This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Gonzalo Garcia to join NYCB as principal dancer

Very big, welcomed news!

Gonzalo Garcia to Join New York City Ballet as a Principal Dancer

New York City Ballet announced today that Gonzalo Garcia will join the Company as a Principal Dancer beginning with the 2007-2008 winter season.

A native of Zaragoza, Spain, Mr. Garcia received his ballet training at Estudio de Danza de amria Avila and at the San Francisco Ballet School. He joined San Francisco Ballet as a member of the corps de ballet in 1998, was promoted to soloist in 2000, and in 2002 was named a principal dancer. He left San Francisco Ballet following the 2007 spring season.

With San Francisco Ballet, Mr. Garcia danced an extensive repertory including numerous ballets by George Balanchine, Jerome Robbins, and Helgi Tomasson. He has also danced featured roles in works by Christopher Wheeldon, William Forsythe, and Alexei Ratmansky.

Mr. Garcia made his NYCB debut in May 2004 as a guest artist dancing Balanchine’s Ballo della Regina as part of the Balanchine Centennial celebration. He is also a 2000 recipient of the Princess Grace Award, and in 1995 he became the youngest dancer ever to receive a Gold Medal at the Prix de Lausanne.

New York City Ballet’s 2007-2008 season will begin with the Company’s annual Opening Night Benefit on Tuesday, November 20. For more information please call 212-870-5570 or visit www.nycballet.com.

Very big, welcomed news!

Welcome to New Yorkers, maybe.

--- Disgruntled in San Francisco

I hear you. But his leaving SFB was already known at the end of the 2007 spring season. And the movement recently has been all East to West, with Weese, Korbes and the Orzas going to Seattle. It's been a long time since NYCB has had such a big import, not since Hubbe and Zelensky came in the early 90s. Sylve turned out to be a big addition, but not much was known about her when she first guested.

Yay.

I had a feeling he'd be heading our way. I wonder if Martins will let him do Apollo; if so, will he do it the way he has been coached so far by d'Amboise? New York should see that.

I haven't seen him yet at all, but if Rasta Thomas' performance of Apollo with DTH at Symphony Space in Wall-to-Wall-Balanchine on March 20, 2004 was any indication of what J d'A's coaching can do..... I really hope we can see Garcia do it!