This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Which dancers? What program? for the Obamas

A new leaf is being turned in Washington. So why not start thinking about how to bring about a return to the days when the White House was a showcase for major cultural events and a center of advocacy for the higher arts?

Let's imagine that the Obamas throw a big state dinner and want to put on an evening devoted to ballet (possibly among other forms of dance.) Public television has actually been persuaded to film AND SHOW NATIONALLY this program, as in the old days. The broadcast will be picked up world-wide.

Who should be invited to perform? Dancing what? (It doesn't have to be all-American performers, by the way.)

Here's is your chance to design a program and change the world's perception of (a) ballet as an art and (b) a renewed respect for the higher arts in Washington.

I'd start with a gala tribute to "stamp-worthy" American choreographers, but wouldn't limit it to ballet. In alphabetical order(and I'm sure I'm omitting someone obvious from the list):

Alvin Ailey

George Balanchine

Merce Cunningham

Martha Graham

Mark Morris

Paul Taylor

Twyla Tharp

Once we get the obligatory, tribute type stuff out of the way, I'd like to see another command performance featuring Urban Bushwomen, Savion Glover, and the Trocks.

For the ballet-only portion of the program, NYCB dancing Stars and Stripes is an obvious choice. Maybe ABT could perform Rodeo? I'd also want to put Joffrey and Washington Ballets in there--Joffrey for the Illinois connection and WB because it's the capital's ballet company.

Maybe ABT could perform Rodeo? I'd also want to put Joffrey and Washington Ballets in there--Joffrey for the Illinois connection and WB because it's the capital's ballet company.

The first time I went to the ballet in New York was the Joffrey in 1969, and they did 'Rodeo'. Would you have been in that, Mel? I remember I had gone because I loved the piece from years before. Don't remember what else was on the program, but wonder if the Joffrey still has it in active repertoire. If so, then maybe they could do 'Rodeo'.

Some fine ideas, so far! We are starting to think bigger than recitals in the East Room, it appears. Does the White House have a usable theater? Or would you prefer a command performance at the Kennedy Center? :wub:

I'd love the Trocks, Kathleen. Can the big tent stretch that far? It would be lovely if it could. Perhaps Rick Warren could be persuaded to do the invocation.

Mel, thanks for mentioning that Billy the Kid was performed in the White House in the JFK years. I didn't know (or remember) this.

I haven't picked a program yet, but I think it would be politick to distribute company representation around the country, as Hans suggests. (First rate companies, only.) New York, of course. But I'd include dancers from the major regional companies, both for fairness and to maximize the happiness of important Congresspersons and Senators:

Boston,

Washington

Chicago (Joffrey),

Pacific Northwest

Miami

Pennsylvania

Houston

Phoenix.

Any others?

A strong presence of dancers who've come from other countries (Cuba, Russia, etc.) to live and work as "Americans" would seem essential, though some I suppose would rather see American-trained dancers only.

How about a separate international evening including representatives from the major companies around the world, dancing work by American choreographers? The Bolshoi doing a bit of Tharp or the Chinese doing Balanchine should be revelatory.

To add to the list of companies, I think San Francisco Ballet ought to be included. With that many companies, I suppose the program would have to be a sort of gala format, with representatives from each one performing a short piece. At the Kennedy Center. :wub:

I second Kathleen O'C's list, and add Robbins.

If performed in the White House, choices of repertoire are somewhat limited by a small stage with no wings.

In that case, for a full length work, Graham's Appalachian Spring. It isn't too long, and there are no entrances or exits except at the beginning and end.

In that case, for a full length work, Graham's Appalachian Spring. It isn't too long, and there are no entrances or exits except at the beginning and end.

Oh yes, because we can be proud again of what the Pioneer Woman represents. The pride was there when Graham made it, and we can now celebrate some versions of specifically American modes, of which Appalachian Spring represents supernally. I maybe love 'Diversion of Angels' almost as much, but it isn't probably as appropriate, not particularly American, and the older ones like 'American Document' aren't well-known, I don't even know if they've done it in decades in the company. Maybe they have some brilliant girl to do 'Frontier', though, I bet they do, and it's very short.

I tend to admire rather than enjoy the Americana movement, especially the Billy the Kids, Rodeos, Filling Stations, or even Appalachian Spring (which I saw the Graham Company doing just last year). They certainly deserve to be maintained. But a new administration, representing the aspirations of a new sort of "American people" in a new century, may need smoething else.

I don't include Fancy Free in this; it remains amazingly alive. And I LOVE the idea of 9 Sinatra Songs, Company B, etc.

Great suggestions so far. Although I WOULD go heavier on the Balanchine. My own preference would not be to include Stars and Stripes, Western Symphony, or anything tugging at the American heartstrings.

How about a program based on American composers, combining Tarantella (to Gottschalk), the Who Cares? section of Who Cares? (to Gershwin), Slaughter on Tenth Avenue (to Rodgers), and -- for change of pace -- Agon Pas de 3 (to Stravinsky) and Unanswerd Question, from Ivesiana (to Ives)? I don't think Main Street is ready for anything from Seven Deadly Sins (to Weill). I won't even mention that fascinating little bit of Americana, PAMTGG (to .... whom????)

Question: is anything from Panamerica done nowadays? What a marvellous way to resestablish good relations with our neighbors south of the border.

The only think I can add to this thread, not being that familiar with the "Americana/ballet" phenomenon, is that while watching the concert-(especially at some point during the acrobats jumping on those metal devices)-was that I wish that some serious, all-American ballet would have been performed. It would have been HUGE having seen an official/national/Presidential embracing of the Art at such an important moment...just as they did with Aretha or Wonder.

Then, I immediately thought about the mega American flag displayed at the end of B's S&S. I could visualize the cheers, whistling and clapping...the same inner patriotism that moved Mr. B to create such an inspired piece and announce to the world what such a proud American citizen he considered himself.

THAT could have been precious...

But when you stop to think about it, would such a program have to be all-American? The US Marine Band ("The President's Own") does not restrict its playlist only to American composers. Isolationism is so over with! Yes, start with American dancers, but Ashton's Monotones II would go nicely in the East Room. The US is part of the world, and an international repertoire would certainly be appropriate. It's a cliché that "dance is the international language."

Incidentally, NYCB DID perform "Stars and Stripes" at the Inauguration of 1965 at one of the inaugural balls. New Vice-President Hubert Humphrey said, "Wonderful! And I don't usually cotton to that kind of dancing!" :dry:

The 1st and 2nd arias from Balanchine's Stravinsky Violin Concerto would be a nice fit. They're intimate Pas de Deux, you don't need a big stage or the entire company and they contrast each other nicely.

Balanchine's Tarantella would be a rousing and fun choice and the two Pas de Trois and the Pas de Deux from Agon would be a witty, infinitely cool choice.

I bristle at the thought of a program consisting entirely of blatant Americana, but conspicuously missing from this thread is Revelations, which is American and universal at once. It embodies some important themes enumerated in the new president's inaugural address: sacrifice, community, and hope.

Bouder as Stars' Liberty Bell is a must!

Also, Esplanade, which never fails to delight, even when the actual performance is less than polished.

Didn't Balanchine and Arthur Mitchell do a ballet to Jazz Band music? I think it included the Dance Theater of Harlem? That would be something!

And having the Ailey Co. in Revelations. Yes!

Wheeldon too. What would people suggest from his choreography and/or company?

Didn't Balanchine and Arthur Mitchell do a ballet to Jazz Band music? I think it included the Dance Theater of Harlem? That would be something!

Bart, at first I wondered if you were thinking of Ragtime, with its score by Stravinsky, for Mitchell and Farrell, or Clarinade, with a score by Morton Gould for Benny Goodman, which Farrell danced with Anthony Blum, both of which you probably saw.

But you must be thinking of "Concerto for Jazz Band and Orchestra." From Anna Kisselgoff in 2000:

In 1971, Mr. Mitchell and Balanchine choreographed ''Concerto for Jazz Band and Orchestra,'' named after its 1954 score by Rolf Liebermann. Dancers from both companies were integrated through half of the ballet. But Balanchine was criticized for stereotyping because the jazzier sections were given to the Harlem dancers.
A strong presence of dancers who've come from other countries (Cuba, Russia, etc.) to live and work as "Americans" would seem essential, though some I suppose would rather see American-trained dancers only.

bart...the one problem with that being the HUGE percent that would be out of a chance...(wouldn't dare to give a number, but I just took a look at MCB's list of Principals and... :wub: )

Cristian, you're right. I shouldn't have said "American trained." What I meant was, dancers who've had careers here in the US. Same was true in the old Ballet Theater days, when you think about it.

kfw, thanks for mentioning those ballets. It was Concerto for Jazz Band and Orchestra I was thinking of. It could bring an awful lot of fun to a White House program (if I remember it right) and could balance the more serious Revelations.

I bristle at the thought of a program consisting entirely of blatant Americana, but conspicuously missing from this thread is Revelations, which is American and universal at once. It embodies some important themes enumerated in the new president's inaugural address: sacrifice, community, and hope.

Bouder as Stars' Liberty Bell is a must!

Also, Esplanade, which never fails to delight, even when the actual performance is less than polished.

Yes to both Revelations and Esplanade, and yes the "Americana" theme definitely runs the risk of being lame or kitschy or both at once, if such a thing is possible.

There was a telecast of Revelations (with Jamison) many many moons ago and it's surely time for another. I think Esplanade may have made its way to the small screen as well; it's one of those works that may work much, much better in the theater than on TV simply because of the sheer thrill and physicality of the catches and of the dancers hitting the floor, but it does make everyone happy, as it should.