This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Paris Opera Ballet collection

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#16 nysusan

nysusan

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 997 posts

Posted 17 January 2012 - 06:32 AM

Just watched the Pontois clapping variation - she's wonderful!

Here's a question for anyone who's seen the POB version AND the version Nureyev mounted in the 70s for ABT. Are they similar? I saw several performances of the ABT version but only remember a little. Just impressions, really, of several dancers but not much about the production itself. I saw some wonderful Raymondas - Gregory, Kirkland, Makarova & van Hamel and strangely enough the ones that stick in my mind are Gregory and van Hamel - extremely regal, authoritative Raymondas. Also Nureyev and Bruhn alternated as de Brienne &Abderman,which was quite a treat!

#17 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 19 January 2012 - 10:55 AM

Susan, I didn't see Nureyev production but there was a scathing Arlene Croce review. She felt that Nureyev took the music and variations away from female characters (I guess Henriette and Clemence) and gave them to Abdelrakhman and Jean de Brienne. The whole focus of the production was beefing up the male roles at the expense of Raymonda.

Van Hamel's Raymonda is on Youtube and justifies your remembrance. The "Dancer's Dream - Raymonda" dvd has large sections of Elisabeth Platel as Raymonda and that is my dream POB ballerina for a video recording.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):