This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Winter Season 2013

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#136 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 10:03 AM

I agree completely w. Balanchinette about Bouder and Veyette. Bouder's balances were held longer and her jumps were higher than any of the other Aurora's at NYCB. She is MUCH better in this run than when she debuted in the role a few years ago. Really excellent characterization too. Ringer is too nice to play Carabosse. She doesn't really do evil. Loved Maria's over the top portrayal of Carabosse, although I wish she would return to the Lilac Fairy role for old times sake.

On a separate note, why are they scheduling Scheller to do Florine tonight! She should be resting in prep for her big debut as Aurora tomorrow. She has waited her turn to perform this role. She mentioned either in an interview or lecture a while back that she had learned the role of Aurora for the prior run of SB, but never got to perform it. Wishing her well!

#137 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 11:44 AM

. Ashley also has the best arms and back of any of the principal women at City Ballet right now -- her guesting in Europe really paid off on that score, I think. Fantasy casting -- I would love to see Ashley do Giselle!

I always thought that Ashley as Giselle was unimaginable, until I saw her in "Serenade" and felt I had seen her as Giselle, and she was wonderful.

#138 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 01:44 PM

On a separate note, why are they scheduling Scheller to do Florine tonight! She should be resting in prep for her big debut as Aurora tomorrow. She has waited her turn to perform this role. She mentioned either in an interview or lecture a while back that she had learned the role of Aurora for the prior run of SB, but never got to perform it. Wishing her well!

Someone over at NYCB must read these comments, because Scheller is now replaced by Pollack as tonight's Florine.

#139 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 19 February 2013 - 02:23 PM

Mearns has always done Lilac, never Aurora. They generally use the shorter women for Aurora, and the tall girls for Lilac. Janie Taylor is the exception to the rule. Vipa, I saw Ulbricht do Bluebird. Obviously, he gets a lot of height to his jumps. However, he is not an elegant dancer in terms of his line, which tends to get sloppy. I think Ulbricht is much more of a modern dancer, and does not look as good in classical rep.

Vipa, yes Reichlin did have some slight trouble in the prologue, but I thought it was minor. Mearns also had some minor difficulty with that variation, but not enough to be a distraction.

Thanks for the report Abatt. Unfortunately I'm only able to see one SB this season so I really appreciate getting all the reports and opinions.

#140 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 21 February 2013 - 10:13 AM

I saw Scheller's debut last night as Aurora. She seemed very nervous, especially during the Rose Adagiio scene. She quickly gave her hand from one suitor to the next because she could not hold the balance for long. In fact, at one point she looked dangerously close to coming off the pointe but the strong and able hand of one of the suitors saved her. There were minor glitches here and there in her footwork that I'm sure will be ironed out for the next time. I didn't think she placed much focus in development of character. Nor did I find her vision scene particularly moving. All the steps were done, but it lwas bland. The wedding scene was, in my opinion, the best portion of her performance. I would say her performance is a work in progress that will hopefully improve over time.

Savannah did pretty well with her Lilac. She certainly has the height for the role. Most of her variation was well done, although there were some small problems with her footwork.

I had high hopes for Brittany Pollack as Florine. However, she lacked refinement, especially in her use of her arms.

Garcia was in good form and seems to work well with Scheller.

#141 CAM

CAM

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 February 2013 - 04:47 PM

At today's rehearsal the company was working on repetory for the tour. Among them was "Polyphonia". The Wendy Whelan, Jock Soto roles were taken by Tiler Peck and Ask Le Cour. The dancers were game but the entire shape of the dance was different and they struggled to bend into the proper shapes. I would file it under an "interesting experience."

CAM

#142 canbelto

canbelto

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 24 February 2013 - 09:57 AM

I was at last night's performance. Great overall performance -- Bouder's Aurora still amazes with her absolute security and confidence. The final series of promenade/balances in the Rose Adagio were amazing. The fairies were absolutely wonderful. But Lauren Lovette as Princess Florine was simply perfection. I have a feeling next time this is revived, Lovette will be dancing Aurora. She really has that special star quality.

#143 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 01:36 PM

At today's rehearsal the company was working on repetory for the tour. Among them was "Polyphonia". The Wendy Whelan, Jock Soto roles were taken by Tiler Peck and Ask Le Cour. The dancers were game but the entire shape of the dance was different and they struggled to bend into the proper shapes. I would file it under an "interesting experience."

CAM

Speaking of the tour, it seems that Somogyi has recovered. I looked at the casting for the Nevada shows, and Jennie Somogyi is cast in Red Angels. Let's hope she stays injury-free for a long, long time.

#144 AlbanyGirl

AlbanyGirl

• PipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 25 February 2013 - 02:38 PM

. Ashley also has the best arms and back of any of the principal women at City Ballet right now -- her guesting in Europe really paid off on that score, I think. Fantasy casting -- I would love to see Ashley do Giselle!

I always thought that Ashley as Giselle was unimaginable, until I saw her in "Serenade" and felt I had seen her as Giselle, and she was wonderful.

Ashley was indeed wonderful this season in Serenade. I would love to see NYCB stage (is that the right word?) Giselle, but not the way they staged Swan Lake full-length and Romeo and Juliet. I really don't care for those sets and costumes, except the swans' tutus. I'm willing to bet many of their ballerinas would love to dance the role. Several years ago (maybe 5 or so), NYCB danced Chopiniana at Saratoga Performing Arts Center and it was really lovely. According to NYCB's website, it was choreographed by Danilova after Fokine.

#145 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 09:56 AM

Yes, the Martins fulllengths are pretty hideous, aren't they, AlbanyGirl? ugliest Swan Lake I've ever seen in terms of decor and costumes. (Not that the choreography is good.)
Chopiniana was an odd hybrid thing. Balanchine and Danilova did it *together*--in 1972. The thing most criticized about it at the time were the brief little skirts and tunics
(almost like Apollo's costumes) which are not at all appropriate for a Romantic ballet such as Les Sylphides (the original title)....Karin von Aroldingen , one of the principals
in that production, spoke about it very amusingly--she said that there was not enough money for real costumes but that she tried out a prototype which Karinska made for her--
white, layered and tiered, at least below the knee. von A said it was lovely and she felt completely different wearing it. She also observed that --this is too funny--
"All those slooooooooooooooow landings--with nothing on--were VERY disturbing!!"

#146 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

The Martins "Sleeping Beauty" sets and costumes are beautiful.

#147 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,881 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

Martins seems to have an affinity for Per Kirkeby - a fellow Dane (designer of sets and costumes of SL and R&J). While Martins might enjoy his artwork, I think he made a huge mistake hiring him for these 2 productions. As noted above, the designs and costumes are hideous. Kirkeby may be an admired artist (by some), but his concepts do not translate well to the ballet stage. It's a big problem when directors like Martins hire their friends for projects that they are not qualified for. (Similar problem with the new backdrop for Scotch Symphony that was unveiled a few years ago, designed by a former NYCB dancer.)

The designers used for the sets and costumes of SB are well known and have worked on numerous Broadway productions. They are not studio artists who are dabbling in stage production design..

#148 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,461 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 11:06 AM

"Sleeping Beauty" does count as one of the Martins full-lengths. He got it right at least once.

#149 jsmu

jsmu

• PipPipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

True. The sets and costumes almost make up for the 'choreography' and the 'let's get this sucker over with' hand-on-the stopwatch approach to a ballet intended to be a resplendent theatrical universe.

#150 vipa

vipa

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 27 February 2013 - 06:02 PM

"Sleeping Beauty" does count as one of the Martins full-lengths. He got it right at least once.

I like his "Magic Flute" it's a particularly good ballet to take kids to. IMO much better than Sleeping Beauty or Nutcracker as an introduction to ballet for kids.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):