This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Mixed Bill - Firebird, etc.Ratmansky premiere

• Please log in to reply
43 replies to this topic

#31 Cygnet

Cygnet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 734 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 06:37 AM

Thanks everyone for your reports; now I know... Natalia, I also hope that you can see Boylston's O/O debut. I'm so happy to learn that
she did so well last night!

#32 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:25 AM

...Natalia, I also hope that you can see Boylston's O/O debut. I'm so happy to learn that she did so well last night!

Just got our tix...luckily, as it's almost sold out. Boylston was fantastic in the little 'teaser' at the Kennedy Center this past January, when she & Gomes essayed the 'Black Swan' pdd. I'm only sorry that Gomes won't be her first 'full' Siegfried; instead, it's Danil' Simkin. Here's hoping for a felicitous pairing!

#33 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:01 AM

[size=4]....Couldn't take Semionova's non stop ear to ear smile. She was fine, but Part was awesome on Monday. ...[/size]

I used to think that the non-stop grinning was a 'Russian thing' with the role of Terpsichore (e.g., Assylmuratova & Zakharova) until I saw Part, who had the more appropriately serious visage. It's doubly weird when the two other muses are appropriately serious but Terpsi is in her own 'lah-lah land,' as we saw yesterday. Too bad, as she was lovely in her dancing and sculptural poses. Kudos to Marcello for strong partnering, especially that final move in the pdd, hoisting this tall amazon onto his back. Marcello delivered, sweat and all! A very manly and strong Apollo, as Abatt wrote.

#34 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,288 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:10 AM

...Natalia, I also hope that you can see Boylston's O/O debut. I'm so happy to learn that she did so well last night!

Just got our tix...luckily, as it's almost sold out. Boylston was fantastic in the little 'teaser' at the Kennedy Center this past January, when she & Gomes essayed the 'Black Swan' pdd. I'm only sorry that Gomes won't be her first 'full' Siegfried; instead, it's Danil' Simkin. Here's hoping for a felicitous pairing!

For such an important role it seems a shame Boylston could not debut w. an experienced Siegfried or at the very least someone known for his partnering skills. The Mikhailovsky imported Gomez for Osipova's Swan Lake debut, and Osipova is a much more experienced principal dancer than Boylston. (Of course Osipova has more clout!) I assume Boylston is NOT complaining, but I feel like complaining on her behalf. Wish Simkin the best of course and he can dance wonderfully...so, yes, "here's hoping for a felicitous pairing" ...

#35 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:13 PM

I also went to see the McKenzie gala on Wednesday night. I agree that Misty Copeland is the most effective Firebird. This is not a slam on Misty but she is dancing choreography that is fully using her technical possibilities whereas Osipova seems hemmed in. We know that Osipova can jump higher and wilder. Misty is also filling in the details better. I saw Misty fight to gain her freedom from Ivan's grasp and then learn to respect his bravery. I just feel the dramatic arc is all over the place with too much going on and you just don't where to focus. When the four leads go into that pas de quatre it just goes off the rails. At least Misty made it clear that she is trying to weave some kind of spell over everyone to stave off any violence but then she is being tossed around by Ivan and Kastchei and you are scratching your head. What is going on? There is an interesting ballet in there but it needs to be brought out with some editing.

I don't think the sets are cheap looking - they have a "Tim Burton" kind of techno cartoon creepiness that I like.

#36 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:53 PM

I used to think that the non-stop grinning was a 'Russian thing' with the role of Terpsichore (e.g., Assylmuratova & Zakharova) until I saw Part, who had the more appropriately serious visage.

I wish I'd seen that. One thing I remember about Part as Terpsichore at the Met in '99 is her grin.

#37 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 15 June 2012 - 12:59 PM

I am interested in hearing reports from anyone who saw Beloserkovsky Wednesday night in his lone performance (other than the opening night gala) of the season in "Apollo".

Deborah Jowitt was there and found him in good form. I think if you can manage the jumps and partnering in "Apollo" you could manage a "Swan Lake" or perhaps a "Giselle". Anyway, Jowitt and I are kind of on the same page about "The Firebird" a la Ratmansky:

http://www.artsjourn...nd-goofy-girls/

#38 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 16 June 2012 - 06:14 AM

I used to think that the non-stop grinning was a 'Russian thing' with the role of Terpsichore (e.g., Assylmuratova & Zakharova) until I saw Part, who had the more appropriately serious visage.

I wish I'd seen that. One thing I remember about Part as Terpsichore at the Met in '99 is her grin.

I also remember that grin in '99, I remember all of ABT's muses grinning from ear to ear with Dvorovenko batting her eyelashes at the audience. This time they were all more appropriate, with Part only smiling at a point somewhere around the middle of the pdd. That, to me, is acceptable. Although I agree that,overall, Apollo was very soft compared to what we're used to I enjoyed the performance with the exception of Hee Seo who was simply miscast as Polyhymnia. Hallberg was gorgeous, as were Part & Abrera.

I thought 13 Diversions was at least 4 diversions too long, though Misty's solo & ppd were wonderful. Firebird was a mess.

#39 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 04:45 AM

I must have gotten Part in a somber mood! She was quite acceptable, grin-wise. That performance was even on YouTube for a while, before the Balanchine Cops took it down. I looked for it but could not find.

#40 aurora

aurora

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 677 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 05:34 AM

I also remember that grin in '99, I remember all of ABT's muses grinning from ear to ear with Dvorovenko batting her eyelashes at the audience. This time they were all more appropriate, with Part only smiling at a point somewhere around the middle of the pdd. That, to me, is acceptable. Although I agree that,overall, Apollo was very soft compared to what we're used to I enjoyed the performance with the exception of Hee Seo who was simply miscast as Polyhymnia. Hallberg was gorgeous, as were Part & Abrera.

There is some sort of confusion here--
in 1999 Part was not with ABT. She may have done this in 99 (she danced it with Kirov) but she was not one of ABT's muses grinning etc.

#41 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,320 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 07:23 AM

in 1999 Part was not with ABT. She may have done this in 99 (she danced it with Kirov) but she was not one of ABT's muses grinning etc.

Right, she danced it twice in New York with the Kirov. Posted Image

#42 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:40 AM

Sorry, of course I have my dates wrong. Part did it with ABT a few years ago, and thats the run I'm recalling. The muses were all very smiley back then...

#43 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:24 AM

Yes, I saw Part with ABT, not Kirov. At City Center in '06, with Hallberg, Wiles and Abrera. She smiled a little in solo poses but was basically solemn, like the others. Nothing like the frozen smile on Polina, Altynai, et al.

Back to my 'Firebird Weird-o-Meter.' I forgot to mention the very unique version by Maurice Bejart. Even though the designs are spare, the concept and, most importantly, the choreography are clear and musical. Hence, I would rank the Bejart very high -- tied with or just below the lovely DTH version. Excerpt below:

#44 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,398 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

For such an important role it seems a shame Boylston could not debut w. an experienced Siegfried or at the very least someone known for his partnering skills. The Mikhailovsky imported Gomez for Osipova's Swan Lake debut, and Osipova is a much more experienced principal dancer than Boylston. (Of course Osipova has more clout!) I assume Boylston is NOT complaining, but I feel like complaining on her behalf. Wish Simkin the best of course and he can dance wonderfully...so, yes, "here's hoping for a felicitous pairing" ...

Drew, sorry - I just saw this. This will also be Simkin's debut as Siegfried - a 'double debut matinee'! It's been a few seasons since he joined the company. I'm sure that he has 'bulked up' and strengthened his partnering since his 'Les Bourgeois' days! Also, they've already paired-up in Bright Stream, right?

I firmly believe that we'll have a chance to see a full Boylston-Gomes Swan Lake some time in the future. Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):