Which dancers in Theme were your favorites?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 12:42 PM

Although Rudolph did dance with Miss Page, I can pretty much state that they never did Theme. However I do know that there are some of Anne Barzel's films in the library that show him doing it with what must be Ballet Theatre, with Lupe Serrano!

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 12:50 PM

pmeja, I'm sure you're right, that it was with ABT and not Page. Perhaps it was in Chicago? I remember the Chicago connection (and Nureyev made his debut in NY with the Page company) and undoubtedly confused the two.

#18 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 12:58 PM

Goodness, I hope I didn't sound too pedantic! I just remembered having seen it and am pretty well acquainted with Ruth Page's repertory....

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Mme. Hermine ]

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 01:08 PM

No, not at all -- I'm glad you posted that and just meant to acknowledge what you'd written. I wouldn't want people to go around saying they read on Ballet Alert! that Nureyev danced Theme with Ruth Page's company smile.gif

#20 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,700 posts

Posted 25 January 2002 - 01:16 PM

Thanks, Alexandra! That I remember, I think what he danced with them was the Polovtsian Dances from Prince Igor, the Merry Widow and Don Quixote Pas de Deux with Sonia Arova. Should check, tho!!!!

[ January 25, 2002: Message edited by: Mme. Hermine ]

#21 Michael

Michael

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts

Posted 26 January 2002 - 09:43 PM

In recent years, Miranda Weese, for the reasons that Britomart set forth above and also Gillian Murphy at ABT. The interesting thing for me is how different each of their styles is.

#22 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 29 January 2002 - 10:14 AM

The best one???The original dancer it was created for--Alonso. I shall never forget her in that brilliant yellow tutu "en attitude" promenaded by Youskevitch. Many years later I saw Assylmuratova who was just as satisfying in the role. A successor to Youskevitch is harder to come by. Balanchine used his technical talents so brilliantly and by so doing captured the essence of his dancing --- his manner, his bearing, and, yes, his manliness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):