This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

For Bouder fans. . .

This morning's Times reports that Ashley Bouder will be the "Young Ballerina" in NYCO's Capriccio, with the first performance on September 7. Although, as I remember the role from the MET a few years ago, it's not a great dancing role, it is one for a dancer with great style and "attitude" (in all senses of the word). For me, it's just icing on the cake, as Capriccio is my first opera of "the season."

For those of you who are not into opera, I do recommend this one -- not just for a Bouder fix -- but because it's gorgeous Strauss music with a thought-provoking plot and -- what's expected to be very good singing.

I love Capriccio- it is such a rarely played gem!

The young dancer`s part is actually hardly a few minutes long but with a lovely music and adds a lot of "flair" and elegance to the opera.

I used to dance it at home in front of my record player :rolleyes: :unsure: - i unfortunately have never seen Capriccio on stage. (though I am a frequent opera goer but no opera house around here does and did play it... grrrr)

Have a lovely record from the 1970`s with Fischer Dieskau and Janowitz though I can live on quite well- though I`d die to be able to see it on stage!

Edited by shulie

9/7

Went to the opening performance; the opera is very beautiful but was spoilt by the inclusion of an intermission. The production was updated, fussy & the stage overly filled with chairs. Ashley was lovely, doing a mini-semi-comic pas de trois with 2 NYCO dancers. Later, she seized an angel cake that was laid out for the guests and sat down to replenish herself. She and basso Eric Halvarson, playing the theatre director La Roche, seemed to be having a grand time. Halvarson and soprano Pamela Armstrong were the vocal hits of the evening. It's a long evening, especially with the added intermission.

... the stage overly filled with chairs. Ashley was lovely, doing a mini-semi-comic pas de trois with 2 NYCO dancers. Later, she seized an angel cake that was laid out for the guests and sat down to replenish herself....

Thank you for the great report! Funny how, in contrast, Robbins (The Concert) was able to pull off the chair thing. And one hopes there was no frosting on that cake, lest "someone" orders her to diet...

Was there any indication as to whether Ms. Bouder is to perform in the rest of the run?

Ashley once stated in an interview that she is one of those dancers who can eat whatever she wants and not gain weight.

I'm pretty sure she will appear in the remaining performances of the opera; NYCB is on a break so she's free to take on an opera gig. Besides, she is dancing on her home stage!

9/7

Went to the opening performance; the opera is very beautiful but was spoilt by the inclusion of an intermission. The production was updated, fussy & the stage overly filled with chairs. Ashley was lovely, doing a mini-semi-comic pas de trois with 2 NYCO dancers. Later, she seized an angel cake that was laid out for the guests and sat down to replenish herself.

Oberon, that's a shame about the intermision. It does a lot of damage to a piece that needs a smooth flow. I saw it at Glyndbourne and it ruined the piece there but they ALWAYS have a dinner intermission so

I could at least understand why they inserted it.

But why did NYCO feel they had to have one?????????

Richard