojocaru's performance is worth the disk, but I don't think it meets the criteria of overall excellence. I don't think all of the fairies, for example, are exemplary, and the corps don't have the style that they have in the past, even from when I saw them in the 1980's.

How about the Mariinsky's older Nutcracker with Lezhnina? My personal favourite. :wub:

I agree. The early Maryinsky efforts are superior on every level. My choices are the Kolpakova/Berezhnoi "Sleeping Beauty" & "Raymonda," the Komleva/Abdyev/Terekhova "La Bayadere," the Makhalina/Zelensky & Mezentseva/Zaklinsky Swan Lake" DVDs. Honorable Mention: The Tchyentchikova/Zaklinsky "Swan Lake" (PBS tape of the 1986 U.S. Tour at Wolf Trap Farm) is also excellent. Recorded during the telecast, the late conductor Evgeny Kolobov, (who died young), realized a musical performance despite the bad acoustics, that is a benediction to his artistry. Shirokov conducted the "Bayadere" & the "Raymonda" and the late great Victor Fedotov conducted the Lezhnina "Nutcracker," her 1989 "Beauty" with Ruzimatov, and the two "Lakes." The Bolshoi's "Prokofiev 100th Anniversary Gala" DVD (1991) was recorded live with Semenyaka, Semizorova, Bylova, Vetrov, and Archipova. It features rare backstage interviews with Ulanova, Vetrov & Semenyaka and

is extremely fine. The gala program consisted of Act 1 of "Ivan the Terrible," Act 2 of "Romeo & Juliet," (the Grigorovich version), and Act 2 of "The Stone Flower." Vetrov is interviewed while he's making up and preparing to dance Ivan. Ulanova gives her impressions about the ballet Ivan the Terrible, and her memories of working with Prokofiev. Semenyaka gives an impromptu interview immediately following her Act 2 Juliet, right behind the curtain. In "Stone Flower" Act 2, Semizorova dances a powerful Mistress of the Copper Mountain, and the character dancers out do themselves in this Act. IMO the company, the orchestra and the Bolshoi Theatre itself, never looked or sounded better on tape.

Interesting difference of opinion. I like most things about the Mariinsky 'Swan Lake' except for Gergiev's conducting. I don't like the 'Nutcracker' one bit.

I love the Lopatkina DVD; Gergiev envelops her in the music. But, in general Maestro Gergiev isn't a ballet conductor and he doesn't conduct ballet very often. Last month, he conducted the premiere of Ratmansky's new "Little Humpbacked Horse" during the Maryinsky International Ballet Festival. He pays meticulous attention to detail, but he rushes through Tchaikovsky. For example, in Act 1 Scene 2 & Act 3 of Lopatkina's DVD, the corps keeps up with him. However, they seem to be rushing toward his musical deadline in order to finish the patterns on time and in unison. This is especially the case with Act 3. If you compare the other two "Lake" DVDs and the Kolobov videotape with Lopatkina's, there's a huge difference. Fedotov and Kolobov, like Antal Dorati - let Tchaikovsky breathe. On the other hand, Gergiev hits all the points with all things Prokofiev. For example, his complete "Romeo & Juliet" on Phillips is simply outstanding. Another favorite is the Paris Opera Ballet's "Jewels" DVD. It may be Gallic Balanchine, but Paul Connelly and the pit are right on.