ABT's Spring Season at Kennedy Center-DCDQ and mixed bill incl. The Dream!

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

The Kennedy Center has revealed that Ashton's The Dream will be among the offerings on the April 15/16 mixed bill, during its annual spring season. No word yet on the other ballets on the mixed bill.

http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BOBSE

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

The remaining ballets in the mixed bill program (besides Ashton's The Dream) have been announced:

Mixed Repertory
(4/15 & 4/16)
Les Sylphides (Fokine/Chopin--orchestration by Britten)
Aftereffect (Gomes/Tchaikovsky--Souvenir de Florence, 1st Movement)
The Dream (Ashton/Mendelssohn)

Interestingly, the mixed bill had originally been promoted to be a 'tribute to Shakespeare'; that designation has been removed. Could it be the Ratmansky's The Tempest was in the original plans, pending the outcome of its premiere in NYC a month ago but did not pass muster to go on tour? It's suddenly not a Shakespeare Evening. Hmmmm...

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Casting now up for the April 2014 Kennedy Center engagement:

http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BOBSE

Kent, then Reyes, for the two THE DREAMS.  Hee Seo will lead both performances of LES SYLPHIDES...hmmmmm.....

DON Qs may be a bit underwhelming, although I'm sure that Boylston/Simkin will set-off the fireworks at the Sat matinee. Ditto Vasiliev (with Herrera) on the Sunday afternoon.

#4 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I saw Simkin in Don Q during the Met season in 2011 and he was wonderful - both in his dancing and his acting.  HIs Kitri was Kajiya (did I spell her name right) and I thought she was miscast in the part.  She's more of a lyrical, romantic dancer.  I think Boylston will be a very good Kitri.  As a matter of fact I'm almost positive my subscription ticket for Don Q during this Met season is for Boylston/Simkin.  I always thought Kitri was Herrera's best role, but I haven't seen her dance it since 2004.  I really enjoyed Vasiliev in Don Q (with Osipova, no longer with ABT, which I am very disappointed about) last year.  If Herrera can still dance Kitri like she did back in 2004, she and Vasiliev should put on quite a show!  We're talking about Don Q, not Swan Lake or Giselle or Sleeping Beaiuty.

I just looked at the ABT performance calendar and I see that Reyes/Cornejo are also dancing Don Q.  I saw them dance this ballet twice and both were excellent.  I also saw both Reyes in The Dream and she was very good.  I have never seen Cornejo dance Puck live but from watching The Dream on dvd he's probably the best Puck dancing the part today.  That being said, I saw Simkin dance Puck in 2011 and he was fantastic.  It was like he lived in the air.  I think Puck is one of Simkin's best roles.  His Oberon was Cory Stearns and Simkin/Stearns had fantastic chemistry in 'The Dream'. I hope Simkin and Whiteside are as good togetherer.  By the way, I found Oberon to be one of Stearns' best roles.  And I have been impressed by the performances I've seen Whiteside give at ABT.  And yes, I was right.  I will be seeing Boylston/Simkin in Don Q this spring.

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,361 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, Colleen. It seems like Boylston/Simkin will be the DON Q of choice (at least, MY choice...ha-ha) this spring in DC.

#6 koshka

koshka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Got my ticket for the Sat matinee yesterday--hope the casting doesn't change!

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,716 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

The Kennedy Center is waiving handling fees on remaining ABT tickets. Mention code 176523 if ordering by phone.

#8 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 360 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

The Kennedy Center is waiving handling fees on remaining ABT tickets. Mention code 176523 if ordering by phone.

There are also some $39 orchestra seats for 4/15, 4/16, and 4/18. Tickets have to be purchased by 4/12. Discount code is 176509. You can't use both offers on the same ticket purchase.

#9 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Just looked at the ABT casting page.  Stearns is replaced in Sylphide and Don Q.  Anyone know what happened?  Ah well, more work for Gorak and Gomes.

#10 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

• PipPipPip
  • 182 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Sorry to see Stearns is out, but happy to see Gorak gets another Les Sylphides.

Speaking of Gomes, I think he lives about a block from my office and I've seen him on my way to work a few times.  This morning I noticed his strong, dancerly walk before I realized it was him.  I must have smiled like a school girl when I passed him.  Even on the street he is a sight to behold.  Not a bad way to start the day. :)

#11 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Gomes got the Don Q, but I like him more as Espada than Basilio.  .

#12 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,398 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Stearns was out of YAGP, apparently he's injured.

#13 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,264 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Did anyone go to ABT last night? Reports?

#14 angelica

angelica

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Did anyone go to ABT last night? Reports?

abatt, there's a wonderful review of last night's ABT performance on the Haglund's Heel blog. Vivid description, pros and cons, it's a don't miss review.

#15 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,155 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

I saw yesterday's dress rehearsal, and it doesn't seem fair to review it, but I was pleased and surprised to see Sarah Lane as one of the fairies in The Dream. I don't know the company well enough to have recognized anyone else except the principals :Reyes, Whiteside, and Simkin. Are soloists usually cast as fairies in this ballet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):