bart

Most memorable Swan Lake endings... ?

30 posts in this topic

ABT's. It is the best rendition of the double suicide original version.

Agreed. SL must have a tragic ending. And ABT's has the most dramatic tragic ending. If Kevin restores the 4th act, it could be the most definitive of all current productions. All current productions have major flaws, let's see if Ratmansky's SL for Zurich and La Scala will end the drought.

Agreed. SL must have a tragic ending. And ABT's has the most dramatic tragic ending. If Kevin restores the 4th act, it could be the most definitive of all current productions. All current productions have major flaws, let's see if Ratmansky's SL for Zurich and La Scala will end the drought.

Kent Stowell's production for Pacific Northwest Ballet is very faithful to the original intent, and includes significant chunks of what we understand to be original choreography (as it's been handed down -- he staged this in 2003, before the extensive use of the Stepanov scores) I have some quibbles with the sets, but the choreography is spot on. Very effective dance drama.

Odette returns to Rothbart, leaving Siegfried alive but bereft, if we're keeping score.

Odette returns to Rothbart, leaving Siegfried alive but bereft, if we're keeping score.

But...the original libretto calls for a double suicide, so I don't see how keeping Odette and Siegfried alive can be considered a faithful rendition. :dunno:

My favourite ending to Swan Lake will forever remain Hübbe & Schandorff's new version (for RDB) where (after Odette has disappeared off-stage, forever cursed to be a swan) Siegfried is forced by Rothbart to marry Odile. The entire political intrigue of it is wonderful, not to mention that there's something haunting about having to live with the consequences of your mistakes in life, rather than those mistakes necessarily leading to your demise.

However, I also really liked the ending to Wright's production for Swedish Royal Ballet. It felt genuine and fittingly dark for the production.

My favourite ending to Swan Lake will forever remain Hübbe & Schandorff's new version (for RDB) where (after Odette has disappeared off-stage, forever cursed to be a swan) Siegfried is forced by Rothbart to marry Odile. The entire political intrigue of it is wonderful, not to mention that there's something haunting about having to live with the consequences of your mistakes in life, rather than those mistakes necessarily leading to your demise.

Similar to the recovered ending to Giselle (which is in the Pacific Northwest Ballet reconstruction), where Bathilde approaches Albrecht at Giselle's grave, implying that she forgives him.