This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

FETE DU BALLET

some readers here have expressed interest in FETE DU BALLET a CD set on the market. i think this is at least the second or third time i've seen this item on ebay. it almost always had 'fete du ballet' in the subj. line so doing an ebay search for 'fete du ballet' should get one to the current auctions.

i saw one just yesterday, for the first of 6 days or so. & the starting bid was $9.99, rather good considering the higher list price.

fyi.

I bought "Fete du Ballet" from the same seller on Ebay a few months ago. This particular release from Taiwan does not come with the inlay booklet. It keeps one from learning the action to a certain passage. Also, when I got the set, the 1st CD was scrathed badly. The scrathes just happened to be right in the middle of the magnificent recording of "Les Sylphides" (I have this same recording on an old record).

This set is a great to have for all ballet dancers and lovers of ballet music. It has many of the out-of-print recordings of Bonynge. Such as "Pas de Deux", "The Art of the Prima Ballerina", "Homage a la Pavlova", "Ballet in Opera" and "Invitation to the Dance". All of these recordings were originally available seperatly on record in the 60's and 70's. A few years later, the recordings were put on CD, again in thier seperate forms. Now we have this set of all of them in one, the 10 CD set - "Fete du Ballet"! This compilation contains many rare pieces of ballet music. Some of these obscure numbers are the only recordings in existence. I would have rather had more music of Minkus, Pugni, or Drigo myself rather than ballet sections from operas.

The best highlight of this great set is, to me, the recordings of Drigo's "The Magic Flute" and "The Awakening of Flora". These two rare works are some really great ballet music, and show just how under-rated a composer Drigo really was.