Helene

Current Dancer News

86 posts in this topic

It does look close.

I've just gotten tickets to go see Coppelia however have just realized it is the Balanchine version! Has anyone seen it? I'm excited at the idea and can't believe I've gone on all this time not realizing he did his own version. The last time I saw Coppelia was in London around 2004. It was lovely.

Welcome to Ballet Alert!, JumpFrog :flowers:

Balanchine asked Alexandra Danilova, a renowned Swanhilde, to help him stage the three-act version. The first two acts are based on what they remembered from the Russian Imperial Ballet and, for Danilova, the Ballets Russes. Balanchine created a first act solo for Franz, originally danced by Helgi Tomasson, to music from Delibes' "Sylvia," a gorgeous score, and ensemble dances. Acts I and II are "after Petipa." The third act is Balanchine's original choreography for the Wedding, with a female soloist with a corps of 24 students, three female solos, War and Discord for eight couples and a lead couple, and a grand pas de deux for Swanhilde and Frantz.

It's a lovely work, with beautiful sets and costumes by Roberta Guidi di Bagno. The stagers are Judith Fugate, a great NYCB Swanhilde, and Garielle Whittle, a long-time ballet mistress for children at NYCB.

Welcome to Ballet Alert!, JumpFrog :flowers:

Balanchine asked Alexandra Danilova, a renowned Swanhilde, to help him stage the three-act version. The first two acts are based on what they remembered from the Russian Imperial Ballet and, for Danilova, the Ballets Russes. Balanchine created a first act solo for Franz, originally danced by Helgi Tomasson, to music from Delibes' "Sylvia," a gorgeous score, and ensemble dances. Acts I and II are "after Petipa." The third act is Balanchine's original choreography for the Wedding, with a female soloist with a corps of 24 students, three female solos, War and Discord for eight couples and a lead couple, and a grand pas de deux for Swanhilde and Frantz.

It's a lovely work, with beautiful sets and costumes by Roberta Guidi di Bagno. The stagers are Judith Fugate, a great NYCB Swanhilde, and Garielle Whittle, a long-time ballet mistress for children at NYCB.

Thank you very much Helene! :tiphat:

I apologize for my tardy response. I am still getting used to "being online" here lol. I appreciate your thoughtful response. I am even more excited now. I have recently moved north of the border and have been missing my PNB performances alot. Thankfully I have this upcoming trip to look forward to and it coinciding with this production is icing on the cake. :clapping:

Oh yay, congrats to the growing family!

Congratulations to her...he's a total cutie!!!

Fact: Due to the combined absence of Imler and Ashley Bouder, American ballet as a whole has moved with 12 minutes 32 seconds less velocity per show for the past 9 months. (I personally suspect that they coordinated their absences just to ensure there wasn't some sort of lop-sided continental shift.)

:)

Hadn't thought about the coordination, but wouldn't be surprised at the outcome.