Record number of fouettes?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Tymps

Tymps

• Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:25 AM

In Suzanne Farrell's autobiography, she mentions that when she was 14, she was able to do 114 fouettes (consecutively, of course). I was wondering, is there a record number? Has anyone heard of (or seen) a ballerina (or other dancer) performing more than 114 fouettes?

Thanks!

#2 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 11:51 AM

For years, The Guinness Book of World Records held that Rowena Jackson had done 121. She stopped because she "got bored". I don't believe that current editions of the book contain that topic.

#3 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 14 April 2008 - 01:43 PM

For years, The Guinness Book of World Records held that Rowena Jackson had done 121. She stopped because she "got bored". I don't believe that current editions of the book contain that topic.

THAT is hilarious... :smilie_mondieu:

#4 FauxPas

FauxPas

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts

Posted 16 April 2008 - 08:00 AM

I was told that Yoko Morishita (remember her?) would get up at parties and do 100 fouttes at the drop of a hat.

#5 drb

drb

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,508 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 04:58 PM

Then there is the matter of multiples. For this record, would a triple be counted as 1 or 3? Marianela Nunez did a quintuple in performance (can still be seen on You Tube, if you look for Nunez/5). Is this a record for multiples? Since someone can do five rotations, maybe true artists will quit this push for triples and artistry will matter more. What makes a perfect single?
What about musicality and beauty?

#6 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 05:37 PM

Marianela Nunez did a quintuple in performance (can still be seen on You Tube, if you look for Nunez/5). Is this a record for multiples?

Thanks, drb. You are an awe-inspiring source of links. :clapping:

I notice that the "category" the poster for this video chose was "sports." Listening to the crowd, this certainly seems appropriate. Who was that other guy on stage? Her trainer/spotter? An umpire? Someone from the Guinness Book of Records? :helpsmilie:

#7 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 22 April 2008 - 06:29 PM

well if you count pulling in from a fouette into multiple turns, i've seen 7 on stage.

#8 ami1436

ami1436

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 01:29 AM

Rojo routinely does 6 or 7 at the end of her fouttes as well.

#9 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 03:57 AM

Multiple pirouettes count as one step, but many turns. The thing about Guinness is, drink enough of it and you won't need to watch somebody else turn, you'll feel like you're doing it yourself, even sitting stock still.

#10 Barbara

Barbara

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 384 posts

Posted 23 April 2008 - 04:51 AM

Mel, you make me laugh!

#11 Nanarina

Nanarina

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:20 AM

:smilie_

I was told that Yoko Morishita (remember her?) would get up at parties and do 100 fouttes at the drop of a hat.

:) Was she powered by the beverage, it seems perhaps she could not stand on two feet !!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):