This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

virtuosity vs pyrotechnics

I was prompted to post this after I heard a comment by Kevin McKenzie in the "ABT - Variety & Virtuosity" tape. At one point he says "there are some performances which I would not call "pyrotechnical" but which are truly virtouso ones" (I am quoting from memory, so the wording is like to be inexact)

I must confess that I had always considered both concepts to carry the same meaning.

Is someone able to clarify this issue for me, please?

Thanks so much

Silvy

"Pyrotechnics" means a fireworks display, or, in the context of the performing arts, a display of virtuosity. To me, though, "virtuoso" has the connotation of refined dancing at a very high technical level, not necessarily a fireworks display. A virtuoso performance might not be fully appreciated by nondancers; a pyrotechnical one reaches out and bashes you over the head.

Other definitions and interpretations?

When he was young, Johannes Brahms was stunned at a Franz Liszt concert to watch the pianist thunder away, then during a particularly vehement passage the candleabrum started to vibrate across the piano. In one rest, Liszt reached over, recentered the light, and continued. Brahms was so fascinated with this demonstration of control, that he went to see the pianist at his next city on the tour - he did exactly the same thing, and Brahms was crestfallen - it was just a trick. Initially, he had thought it virtuosity, then he found out it was just pyrotechnics.

Mr Mel, thanks for the story about that fellow countryman of mine!!! :D

I promise I shall find out more about him.

For the time being, please note that we have 2 major orchestras in Uruguay: one is the SODRE Symphony Orchestra (called "OSSODRE", which is government owned), and the other is the Philarmonic of Montevideo (which belongs to the Municipality of the city of Montevideo), but no "Symphonica Mayor". Maybe the person who wrote the article meant the OSSODRE :wink:

I suspect that one is Urban Legend. as in a saxophone there would be so much copper or nickel/silver salt as to render the goo inside extremely inhospitable to most forms of life. Now, furniture beetles or powder post beetles attacking the reed alone, that might just happen.

But back to topic. I recall Dame Margot Fonteyn's final performance of Ashton's "Salut d'Amour". It was a very odd thing. The ballerina, in ballgown and evening mules, danced bits of her famous roles in a reverent tribute to a great career, and at the end, Sir Frederick Ashton took her arm, they did one "Fred Step", borrowed from Pavlova's "Gavotte", and exited together. It was the most virtuoso performance I ever saw, but absolutely devoid of any fireworks.

I have seen a gala by the cuban national ballet., all the dancers trying to do the ultimate trick, trying to do the most incredible pirouettes,jumps,etc. this I would call pyrotechnics, almost a blend of ballet and circus and very exciting to watch, the audience goes mad watching this

virtuosity could be merrill ashley in Ballo della regina

jose manuel

This press release came across my screen, and made me think about issues of virtuosity:

New York Spirit Dance Co. Hosts First Annual New York International

Pirouette Competition

For Immediate Release

MT. VERNON, N.Y./EWORLDWIRE/July 2, 2004 --- Over the next 10 months,

dancers worldwide will participate in the New York International

Pirouette Competition; the final awards ceremony will take place at a

prestigious event location in New York City. Industry leaders like Dance

Spirit Magazine and Alva's Theatrical Supply have stepped up to the

plate to sponsor the world's first International Pirouette Competition,

which begins June 30, 2004 and finalizes on April 14, 2005.

"The competition will allow young dancers from ages four to 21 a chance

to demonstrate their turning abilities 'their way,'" said Jennifer

Stubbs, President and Executive Director of New York Spirit Dance Co.

"The competition was designed as an event fundraiser to assist in our

ongoing effort to provide quality and affordable dance and movement

classes to the serious dancers and the general public, just for the love

of it."

The New York International Pirouette Competition requires that

applicants mail in a videotaped performance that will be judged by a

team of industry professionals who will award points for overall dance

style, stage presence, quality and quantity of pirouettes in their

selected categories. Cash and prizes to winners and runners up total

more than $30,000.00. Entry forms are available at www.nyipirouette.org.

It sounds incredible to me - I spend countless hours in the studio working on the quality of my dancing, only to find that there are people who judge dancing on quantity.....

At least they will judge participants on their "stage presence","presentation", and "costume", though

To me, pyrotechnics can be exciting and at the same time have a rough-edged quality to it. :wink: Virtuosity is exciting, but is done with a fine-honed flow and finish. :blushing: For example: fouettes...... If you do a series of 5 turns consistantly, lets say 4or5 times, but travel all over the stage,and then finish in a not so elegant position.....that could be excitingly pyrotechnic. But, if you do the same series of turns, stay in one "general" spot and finish in a perfect 5th on pointe-souree??????- with wonderful arm positioning.....that is virtuosity. My take anyway!!! :D