This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

ABT's Spring Season at Kennedy Center-DCDQ and mixed bill incl. The Dream!

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#1 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 04:31 AM

The Kennedy Center has revealed that Ashton's The Dream will be among the offerings on the April 15/16 mixed bill, during its annual spring season. No word yet on the other ballets on the mixed bill.

http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BOBSE

#2 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 30 November 2013 - 01:56 PM

The remaining ballets in the mixed bill program (besides Ashton's The Dream) have been announced:

Mixed Repertory
(4/15 & 4/16)
Les Sylphides (Fokine/Chopin--orchestration by Britten)
Aftereffect (Gomes/Tchaikovsky--Souvenir de Florence, 1st Movement)
The Dream (Ashton/Mendelssohn)

Interestingly, the mixed bill had originally been promoted to be a 'tribute to Shakespeare'; that designation has been removed. Could it be the Ratmansky's The Tempest was in the original plans, pending the outcome of its premiere in NYC a month ago but did not pass muster to go on tour? It's suddenly not a Shakespeare Evening. Hmmmm...

#3 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 29 January 2014 - 09:21 AM

Casting now up for the April 2014 Kennedy Center engagement:

http://www.kennedy-c...ts/?event=BOBSE

Kent, then Reyes, for the two THE DREAMS.  Hee Seo will lead both performances of LES SYLPHIDES...hmmmmm.....

DON Qs may be a bit underwhelming, although I'm sure that Boylston/Simkin will set-off the fireworks at the Sat matinee. Ditto Vasiliev (with Herrera) on the Sunday afternoon.

#4 Colleen Boresta

Colleen Boresta

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 354 posts

Posted 31 January 2014 - 02:51 PM

I saw Simkin in Don Q during the Met season in 2011 and he was wonderful - both in his dancing and his acting.  HIs Kitri was Kajiya (did I spell her name right) and I thought she was miscast in the part.  She's more of a lyrical, romantic dancer.  I think Boylston will be a very good Kitri.  As a matter of fact I'm almost positive my subscription ticket for Don Q during this Met season is for Boylston/Simkin.  I always thought Kitri was Herrera's best role, but I haven't seen her dance it since 2004.  I really enjoyed Vasiliev in Don Q (with Osipova, no longer with ABT, which I am very disappointed about) last year.  If Herrera can still dance Kitri like she did back in 2004, she and Vasiliev should put on quite a show!  We're talking about Don Q, not Swan Lake or Giselle or Sleeping Beaiuty.

I just looked at the ABT performance calendar and I see that Reyes/Cornejo are also dancing Don Q.  I saw them dance this ballet twice and both were excellent.  I also saw both Reyes in The Dream and she was very good.  I have never seen Cornejo dance Puck live but from watching The Dream on dvd he's probably the best Puck dancing the part today.  That being said, I saw Simkin dance Puck in 2011 and he was fantastic.  It was like he lived in the air.  I think Puck is one of Simkin's best roles.  His Oberon was Cory Stearns and Simkin/Stearns had fantastic chemistry in 'The Dream'. I hope Simkin and Whiteside are as good togetherer.  By the way, I found Oberon to be one of Stearns' best roles.  And I have been impressed by the performances I've seen Whiteside give at ABT.  And yes, I was right.  I will be seeing Boylston/Simkin in Don Q this spring.

#5 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,790 posts

Posted 01 February 2014 - 05:40 AM

Thanks, Colleen. It seems like Boylston/Simkin will be the DON Q of choice (at least, MY choice...ha-ha) this spring in DC.

#6 koshka

koshka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 11:57 AM

Got my ticket for the Sat matinee yesterday--hope the casting doesn't change!

#7 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,637 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 11:10 AM

The Kennedy Center is waiving handling fees on remaining ABT tickets. Mention code 176523 if ordering by phone.

#8 YouOverThere

YouOverThere

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 09 April 2014 - 05:06 PM

The Kennedy Center is waiving handling fees on remaining ABT tickets. Mention code 176523 if ordering by phone.

There are also some $39 orchestra seats for 4/15, 4/16, and 4/18. Tickets have to be purchased by 4/12. Discount code is 176509. You can't use both offers on the same ticket purchase.

#9 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 08:17 AM

Just looked at the ABT casting page.  Stearns is replaced in Sylphide and Don Q.  Anyone know what happened?  Ah well, more work for Gorak and Gomes.

#10 ABT Fan

ABT Fan

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 481 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:53 AM

Sorry to see Stearns is out, but happy to see Gorak gets another Les Sylphides.

Speaking of Gomes, I think he lives about a block from my office and I've seen him on my way to work a few times.  This morning I noticed his strong, dancerly walk before I realized it was him.  I must have smiled like a school girl when I passed him.  Even on the street he is a sight to behold.  Not a bad way to start the day. :)

#11 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 10:56 AM

Gomes got the Don Q, but I like him more as Espada than Basilio.  .

#12 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,487 posts

Posted 10 April 2014 - 07:36 PM

Stearns was out of YAGP, apparently he's injured.

#13 abatt

abatt

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,586 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 07:09 AM

Did anyone go to ABT last night? Reports?

#14 angelica

angelica

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 04:52 PM

Did anyone go to ABT last night? Reports?

abatt, there's a wonderful review of last night's ABT performance on the ****Official Sources Only**** This post will be deleted! blog. Vivid description, pros and cons, it's a don't miss review.

#15 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts

Posted 16 April 2014 - 06:08 PM

I saw yesterday's dress rehearsal, and it doesn't seem fair to review it, but I was pleased and surprised to see Sarah Lane as one of the fairies in The Dream. I don't know the company well enough to have recognized anyone else except the principals :Reyes, Whiteside, and Simkin. Are soloists usually cast as fairies in this ballet?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):