BOLERO: Ballerinas and Ice Skating Champions

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 elena

elena

• PipPip
  • 82 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 09:30 PM

I'm generally a lurker but I must post to admit I have been keeping track of this show on YT... makes me happy to see Evgenia getting a perfect score :D I wish I understood Russian... do they eliminate people or is it that the city with the team of the highest scores wins? I was thinking maybe it was a St. Petersburg v. Moscow thing but I don't understand anything so I could be totally wrong. I try to figure things out by reading comments and using google translator but obviously that isn't going so well...

#17 Marga

Marga

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts

Posted 10 December 2011 - 11:01 PM

This competition is positively mesmerizing. I missed it somehow, but am glad to have 'found' this thread today. I've been watching clip after clip in utter fascination. Osipova as we've never seen her before, performing to Christina Aguilera in "[font=Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif]B[/font]urlesque" (she opens with a pole dance!)!

Julia Makhalina dancing so out-of-the-box.[size=2] Posted Image [/size]

Farouk, as team leader, looking strange in his dyed blonde, untamed hair. Perren, exquisitely beautiful, dancing so lyrically. I've saving Obraztsova for dessert. Thank you for posting this, Natalia! Going back for more...

#18 Helene

Helene

Administrator

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 11,137 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 04:55 PM

It started as a Moscow (Yagudin/Kretova, Marinin/Somova, Kostomarov/Osipova, Shabalin/Krysanova) vs. St. Petersburg (Staviyski/Obratsova, Tikhonov/Arbusova, Tchernyshev/Perren, Vanagas/Makhalina) thing that later turned into couples.

I could barely get through ten full programs without going to the next. I could almost hear the SYTYCD contemporary choreographers explaining, "It's about a relationship where they try to get together again, but then are torn apart..." "It's about two portraits coming to life, but then are torn apart..." "It's about two people who keep crossing in the night, but are torn apart..."

I tended to like the comic ones, like these, because they required excellent timing:

Alexei Yagudin/Irina Perren

Maxim Marinin/Natalia Somova

The only serious dance I really liked was this by Marinin/Somova:

and this "free dance" wasn't impossible and had very intricate partnering:

Although his upper body was stiff like all of the male skaters, Marinin to me was most convincing as a dancer. Even when his form wasn't great and he was a bit stiff, like in one of the tangos, he had excellent timing. He was dancing with his wife, which I'm sure made them look like more of a couple, but that's a double-edged sword: when asked in a Q&A about what the difference was between dancing with her husband, Seth Orza, and other partners, Sarah Ricard Orza replied, "No filter."

Marinin, as one of the two pairs men -- Tikhonov was the other -- had to perfect an entirely different lift technique for this contemporary choreography, having had little practice in dance lift technique, apart from the "Cotton Club" program and some exhibitions he skated with Tatiana Totmianina. (Had this been classical ballet, his pairs lift technique, almost all overhead, would have come in handier.) In that sense, the ice dancers -- Vanagas, Tchernyshev, Kostamarov, Shabalina, and Staviyski -- had the distinct advantage, especially since all dance lifts are worked out on the floor before they are translated to ice, not to mention their extensive ballroom training and skating for the Ice Dance discipline. I thought they worked around Yagudin as a singles skater quite well, since he doesn't have general experience lifting or skating that close to anyone.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):