Dutch National Ballet's Giselle

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#16 Wedgewes

Wedgewes

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 25 July 2009 - 11:52 PM

Has there been any further word on when we can expect this to be available?

#17 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,905 posts

Posted 04 November 2009 - 10:49 AM

Giselle is now listed on the Kultur web site. It will be released on DVD and Blu-Ray on January 26, 2010 (surely not 2009, as stated on the site).

http://estore.websit.....r,/Detail.bok
http://estore.websit.....r,/Detail.bok

Edited to add: Amazon.com is taking pre-orders.

#18 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:34 PM

Has there been any further word on when we can expect this to be available?

This is a rather late reply but in case anyone is interested, Dutch National Ballet's Giselle is now out on DVD and Blu-Ray in the US.

It's also available now on DVD in the Netherlands.

The UK release date is 22nd February and Germany 26th.

I'm not sure if this is the correct protocol but here's the link to Amazon UK:
http://www.amazon.co...assoc_ss_swlb=1

#19 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

I got my copy a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a beautiful production (designed by Toer van Schayk.) The backdrop of the first act (a forbidding icy blue mountain scene) was contrasted with the warm earth tones of the village--it seemed like a foretelling of the tragedy that was to come. This same background was also used to great effect in Act 2 and was silhouetted with black trees. There was a peasant pas de quatre in Act 1 superbly danced, especially by the women. Michele Jimenez and Maia Gremillet. In addition to the usual solos, the two ladies also performed variations to music I had never heard before. I thought perhaps it was another composer, but Adam is the only one listed. Tsygankova was a credible Giselle and I especially liked Josef Varga's Albrecht.

#20 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:38 PM

Thanks, 3minuteswest, for updating this thread.

I'm not sure if this is the correct protocol but here's the link to Amazon UK:

It's now available from Amazon in the USA as well. Just click the Amazon box at the top of the page. If you order from there, a percentage of the purchase price will go to benefit Ballet Talk. I've just done that, thanks to atm711's recommendation. :)

#21 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 01:44 PM

Great to hear that you enjoyed it atm711! Thanks for your comments.

The backdrop was rather unusual as it was a single cloth that stretched all the way around the three sides of the stage, with exits cut into it for the dancers. Toer van Schayk's intention was for it to look like a watercolour painting. We thought it was very effective and the decor has received some positive comments elsewhere too.

The music for the pas de quatre was indeed by Adam. Just a note that it was Maia Makhatelli, who was partnered by Mathieu Gremillet.

I got my copy a couple of weeks ago and thought it was a beautiful production (designed by Toer van Schayk.) The backdrop of the first act (a forbidding icy blue mountain scene) was contrasted with the warm earth tones of the village--it seemed like a foretelling of the tragedy that was to come. This same background was also used to great effect in Act 2 and was silhouetted with black trees. There was a peasant pas de quatre in Act 1 superbly danced, especially by the women. Michele Jimenez and Maia Gremillet. In addition to the usual solos, the two ladies also performed variations to music I had never heard before. I thought perhaps it was another composer, but Adam is the only one listed. Tsygankova was a credible Giselle and I especially liked Josef Varga's Albrecht.

#22 CHazell2

CHazell2

• PipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 06 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi there.

Are the mime scenes included, e.g Berthe's Mime Scene? Also what is the production like? Is it dramatically exciting?

#23 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 08:08 AM

CHazell2, yes the mime scenes are included. Having watched many Giselles in preparation for filming this one, I would say it is dramatically exciting - particularly the second act. However as the producer I'm a little biased!

It was Dance Europe's Critics' Choice 2009 for best programme and the production has got some very nice reviews.

Hi there.

Are the mime scenes included, e.g Berthe's Mime Scene? Also what is the production like? Is it dramatically exciting?

#24 carbro

carbro

Late Board Registrar

• Rest in Peace
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,361 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 10:08 AM

Congratulations, 3minuteswest! :)

#25 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 01:38 PM

A couple of more thoughts on th production.....

In Act 1 Albrecht also has a variation to unfamiliar music. There is a 40 minute bonus feature and I was disappointed that it was not clarified.

The Corps in Act 2 wore their veils for a longer time than in any production I have seen and it added so much to the mystery of the scene. There was one absolutely breath-taking moment when the corps formed a perfect circle around Myrtha---and for the first time in any production they really looked like a sisterhood.

#26 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:25 AM

Congratulations, 3minuteswest! :dry:

Thanks carbro - I should clarify that it was the ballet, not the DVD, that was the Critics' Choice!

#27 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 03:27 AM

In Act 1 Albrecht also has a variation to unfamiliar music. There is a 40 minute bonus feature and I was disappointed that it was not clarified.

The Corps in Act 2 wore their veils for a longer time than in any production I have seen and it added so much to the mystery of the scene. There was one absolutely breath-taking moment when the corps formed a perfect circle around Myrtha---and for the first time in any production they really looked like a sisterhood.

I love that moment too, atm711. We placed a camera very high up specifically to capture that section.

I'm sorry that the questions about the music were not clarified in the bonus materials. I've asked the choreographers to provide some answers, I'll pass them on when I receive them.

#28 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 10:29 AM

atm711, I just heard from one of the choreographers that the unfamiliar music for Albrecht's first act solo is from Adam's score for Le Diable a Quatre.

#29 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,425 posts

Posted 10 February 2010 - 04:25 PM

atm711, I just heard from one of the choreographers that the unfamiliar music for Albrecht's first act solo is from Adam's score for Le Diable a Quatre.

thank you for this information, and also for the Peasant Pas----not knowing things like this can drive most BalletTalkers crazy. :wink:

#30 3minuteswest

3minuteswest

• PipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 16 February 2010 - 08:10 AM

thank you for this information, and also for the Peasant Pas----not knowing things like this can drive most BalletTalkers crazy. :blink:

BalletTalkers are incredibly knowledgeable! Glad to be of help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):