This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cheap seats

If only it were on Sundays at 10am, so those of who work conventional hours could go...

-amanda

Sure, it would be grand it these seats could be purchased on the weekend (since it's more convenient for many), however,

why put a negative spin on something (i.e. $25 seats) that is so incredibly generous? Jeez!

We should all be very grateful that that a donor (anonymous too, unlike the discussion about the Koch donation) was kind enough (and opened his or her wallet to do so) to fund these seats.

Even with the bleak economy, I'm guessing that many NYCB fans will find a way to be in line at 10am (even if they work convential hours).

Sorry if this seems harsh but I'm a "glass is half-full" kind of person -- I always look for the positive in people/things/situations etc.

I take Amanda's side on this. Without debating the ( anonymous! :off topic: ) donor's gift, this apparent effort to democratize the orchestra section goes only part of the way toward that goal. I don't know whose idea it was to open these tickets for sale on Monday -- the donor's or the company's. It works well for some self-employed people, retirees, and some college students but few working people. Those who can blithely announce that they're taking an hour off to buy tickets would tend to be those in upper management who, even in this stressed economy, would probably buy their better located tickets* at full price.

*Without being cynical, I am assuming that these seats will not be in the most coveted orchestra locations.

I take Amanda's side on this. Without debating the ( anonymous! :o ) donor's gift, this apparent effort to democratize the orchestra section goes only part of the way toward that goal. I don't know whose idea it was to open these tickets for sale on Monday -- the donor's or the company's. It works well for some self-employed people, retirees, and some college students but few working people. Those who can blithely announce that they're taking an hour off to buy tickets would tend to be those in upper management who, even in this stressed economy, would probably buy their better located tickets* at full price.

*Without being cynical, I am assuming that these seats will not be in the most coveted orchestra locations.

Yes, this is very cynical. They are $25 orchestra seats for goodness

sakes (whether or not they are "the best').

I simply don't get why we can't applaud this donor (I sure do) instead of criticize the way the tickets

are being distributed.

People line up all day for "Shakespeare in the Public" (The Public Theatre. We are major donors to this incredible company) -- albeit for "free" tickets -- and there are very few complaints.

Why look a gift horse in the mouth? The tickets are $25! If someone can't take time off from work (which I get) then that's the way it is. But some people can , and will find a way to do it.

Deborah, I think you read too much into what I was saying. I was just expressing personal sadness that I couldn't take advantage of this great offer.

-amanda

Sorry, Amanda! I'm sure you are right. Even though I love this site, I feel that there's way too much negativity on it (about the NYCB specifically).

I would volunteer (gladly) to get you a ticket (I have my own business so I make my hours). If you are interested, please email me

on my personal email address: DeborahPub@aol.com

Cheers,

Deborah Broide

Unless I'm mis-reading the info on the website, all you have to do to take advantage of the discount offer is pick up the phone and call CenterCharge. City Ballet's website states that you just mention the code ORCH25 to get the discounted seats. There is no need to actually go to the box office for this. Of course, if you order by phone you still have to pay the normal handling charges for phone orders. It's still a great deal even with the handling charge.

I love it! How wonderful!! What a great way to donate to a company, and help build audience as well!* I wish the NEA would do this all over the country...

(* I'm sure NYCB fills it's orchestra all the time, but the more people see good dance, the more they want to see more good dance, so it plays beyond the single ticket sale.)