This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What're you looking forward to or wish for in 05?

What's your anticipation for 2005? Ballets, dancers, development you'd like to or looking forward to see. Off top of my head, here's my list in no particular order:

1. PNB under Peter Boal's directorship. I'd like Boal to introduce more Balanchine into PNB repertory. And I expect to see him dance a few roles with PNB. I consider this my most anticipated developement for 2005. What direction he's going to take with PNB? If Boal does a great job with PNB, he'll be a front runner for NYCB directorship when Martin retires. Leftcoasters, treasure him while you can.

1. Diana Vishneva in Ballet Imperial, Don Q, Giselle & Swan Lake with ABT.

2. An all-stars Le Corsaire with Ananiashvili, Bocca, Corella, Murphy, Carreno & Cornejo.

3. ABT's revivial of Ashton's Sylvia.

4. Bolshoi's Met season, especially Zahkarova in Pharaoh's Daughter but not their R&J.

5. What's going to happen to NYCB male ranks after Soto retired and Boal left for PNB.

6. More Sylve and Bouder debuts. I can't have enough of Nichols, Whelan, Korowski, Weese, Ringer... And of course Boal & Soto.

7. No more injuries!!

1. PNB under Peter Boal's directorship. I'd like Boal to introduce more Balanchine into PNB repertory. And I expect to see him dance a few roles with PNB. I consider this my most anticipated developement for 2005. What direction he's going to take with PNB? If Boal does a great job with PNB, he'll be a front runner for NYCB directorship when Martin retires. Leftcoasters, treasure him while you can.

These are some fascinating choices. PNB already has a significant amount of Balanchine in its rep -- I don't know that he will need to add more, but perhaps keep working on what they've already got. Honestly, I'll be very surpised if he performs here, and I'm not sure how that would be percieved by the community. I know that he's a stunning dancer, but that's not really why he's being hired.

I'm looking forward to the revival of Balanchine's "Don Quixote" by the Suzanne Farrell Ballet in conjunction with the National Ballet of Canada, at the Kennedy Center Opera House, from June 22 through 16. Thanks for the question!

I didn't know about this. Totally excited! I'll have to plan a bus trip with some of my friends to see this. Unless there's any chance they will take it to NYC.

I'd kill to see "Tzigane" live too...

I'm hoping I will be able to visit my relatives in D.C. in June so I can see the revival of Don Q. Does anyone know when tickets go on sale?

I'm looking forward to Maina Gielgud's production of Giselle.

I'm looking forward to seeing as many ballets as time will allow when I'm in college at NYU next fall! Lincoln Center, here I come!

Just a little amendment to Scoop's post -- tickets for the Suzanne Farrell Ballet are on sale at the moment only as part of a subscription that includes other companies. Single ticket sales for those who are not Kennedy Center members begins April 11.

Sorry for any confusion I might have created: I was able to buy a single ticket -- actually for a class Suzanne is giving that I tried to go to last year, but it sold out --so I assumed all the tickets were available. I agree, Dirac, these may go fast, so everyone mark April 11 on their calendars, palm pilots, etc!