23 replies to this topic

#16 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,388 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 12:08 PM

I can't believe that folks in the USA still have not received the book. Mine came to my present locale (in Middle East) within a week of ordering from the UK amazon. AND I just received another fascinating book that I read last night and will review when I have a bit more time: Octavio Roca's tribute to Alicia Alonso...er, I mean, history of the Cuban Ballet...with convenient omissions (e.g., true story of the Sarabias).

#17 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 03:19 PM

I can't believe that folks in the USA still have not received the book. Mine came to my present locale (in Middle East) within a week of ordering from the UK amazon.

I can't believe it, either...according to Amazon US, the book is out of print, with limited availability! I think I might order it from Amazon UK and pay extra for the shipping, though that will really be an expensive proposition. Amazon US went right from putting people on a notification list, to saying it is out of print...as far as I know, it has never even been stocked! Enjoy the new Roca book, too...that's another one that sounds fascinating.

#18 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,217 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:35 PM

How frustrating...I WANT IT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWW!!! :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

#19 leonid17

leonid17

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,413 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 04:44 AM

I can't believe that folks in the USA still have not received the book. Mine came to my present locale (in Middle East) within a week of ordering from the UK amazon.

I can't believe it, either...according to Amazon US, the book is out of print, with limited availability! I think I might order it from Amazon UK and pay extra for the shipping, though that will really be an expensive proposition. Amazon US went right from putting people on a notification list, to saying it is out of print...as far as I know, it has never even been stocked! Enjoy the new Roca book, too...that's another one that sounds fascinating.

This book is what in the past, would have been called a "vanity" publication being written and published by the author and it is my understanding that very few copies of the book were printed.

However, I have heard from several sources as to its value in terms of research and illustrations and in this respect goes beyond previous studies. It is short I am told, on descriptions of Karsavina in performance and fails to deal with her post Russia later life as Natalia mentioned.

#20 rg

rg

Emeralds Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,434 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

a communication i've had with Andrew Foster noted that he was finding it difficult to deal with Amazon (US) and suggested that any US buyers i knew might be advised to go through Amazon UK - the postage he thought was 7 GBP (if i understood correctly).
as for 'vanity' publication, tho' the term might traditionally apply here, it has long been something of a pejorative term. i wonder if a new one needs to be identified nowadays for such deluxe publications. print is on the decline and publishers that will take on a book of numerous photos are fewer and fewer, if they exist at all for any but presentations of pop stars.
the fact that this Karsavina scholar and collector has chosen to put his collection and his research in a book of this scale and with this care is to my way of seeing the world nowadays quite remarkable and more generous that 'vanity' of intention.
i'd say that Foster chose not to feature the later career of Karsavina for reasons of his own. from what i know of his collection, it does indeed cover the later years, but beyond editoral choices, he had to decide where to focus and where not to.
(full disclosure, i've been in touch w/ this collector over the years and 3 items from my collection are used for the book's copious illustrations.)

#21 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:47 AM

Thank you for that information, rg...I will order through Amazon UK right away. Best wishes, and again thanks.

#22 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 01:57 PM

I ordered a copy via Amazon UK, and it came very quickly. It is a gorgeous book, large photographs all on glossy stock. I certainly recommend it. Mary

#23 Bonnette

Bonnette

• PipPipPip
  • 242 posts

Posted 16 October 2010 - 04:04 PM

Thanks for that info, Mary...I have had so many large, unexpected expenses this month that I can't order it right away...but I'm glad to know you got it quickly and that you recommend it.

#24 sandik

sandik

Rubies Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,342 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 04:25 PM

I didn't know there was a hold-up from the US version of Amazon -- thanks so much for the heads-up!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):