This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Opening of new Mariinsky II Opera House in St. Petersburg

Thanks for the review of Mariinsky II.....very fascinating to read your comments! These are bits of info we would never read in an article about the new theatre, so it really helps that you took the time.

Also, I loved your description of the historic theatre as an enchanted jewelry box. I think you are absolutely correct about that. It is gorgeous! I actually thought there were little signs here and there of the age of the historic theatre, but overall I was enchanted. Just sitting in that theatre is thrilling.

So I will be interested to see if I feel the same way about Mariinsky II when I finally see it, which might be sooner than I expected, because I got a job after 3 years of being out of work!!!! Hip hip hooray!!! I believe I do not start until August. If I am correct, I might hurry up and bathe myself in enchantment again before I face the challenging work ahead of me!!! It all depends on my start date, but I suspect my start date is when the school year here begins.

I would be very interested in your reactions. And a huge congratulations on your new job!

Thanks for the review of Mariinsky II.....very fascinating to read your comments! These are bits of info we would never read in an article about the new theatre, so it really helps that you took the time.

Also, I loved your description of the historic theatre as an enchanted jewelry box. I think you are absolutely correct about that. It is gorgeous! I actually thought there were little signs here and there of the age of the historic theatre, but overall I was enchanted. Just sitting in that theatre is thrilling.

So I will be interested to see if I feel the same way about Mariinsky II when I finally see it, which might be sooner than I expected, because I got a job after 3 years of being out of work!!!! Hip hip hooray!!! I believe I do not start until August. If I am correct, I might hurry up and bathe myself in enchantment again before I face the challenging work ahead of me!!! It all depends on my start date, but I suspect my start date is when the school year here begins.

I would be very interested in your reactions. And a huge congratulations on your new job!

Thank you so much! I cried buckets when I got the call this morning.

Anyway, now the attempt to convince my partner to go on a trip to Russia, or I might go alone again.

Congratulation! A celebratory trip to St. Pete must be in order!

Thanks, Drew. I haven't been in the new theater yet but I hope to at least have a look next year. For me the old theater actually has a wonderful cosy feeling like a big friendly living room. The chairs, although attached somehow, are almost standard house chairs. After a couple visits and recognizing familiar faces it can really feel like home.

Added comment:

Did you by any chance get to take a look inside the Mikhailovsky Theatre? It's been beautifully renovated.

http://mikhailovsky.ru/en/theatre/

Thanks, Drew. I haven't been in the new theater yet but I hope to at least have a look next year. For me the old theater actually has a wonderful cosy feeling like a big friendly living room. The chairs, although attached somehow, are almost standard house chairs. After a couple visits and recognizing familiar faces it can really feel like home.

Added comment:

Did you by any chance get to take a look inside the Mikhailovsky Theatre? It's been beautifully renovated.

http://mikhailovsky.ru/en/theatre/

Unfortunately I did not get to the Mikhailovsky.

Hello everyone!

I have been following this forum since a long time but it is the first time I ever post a message. I am writing a dissertation about the opening of the new mariinsky (who fund it, what are the political and economical purpose, how it is related to the cultural diplomacy...) and I find it very hard to get informations other than reviews from newspaper. I was wondering if some of you knows a governmental report or some serious reviews, books or even dissertation about it? It will helps me a lot! And maybe I can post it here when it is over.

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

Hello!

Some of the performances I went to during the White Nights Festival was at the Mariinsky II, and here are my impressions.

I really liked the place. It is comfortable, spacious and done with great taste. The lobby is spacious and its Swarovsky ligting fixtures are really a focal point. On the outside it is a little boxy and underwhelmed, but I really think it serves perfectly the purpose of not outdoing in high or presence its neighboring historic green nemesis. I sat at three different places, orchestra and in second and third rings, and had excellent views at all times. The place really looks solid and built to stand the pass of time. It is obvious from every single corner that they really wanted to build a place for years to come. Limestone in the outside and onyx and marble on the inside are in abundance and floor to ceilings windows in the main foyer provides unique views of the historic theater across the canal. Two thumbs up. :flowers:

Hello!

Some of the performances I went to during the White Nights Festival was at the Mariinsky II, and here are my impressions.

I really liked the place. It is comfortable, spacious and done with great taste. The lobby is spacious and its Swarovsky ligting fixtures are really a focal point. On the outside it is a little boxy and underwhelmed, but I really think it serves perfectly the purpose of not outdoing in high or presence its neighboring historic green nemesis. I sat at three different places, orchestra and in second and third rings, and had excellent views at all times. The place really looks solid and built to stand the pass of time. It is obvious from every single corner that they really wanted to build a place for years to come. Limestone in the outside and onyx and marble on the inside are in abundance and floor to ceilings windows in the main foyer provides unique views of the historic theater across the canal. Two thumbs up. :flowers:

I've been going to Festival performances there for three years and I do agree with you, Cristian. The inside is modern, but warm in feeling (lots of wood in the auditorium) and the onyx wall and Swarovsky lighting fixtures in the lobby are fine statements in restrained elegance. The main staircase is very impressive and the views from the second story picture windows of the historic surroundings are very atmospheric and lovely.

I think that the exterior could be blended in more with the historic surroundings. This could be accomplished over time with slight modifications, if desired. Since there is a plan for a plaza(?), etc. to connect the old and new theater this might do the job.. Having been in Moscow for the first time in April, I was impressed by the way that many of the new, glass buildings, fit in with the historic ones. The designs often have streamlined, but interesting shapes, that echo somewhat, their older, more decorative neighbors.

The auditorium is extremely comfortable and works just fine for me. The seats are very comfortable. They are also staggered and the floor is sloped so that no one's head is really blocking your view, which can be the case in the old theater.

I sometimes wish that the more traditional works were performed primarily in the historic theater, but have no complaints. Once the lights go out, the performance becomes everything, no matter where it is, if the stage settings work and are appropriate, and they are. Also the orchestra pit can be elevated and as theatrical as it may seem, when the musicians, men in tuxes (absolute Fred Astaire), perform the entr'acte from The Sleeping Beauty, it's pure magic.

Somehow, the artists are able to make the transition from one stage to the other, instantly and seamlessly. I just sit back and assume that the Mariinsky can do anything.