NutcrackerOnes that actually do it for you?

• Please log in to reply
123 replies to this topic

#121 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,214 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 03:20 PM

While we're at it, here's a video that gives you an idea of the Ballet Florida Nutcracker. The company is gone, now. But it remains in my memory as one of the most affecting and audience-entrancing I've seen.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1LDHp9I25wc&feature=related

P.S. I'm having trouble downloading this. If you click the black box, you'll get the YouTube version, which starts up immediately.

What a lovely production, bart!! Loved the house setting, and the dolls coming from that shell. I assume the flying rug with the guy is the arabian dance, right...? And according to the little snipped of the SPF PDD, it looks like in the same line as Wright/Alonso...beautiful indeed!

PS-Are you in the party scene in that clip...? :wink:

#122 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 04:11 PM

I assume the flying rug with the guy is the arabian dance, right...?

Right. Later this was changed into a two-ships-passing-in-the-night confrontation with an alluring odalisque carried on a litter. The lighting was increased, to capture the cobalt blue and gold body paint of bare-chested litter bearers. The mystery and sligiht naughtiness of it always made me think of the Imperial theaters in Russia.

PS-Are you in the party scene in that clip..?

No. The filmed this before I got the part. However, I was one of the team of butlers. It was not a starring role but had challenges of its own. Balancing feather-weight plastic champagne flutes on a silver tray, while dodging 30 or so dancing party-goers, is MUCH more difficult than carrying the real thing.) :wink:

#123 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,214 posts

Posted 15 September 2010 - 08:03 PM

I assume the flying rug with the guy is the arabian dance, right...?

Right. Later this was changed into a two-ships-passing-in-the-night confrontation with an alluring odalisque carried on a litter. The lighting was increased, to capture the cobalt blue and gold body paint of bare-chested litter bearers. The mystery and sligiht naughtiness of it always made me think of the Imperial theaters in Russia.

Wow...has a DVD been made of this production, bart...?

#124 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 03:34 AM

[H]as a DVD been made of this production, bart...?

Not anything that could be released commercially. Like most local and regional companies, BF lacked the resources and backing to even think of commercial video. I also suspect that this production was something that needed a live theater -- and living, breathing, reacting audiences -- to be experienced the way it was intended.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):