• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#31 volcanohunter

volcanohunter

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 06 December 2008 - 11:22 AM

Well, I hope you had the chance to see Zakharova once live after that missed opportunity, volcanohunter. You do realize that condemning an artist on account of a clip is rather cheap and doesn't really help anybody?

That's not fair, Marc. I didn't say that I reacted to every one of her roles that way. I don't find her Odette-Odile nearly as objectionable. Yes, I have seen her subsequently, and yes, I still think she's tacky.

I was simply stating that my first exposure to her Giselle filled me with a revulsion quite unlike any I'd experienced as a ballet viewer.

#32 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:33 AM

That's not fair, Marc. I didn't say that I reacted to every one of her roles that way. I don't find her Odette-Odile nearly as objectionable. Yes, I have seen her subsequently, and yes, I still think she's tacky.

I was simply stating that my first exposure to her Giselle filled me with a revulsion quite unlike any I'd experienced as a ballet viewer.

Then you should have said so to avoid people from drawing the wrong conclusions. It’s bizarre that you immediately refer to unfairness in your own defence, volcanohunter. That you like a dancer or not, is your good right, but that you should slam him or her on account of one single clip you didn’t even watch completely, is anything but fair.

#33 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,310 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 06:58 AM

This has been a most enjoyable and polite conversation, and thanks to all.

[Moderator Beanie ON]
Ballet Talk thrives on good discussion. Disagreement is of course part of that. Ideally, we make our points and move on. Some back-and-forth is probably better reserved for pm's or email. Thanks to all for adding to this very interesting topic. :sweatingbullets:
[Moderator Beanie OFF]

#34 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 09:48 AM

I loved Somova in Ballet Imperial back in April, totally to my surprise. I thought she was horrible in all the clips I found on YouTube and Vishneva had been scheduled for that final performance. I was horrified, but then thought Somova was glorious. But then, it's true, I don't judge with the same standards as the balletomanes, although I was pleased at the time that I had the same feeling about Ms. Somova that one of BT's dancers did. My intuition is that she might be a kind of performer that won't ever be consistent, but will sometimes by celestial. I'm glad she got the promotion, it was a big risk, but I don't why the Maryinsky wouldn't know what they were doing (although plenty of other companies are reputed not to as well...there have been innumerable rumours about wrong decisions by NYCB and ABT, and these have stretched into years of dispute...)

#35 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 10:16 AM

Somova...a pretty girl . :sweatingbullets:
http://www.ardani.co...SomovaAlina.jpg

#36 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 02:44 PM

Somova...a pretty girl . :sweatingbullets:
http://www.ardani.co...SomovaAlina.jpg

Yes, but her hair is now bright yellow and her chin is usually sticking out. She didn't look much like this photo last April in NYC

#37 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:14 PM

... her hair is now bright yellow

...you mean blonde?

#38 richard53dog

richard53dog

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,401 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:31 PM

...you mean blonde?

I mean yellow!

#39 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• 5,166 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:44 PM

...you mean blonde?

I mean yellow!

He,he. Just being annoying...never mind me. :P . Anyway... back to Miss Somova...

#40 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 07 December 2008 - 03:56 PM

...you mean blonde?

I mean yellow!

He,he. Just being annoying...never mind me. :P . Anyway... back to Miss Somova...

Makarova used to sometimes have yellow hair, I think it's common enough with Russians. Miss Somova is a beauty even with yellow hair, though, although much has been made of her long fingernails, etc., and many references to other aspects of her frightful taste, despite her natural beauty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):