This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

R.I.P. Gordon Boelzner

A paid notice in today's NY Times announces the death of the former pianist, conductor, and music director of NYCB, Gordon Boelzner. "His devotion to George Balanchine and to New York City Ballet was a source of inspiration to all who worked with him and his remarkable presence in our family will be greatly missed."

No one ever strode onto the stage in The Concert more imposingly or amusingly than Gordon Boelzner or dusted the piano keys more fastidiously. At a NYCB Guild seminar once he told of the difficulties of performing the long score of the Goldberg Variations from the piano at the corner of the stage apron where he couldn't see the dancers but could hear audience comments. Toward the end of the opening night performance, he distinctly heard a woman complain, "Oh, no, he's gonna play another one!" His performance of Davidsbundlertanze was stunning, and fortunately has been preserved on the 1981 video which also features the original cast (except for Sara Leland in place of Kay Mazzo).

This is sad news indeed. I was there when he first began at NYCB, a thin young man with a boyish face, who walked onto the stage to his piano with such charm in his (then, as a newbie) quiet manner. I so enjoyed it when he was part of the program!

I've only seen him on video since, but his unique nature was evident, even on tape. He was a dynamic pianist. I wish I had seen him conduct.

God be with his soul!

It's sad... but it's also a time to remember that this brilliantly talented man created so much great music, many fine performances, for Balanchine and the company. I knew Gordon while I was at NYCB. He was a good friend to many of us there. He was the pianist you wanted for your rehearsals and classes, as Gordon often worked as hard and with as much joy as we did - knowing this was a very special world, Balanchine's world, with the best talents of our time. He was as dedicated to us as he was devoted to his own pianist or conducting work/preparation and performances. Not only sharp and smart, and highly gifted, Gordon was a nice person, funny as heck, and he was truly fascinated wth Mr. B and his dancers on a daily basis. Gordon was part of the family, not just a pianist/conductor for the orchestra. We all have lots of fond memories.

The NYCB had this to post on its website:

GORDON BOELZNER

New York City Ballet mourns the passing on August 17, 2005 of Gordon Boelzner, a pillar of the Company for over 45 years. Gordon joined NYCB as a rehearsal pianist and later became a conductor and an acclaimed solo pianist, performing at the premieres of such works as George Balanchine’s Ballade and Robert Schumann’s “Davidsbundlertanze,” and Jerome Robbins’ Dances at a Gathering and The Goldberg Variations. He was named Music Director in 1990 and held that position until he retired in 1999, then assuming the title of Music Advisor, which he retained until the time of his death. Gordon was admired for his exceptional intelligence and sensitivity, his wit and immense charm, as well as for his great wealth of musical knowledge and his consummate professionalism. His devotion to George Balanchine and to New York City Ballet was a source of inspiration to all who worked with him, and his remarkable presence in our family will be greatly missed.