This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Vishneva's Swan Lake

Nora

I am traveling to NYC next week, and a friend and I have tickets to see Vishneva in Swan Lake. I try to get to NYC every spring to see ABT but missed last year due to ill health. Two years ago, my friend and I saw her in Giselle, and we were very impressed, especially by the use of her arms and hands which, for us at least, was a new dimension that she brought to the part. My friend is an Ananiashvili fan, but I insisted on seeing Vishneva in Swan Lake this year.

If I lived in NYC, I'd spend my entire nest egg going to the ballet, but now I have to pick and choose. My friend and I have been collecting Swan Lakes over the years. We both love Makarova the best with Ananiashvili a close second. This time, though, with Vishneva I'm hoping to see something different or extra as I saw with her Giselle. Has anyone seen her in this part? What should I look for? Will I be happy with my choice?

If I lived in NYC, I'd spend my entire nest egg going to the ballet, but now I have to pick and choose. My friend and I have been collecting Swan Lakes over the years. We both love Makarova the best with Ananiashvili a close second. This time, though, with Vishneva I'm hoping to see something different or extra as I saw with her Giselle. Has anyone seen her in this part? What should I look for? Will I be happy with my choice?

well thats hard to say.

i saw her last year and was horribly dissapointed. I dont remember anyone thinking her SL was a triumph but i'd suggest you look through the comments from last year.

I was in the minority (perhaps even a minority of one) who loved Vishneva's Odette. Her Odile was problematic but I chalked it up to the amount of adrenaline she had pumped into Act II & a consequent drop after.

She had clearly worked long and hard on Odette and she moved me.

It wouldn't surprise me if this year she gets it all together. (Remember she hasn't been doing this role very long.)

I would not call myself a true blue Vishneva fan. Sometimes I love her and sometimes I don't, but I never find her boring or rote. She is an intelligent, hard-working, gifted ballerina who often delights me, occasionally disappoints me and always fascinates me.

Don't pre-plan your response. Let her take you on her journey. It will be worth it.

... Her Odile was problematic but I chalked it up to the amount of adrenaline she had pumped into Act II & a consequent drop after.

...Don't pre-plan your response. Let her take you on her journey. It will be worth it.

There are at least two reasons for optimism:

Last year, prior to going on as Odile she gave J. M. Carreno a large RED kiss on his cheek for good luck, but timing was too late, as they had no time to completely clean it off before their entrance. Which broke them up, laughing, and they rather messed up the Black swan PdD. Obviously that won't happen again. Also, her partner is to be Marcelo Gomes. They showed an immense rapport last week in Manon: he gave her Hurculean support, as she was still weakened by bronchitis. He could well be the partner she needs in Swan Lake (he has been for every other ballerina he's danced with!).

... Her Odile was problematic but I chalked it up to the amount of adrenaline she had pumped into Act II & a consequent drop after.

...Don't pre-plan your response. Let her take you on her journey. It will be worth it.

There are at least two reasons for optimism:

Last year, prior to going on as Odile she gave J. M. Carreno a large RED kiss on his cheek for good luck, but timing was too late, as they had no time to completely clean it off before their entrance. Which broke them up, laughing, and they rather messed up the Black swan PdD. Obviously that won't happen again. Also, her partner is to be Marcelo Gomes. They showed an immense rapport last week in Manon: he gave her Hurculean support, as she was still weakened by bronchitis. He could well be the partner she needs in Swan Lake (he has been for every other ballerina he's danced with!).

Yes! Thank you, drb, for that reminder! I have loved everything that Gomes has done. Also, I have the DVD of Murphy's Swan Lake, and one of the best things on it is Gomes. When I saw that performance in person two years ago (?) he absolutely blew me away. He reminded me of the kind of manliness that Carreno alway exudes in his performances. Such clean lines and athletic grace. Well, I will just sit back and enjoy the ride. My friend tells me that we just need to keep on looking for the next astounding Swan. It's an obsession we have, but it's a very exciting one.

The lipstick story is an amusing one, drb, but I have serious doubts about something so minor throwing off Vishneva's performance. She is a professional and this sort of thing becomes history once she hits the stage.

Her Juliet costume became ripped at the waist last Monday and she had to dance the last two scenes with the back half of the skirt hanging dangerously close to the floor. She didn't miss a beat.

The lipstick story is an amusing one, drb, but I have serious doubts about something so minor throwing off Vishneva's performance. She is a professional and this sort of thing becomes history once she hits the stage.

Her Juliet costume became ripped at the waist last Monday and she had to dance the last two scenes with the back half of the skirt hanging dangerously close to the floor. She didn't miss a beat.

Yes, the lipstick story is cute, but I see this like Zerbinetta. Last year in Romeo, she had an accident of some kind in the wings. You could hear a crash and there were heavy smudges on her. But she went through the last three scenes like she was possesed.

I wonder if O/O is just an elusive part for her that she hasn't found the key to. I wish I could go on Tuesday but I can't

I'll be there too. I'm sure we'll be comparing notes on this board. I have never seen her before and won't prejudge. I'm just happy that I will be seeing one of the major talents of this time.

I'll be there too. I'm sure we'll be comparing notes on this board. I have never seen her before and won't prejudge. I'm just happy that I will be seeing one of the major talents of this time.

I guess that this is part of the "judgment" that I'm looking for. Because my attendance at the ballet has been so limited in the past few years, I'm not sure what I've bought a ticket for. I assume that any dancer that I see at ABT is superb, but is this one actually one of the "major talents of this time"? Obviously some people who have posted have been disappointed. I am certainly thrilled to be able to sit in the Metropolitan Opera House and see any performance by ABT, but while there is part of me that just wants to be transported by an ethereal swan, there's another part of me that can be very critical about technique and interpretation in comparing her to some incredible ballerinas I've seen over the past thirty years. I can't wait to read what other people say about this performance. Anyone else out there seeing Vishneva in Swan Lake? If so, why did you buy your ticket?

In her own inimitable manner, Ms. Vishneva addresses her impending Swan Lake performance on her website today:

Tana: I heard a lot about you and I`m going to see you on June 26,07 at the Mets in Swan Lake. I`m looking forward to a great performance

Diana: †Good luck.

In her own inimitable manner, Ms. Vishneva addresses her impending Swan Lake performance on her website today:
Tana: I heard a lot about you and I`m going to see you on June 26,07 at the Mets in Swan Lake. I`m looking forward to a great performance

Uh oh.

drb, Where did you find this? I can't locate it.