33 replies to this topic

#16 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 07:54 AM

But I myself make silly "principle / principal"-type mistakes all the time because I've become too reliant on automatic completion and spell check. Oh, and because computer keyboards allow you to type faster than you can think. It took a bit longer to pound things out on a typewriter.

I confused them all the time, even before I started using computers. I always have to have a dictionary and grammar or style guide available.

#17 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 08:49 AM

Copy editors can have their own weird biases and gaps in knowledge, but that's another thread.....

Okay. If I can spin that thread for a moment, Calcium Light Night, the title of the last Ives piece in the suite Martins assembled for his first ballet, and the name he gave to it, was - and may still be - an annual overnight custom at Yale, involving the use of metallic calcium, which burns, in portable lamps - calcium lights - and in which custom the composer participated while a student there; whence his musical representation of it. It's not obvious whether the gap in knowledge here is Gottlieb's or his editor's.

With all of this, maybe we don't even need mention an ordinary typo, but in Arlene Croce's review of the premiere of Calcium in the February 20, 1978 New Yorker, reprinted in Going to the Dance, describing the action on stage, she says, "bodies are clamped together, then slid apart."

With all its technical faults, this review is a bit of a mess, but no less worth reading, not least for the use of "pissed off" in the second part. There, Gottlieb wonders about hard-working Hubbard Street's success, but it strikes me that it's not for nothing it's based in, and named for a street in, the "City of the Big Shoulders," as Carl Sandburg fairly characterized Chicago.

#18 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,237 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 09:22 AM

Speaking of bad editing, Calcium Light Night always comes to my mind as "Calcium Night Light"!

#19 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 10:18 AM

Tsk! It used to be spoken of that way, back in the day. But Ives had a lot more in mind than a little something on your bedside table to keep you from being afraid in the dark! Quite a tumultuous evening, in fact, though none of this is represented as such in Martins's (how's my punctuation, folks?) ballet. Nor need it be, as far as I'm concerned; the near-violence late in the ballet Gottlieb refers to seems to come out of the music, even if something else went in. Martins's tumult is of a different kind. (I wasn't crazy about his ballet when I first saw it, but I thought it was a very fine and strong piece of work, partly because of being all of a piece.)

#20 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 24 May 2013 - 02:54 PM

Tsk! It used to be spoken of that way, back in the day.

Well, Balanchine liked it enough to stick it in to his own ballet. That would certainly be good enough for me.....

With all of this, maybe we don't even need mention an ordinary typo, but in Arlene Croce's review of the premiere of Calcium in the February 20, 1978 New Yorker, reprinted in Going to the Dance, describing the action on stage, she says, "bodies are clamped together, then slid apart."

Hmmm. I read it as the same tense - bodies are clamped and then are slid.

#21 LiLing

LiLing

• PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:16 AM

[size="3"]Yes, I thought the choreographer slid them apart. They did not slide of their own volition. A subtle comment on Martins' use of dancers? Posted Image [/size]

#22 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 08:29 AM

The complexities of "bring" v. "take" continue to elude me. I guess we all have our weak (weak-week: another homonym) points.

#23 Jack Reed

Jack Reed

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,500 posts

Posted 26 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

[size=3]Yes, I thought the choreographer slid them apart. They did not slide of their own volition. A subtle comment on Martins' use of dancers? Posted Image [/size]

I only intended a comment on Gottlieb's quoting - via his copy-editor's sloppy work? - "part" instead of "apart" and now I'm wondering how I got into this...

But yes, I do think Croce's characterization of what we saw is, as usual, spot on, even down to the concluding remark, which, still having my book open, I'd like to share for its droll flavor (Keep in mind that Watts in those days had about the most extreme tubular opposite of the stereotypical feminine hourglass figure of anyone in that lean company.):

Daniel Duell and Heather Watts are excellent. The stage is undressed except for a square tube of light hung overhead. [size=4]The uncostumes are perhaps too severe. Watts, in her crimson unitard sheared off at calf and bustline, looks like a thermometer.

[/size]

#24 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:12 AM

[size=5][font=georgia,serif]I have done some editing for a luxury goods website and recently came across a dealer in antiques who managed to spell the word triptych three different ways, none of them correct. Spelling mistakes really irk me - in this case, it's their business! And then we get into the pet peeve department; one of mine happens to be pled/pleaded in news reports....[/font][/size]

#25 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:51 AM

[size=5][font=georgia,serif] And then we get into the pet peeve department; one of mine happens to be pled/pleaded in news reports....[/font][/size]

Just out ofcuriosity and wandering even further off topic, what about pled/pleaded bothers you? Using both forms in the same article? Using one form instead of the other? (In which case, which form don't you like?)

#26 kbarber

kbarber

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 06:54 AM

to add to the list of unintentionally comic misspellings, the National Ballet of Canada posted a photo to their facebook page of a ballerina sowing [sic] her pointe shoes...

#27 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,799 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 11:07 AM

Yes, I thought the choreographer slid them apart. They did not slide of their own volition. A subtle comment on Martins' use of dancers? Posted Image

I only intended a comment on Gottlieb's quoting - via his copy-editor's sloppy work? - "part" instead of "apart" and now I'm wondering how I got into this...

Ah. I misinterpreted the italicization of "apart" in your original post. I thought that the use of the italic was meant to draw attention to the "a" in "apart" in the original quote, not as an indication that the "a" had been omitted in the quote as printed in Gottlieb's piece.

#28 Quiggin

Quiggin

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 12:32 PM

kbarber:

the National Ballet of Canada posted a photo to their facebook page of a ballerina sowing [sic] her pointe shoes...

Dancer do sow steps.

I always hesitate at peek and peak. At some point these things are like grammatical odette/odile choices.

Here's a dubious apostrophe in San Francisco. Maybe the o' threw the sign painter off.

(At Tumblr but in the safe section) http://canariesinthe...age/51495304101

#29 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 01:28 PM

[size=5][font=georgia,serif] And then we get into the pet peeve department; one of mine happens to be pled/pleaded in news reports....[/font][/size]

Just out ofcuriosity and wandering even further off topic, what about pled/pleaded bothers you? Using both forms in the same article? Using one form instead of the other? (In which case, which form don't you like?)

Unless I need to adhere to a style guide that says otherwise, I'm a "pled" girl myself. :)

#30 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,331 posts

Posted 27 May 2013 - 02:16 PM

I always hesitate at peek and peak.

"Peek" and "see" both have a double "e" -- maybe that will help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):