This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Le Corsaire - Spring 2012

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#31 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 07:54 PM

Electrifying, spectacular, perfection. All there. Why do I come away feeling I've just been to the circus?

#32 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 08:01 PM

Electrifying, spectacular, perfection. All there. Why do I come away feeling I've just been to the circus?

it's le corsaire?

I don't know, I thought it was a great performance. And to second the kudos for Yuriko...I hadn't seen her in some time until I saw her earlier this season in the SL pas de trois. I was REALLY impressed. And after tonight I was even more so. I want to see her in a full length main role, stat. I think Aurora would suit her well.

#33 4mrdncr

4mrdncr

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 670 posts

Posted 05 July 2012 - 10:18 PM

Well, California, that's my point entirely. Although I certainly love trolling around YouTube to see what's been posted, be they clips from HDs or telecasts by European companies, or surreptitious bits caught shakily on cell phones from the audience, we should be seeing--occasionally, at the very least--telecasts of ABT performances on American public television. I'm not eager to knock City Ballet, which had a Nutcracker telecast last year and a telecast of their (well danced, but very ugly production of) R&J the year before, but why is ABT left out in the cold?

I wondered about the lack of ABT on PBS in the last couple years as well. But there were earlier complaints that PBS (being a national 'network' ) should also showcase other national ballet companies - therefore, we had SFB in "Little Mermaid" and MCB in their triple bill last year etc. Personally, I'd like to see that PNB "Giselle" reconstruction (or even BB's which I also thought v. interesting and scarier than most others).
RE: Dancers,
I guess I'll have to keep pushing for funding to finish my doc, and then you can all see & keep Herman, Angel and others for posterity.

#34 mimsyb

mimsyb

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 03:03 AM

Yes, Aurora, "Le Corsaire" which happily allows for all of the above. I also thought the performance was great, and I agree with you about Yuriko. Never better! (although I would hate to saddle her with ABT's production of "S.B").
I'm always glad when "Corsaire" is scheduled last in the season. It sends everyone out on a very happy note. But dancing elephants would not be out of place here.

#35 Birdsall

Birdsall

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,339 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 07:34 AM

I agreed with the fact tha Vasiliev handled her as only I have seen Marcelo do, and the moment commented by fondoffouettes was really something, he afforded the luxury of going almost in arabesque, in demi-point, after having walked around with her up high there, it was really priceless, and beautiful too.

Vasiliev does that almost arabesque half point as Basilio in the Act 1 coda of Don Quixote also while holding Kitri in the air. I understand both camps concerning him. Totally exciting and thrilling stage performer, but not exactly elegant, almost reckless looking, but that is part of the thrill. He's a risk taker. I think ballet will always have a circus element to it, and many people don't like that, but it is here to stay. Never going to go away. Personally, I am glad. I think there is room for all types of performers. But if you see Vasiliev in DQ, for example, you see there is more to him than just circus tricks. He acts well too. This is a true animal of the stage.

#36 ksk04

ksk04

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 482 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

Thanks for all of the wonderful reports about Veronika's debut. I didn't think I'd be looking forward to Le Corsaire here next year, but I cannot wait to see what she can do with it!

#37 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:06 AM

Osipova was spectacular last night, together with Vasiliev they brought the house down, the met roared fiercely at the end of the “out of this world” act II pdd. She has so much energy, no fear pushing the limits, everything brought gasp from the audience, from the first flying jetes to the inhuman ronde de piques (did you guys see that ?) to the stunning fouettes (what exactly did she do when she was changing the leg, can someone explain please ? ) to her crazy extensions, I loved her lines in her customes. I eat every single moment of her, could not really look anywhere else.I liked Vasiliev better last night, and he was on fire too, these two really enjoyed being together at the met stage last night. It was a different performance, but certainly one for the ages.

Kudos to Kayija too, she was wonderful, held her own really well,she has had a wonderful season.

Only huge disappointment to me (again) was Kobborg, its not even worth to get into details, it was worst than his Romeo, which is a lot to say, and next to the two Bolshoi beasts, oh well……my question is, what is the point of bringing this guy to dance here ? I am a big supporter of mega-stars being brought, but this guy is outdanced by pretty much every soloist and quite a few members of the corps, so……I just don’t get it…..maybe is to keep alina happy, if so, boy we are paying big time to have her here.

#38 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:19 AM

Osipova's ronde de piques were the fastest I have EVER seen. . I don't know the technical name for what she was doing with the fouettes, but it was astounding. She even used the normally dead moments of the ballet to impress us, like when the hooded goons block her from running away after Conrad has been knocked out by the funky flower. She spun like a top at the end of that scene, while most ballerinas merely run around or do one or two spins. Vasiliev was definitely super-charged by being on the stage with his finacee. Let's hope for Don Q next season so we can see these two blow the roof off the Met.

Kobberg is disappointing. I know he's a big star at the Royal, but so far I haven't been able to figure out why. He is a strong partner, though. I guess he is no youngster, so he may have been much more impressive in prior years.

#39 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:31 AM

I agreee abatt, honestly, I could not belive my eyes in the ronde de piques, literally, I dont recall ever anything alike, people started screaming half way through them, and at the end when she stood up in that rock solid balance in sky high arabesque, I thought I was dreaming. Do physics principles apply to her at all ????? I still dont know how in the world she didnt fall.

Same with the speed of the fouettes. She made a huge deal of every single little phrase.
Did you see her throwing herself to Kobborg's arms in the bedroom pdd ?
I was quiet but a few people surounding me were close to have a nervous breakdown for real.

#40 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:44 AM

Abatt and Classic_Ballet, I think you're being a trifle too tough on Kobberg. Now, I haven't seen him at the Royal, so cannot comment on his level of performance there, and yes, the three times I've now seen him at ABT he has struck me as quite competent, but not flashy in any way. However, bear in mind that he partners VERY well, and did so last night with Osipova. And really, most of what Conrad has to do is partnering. Remember, too, that anyone might look underpowered when Osipova and Vasiliev are also on stage. True, he's not the most exciting danseur but he's no embarassment, and he is a small price to pay (if that is the case) for having Alina make guest appearances with ABT (sort of like having to take Ricky Bonynge if you want Joan Sutherland). Now, of course, if you're going to make the argument that engaging him is cheating one of the ABT company members out of dancing a role, well, that's another story, and I'm not going to get into that.

#41 Classic_Ballet

Classic_Ballet

• PipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:51 AM

Hi Golden Idol, well, honestly to my eyes it was close to embarrasement, in fact he was actually funny when he made a little jump after Vasiliev in the curtain calls, it kind of said it all. Its true that next to Osipova and Vasiliev its easy to look underpowered, but thats one thing, and another one is to not be able to even lift a leg for a decent arabesque or jete, or do a clean single/double piruette for once. He looked so out of place last night, the poor guy.

When I saw him next to Salstein and Mathews in R&J, I really felt bad for him too, especailly in the variation right before entering the ball room scene.

now think, if you are desperate for a chance, and you have to witness this guy being brought from far away, i wdnt be happy myself.

with that said, since I adore Alina, if thats the price, I am ok with that, as long as as they dont start putting them together, bc then it wd really be a total killer for me.

#42 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 11:56 AM

I wasn't judging Kobborg in comparison to either Osipova or Vasiliev. I was judging him based on other dancers who perform Conrad at ABT. I had seen him at Kings of Dance several years ago and I thought very hightly of his performance then. I acknowledge that he is a strong partner.

#43 Golden Idol

Golden Idol

• PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 12:07 PM

Oh, well, Classic_Ballet, I guess you're right. I didn't see him in that R&J, but if you say so... (Maybe I'm more forgiving that you!)

By the way, I should also say that I sat up and took notice of Arron Scott's Birbanto last night. Apart from his Dance of the (ahem) Golden Idol, I haven't seen him do an extended role before, and I was pleasantly surprised. Craig played it with great swagger, and he kicks higher in the Pirate dance, but Scott impressed me. More, please, Mr. Scott. On the other hand, it looked to me that Jared was playing the slave trader with the exact same grin on his face that he used as the ballroom von Rothbart. But whereas he was "out of his element" (as someone posted here last week,and I tend to agree) as Rothbart, the weaselly grin seemed appropriate for Lankendam.

#44 Raylene

Raylene

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 02:14 PM

From my perspective, Kobborg's Romeo was just fine. I thought the absence of pyrotechnics was totally in keeping with his depiction of Romeo as a pensive observer. His deep plies contributed to a lovely seamlessness in his phrasing and a very clear articulation of the movement’s underlying structure. Clearly his partnering was sublime. For me, it was an absolute revelation. It was extremely nuanced with amazing spontaneity and texture.

I realize that the thread is Corsaire; please move as appropriate. Thank you.

#45 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,753 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 06:51 PM

Tonight it was battle of the all star short dancers. Cornejo is my favorite Conrad at ABT since Bocca quit. Sky high jumps, wonderful lines. He also partnered Reyes very well, lifting her high and with complete security in the big overhead lifts. Vasiliev was again great as Ali. The Act II pas de trois was like a little competition between Cornejo and Vasiliev. Simkin, not to be outdone, also turned in a stellar performance as Lankedam. However, he was merely adequate as a partner to Lane. Saviliev was a much stronger partner for her. Simkin did three or four of those deep knee bends on his landings in his solo that Malhakov used to do.) Reyes was a bit off her game in Act I. She was not in control during her fouettes. She was excellent in Act II. However, in the final act her Italian fouettes were traveling all over the place.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):