This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Did Balanchine anoint Peter Martins?

As part of "Saratoga Remembers Balanchine" at the National Museum of Dance, there is a very interesting video in which Leslie Stahl interviews, among many others (including Suzanne Farrell), Peter Martins. Martins tells of being awakened by a phone call from Balanchine one long-ago morning in Saratoga Springs and asked to meet him for breakfast. He recalls the place as probably a coffee shop on the site of what is now Sperry's Restaurant. During the course of their breakfast, Balanchine instructed Martins on all the many responsibilities involved in running a ballet company -- from marketing to programming to getting rid of over-the-hill dancers. At the end, Balanchine said something like, "Okay?" and asked for the check. I had never heard this story, which seems to have, as its point, the legitimization of the Martins succession to head NYCB. I'm not questioning it, just wondering if anyone has heard this or something similar.

Martins told a shorter version of this in the interview on "Dinner with Balanchine" (the 10th anniversary of Balanchine's death). I don't remember ever hearing it before. Robbins and Martins were appointed co-ballet-masters-in-chief, and both were "in charge" until Robbins resigned in the early 1990s.

Close to 25 years down the line it doesn't seem too relevant to what degree Martins' succession was willed by Mr B.

The thing is whether it works or not. Balanchine could've been mistaken, he was old & ill, and maybe he covered for mistakes by not 'anointing' anyone.

However, ssn't it getting time, after 25 years, for one or two successors to Martins to be apparent?

It is interesting that the "annointing question" seems perennial. I think Herman has a point: 25 years is a long time to ask the question.

As for the succession, there are always rumors, but I don't think the question has been raised seriously. Martins is about 60, and unless there's an obvious successor to challenge him, or the board loses confidence in him, I think he'll be there for awhile.

If I'm not mistaken, Martins has elsewhere spoken of how, during the final illness, he visited Balanchine in the hospital and tried to get him to say outright that he wanted him to take over as ballet master. Balanchine just wouldn't do it. It was all implied. Which seems like another example of Balanchine's endless wisdom. Martins had to want the job enough to just take it, without Balanchine's approval. And if it didn't work out, nobody could say that Martins was the great man's own holy appointment.

suggest that you consider this --

sometimes, people are simply in the right place at the right time

for the better or the worse for the rest of us

at a sypmposium at lincoln center recently, martins made some negative remarks about mr b's treatment of the men in his company class and also about casting -- to the point where i was quite uncomfortable -- after all, were we not there to honor the man?

cold, distant and ungenerous

where would martins and clan be today had mr b not been with us?

perhaps i am too sensitive

I'm as big an admirer of Balanchine as anyone, charlieloki, but there were aspects of his stewardship of the company that I was quite critical of, too. He was a great man but he wasn't perfect. We can honor him and be aware of his shortcomings at the same time.

What you say about being in the right place at the right time is so true.

Whatever one thinks of Peter from an artistic point of view, it seems to me that he has kept the Company in pretty good shape financially. If the Board were to consider replacing Peter, they might think twice in view of his apparent fund-raising success. His rapport with Mrs. Diamond paid off handsomely, giving opportunities to many choreographers thru the various Diamond Project seasons. NYCB has always been a creative company, as opposed to a "museum". Whether or not you liked the ballets that were given, it remains that no other major company seems to have the means or the interest in presenting so many new pieces.

While ABT seems to be cancelling some tour dates due to financial concerns, NYCB is soon off to Japan and Orange County. Audiences seem to me to be maintaining pretty well..some nights draw a bigger crowd than others, but that has always been true. There are always goodly numbers of young people in the audience.

It seems pointless now to guess whether Peter was Mr. B's choice or whether he was simply in the right place at the right time. However it came about, he has brought the Company thru two decades since Mr. B's death. We can't really know if any of the other possible candidates to replace Mr. B would have been able to keep it going, artistically or financially. Mr. B sometimes intimated that he thought the Company and his ballets might not survive his death. I think this was said tongue-in-cheek. I'm sure he knew that his ballets were masterpieces, that people would always want to see them, and also that they would look different after he was gone.

Someone mentioned Nilas as a possible successor to Peter; I really don't think Nilas would be interested.

Martins tells of being awakened by a phone call from Balanchine one long-ago morning in Saratoga Springs and asked to meet him for breakfast. He recalls the place as probably a coffee shop on the site of what is now Sperry's Restaurant. During the course of their breakfast, Balanchine instructed Martins on all the many responsibilities involved in running a ballet company -- from marketing to programming to getting rid of over-the-hill dancers. At the end, Balanchine said something like, "Okay?" and asked for the check. I had never heard this story, which seems to have, as its point, the legitimization of the Martins succession to head NYCB. I'm not questioning it, just wondering if anyone has heard this or something similar.

I have that interview segment on video but not from the program you mentioned.

It has Peter's response, just like you stated. I taped it from PBS Great Performances. I looked for the tape but I can't find it. I think the program was called 'Balanchine Celebration.' (?) It was a huge gala that had G. Thesmar as Terpischore in "Apollo," and his wife Darci leading "Theme & Variations."