This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Auditions for the new Ballet de Espana

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:40 AM

Auditions for the Ballet de España are being carried out. They finished at the Teatro Real, in Madrid, and are going to take place in Barcelona's Opera House "Gran Teatre del Liceu" during this week.

More than 700 dancers from all over the world attended the first 3 day auditions made by a jury composed by relevant people of the international dance world such as Cynthia Harvey or Vladimir Vasiliev.

According to what Corella reported to Europa Press Televisión nearly all members have already been selected but the final decision will be made when Barcelona's auditions have finished. He was very surprised because of the high level of the attendants who came from all over the world, London, Japan, Australia...

The Company will premiere at the Teatro Real, in Madrid, in September 2008 and after a performance in Barcelona it will make an international tour including Washington and Japan.

AN "HISTORICAL" EVENT

Mrs. Cynthia Harvey commented that creating such a company was an absolute need for Spain to give to the people of this country the possibility to enjoy classical dance, "why are there so many good Spanish dancers in London when they should be dancing here?" she asked.

Comments from the other jury personality Mr. Vladimir Vasiliev were on the same way "It is rather strange that being dance such a very important issue for the people of this country, Spain doesn't have a Classical ballet Company" he said. To him, the creation of the Angel Corella's Classical Ballet Company is an "historical event not only for Spain but for all Europe".

Summary of the article Published in Terra Actualidad - Europa Press

If you follow this link you will find a picture of Ángel Corella with the members of the jury and the ballet teacher Mr. Eldar Aliev (at about the end of the post) shot by Jesús Vallinas during Madrid auditions.

#2 dcportrait

dcportrait

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 04:59 AM

CarolinaM - thanks for the report! What a huge turnout - with Barcelona yet to go! I'm glad we made the decision to send DD & her D friend over to audition in Madrid, rather than wait to see if the auditions came to the US - it's been a wonderful experience for them. Now, to await the outcome... :blink:

#3 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 08:11 AM

Uauuuu, I wish DD and her D friend lots of good luck! :blink:

Please keep us posted about the results.

#4 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 27 March 2007 - 11:28 AM

Cynthia Harvey commented that creating such a company was an absolute need for Spain to give to the people of this country the possibility to enjoy classical dance, "why are there so many good Spanish dancers in London when they should be dancing here?" she asked.

I guess that was the key question behind the formation of this new company. In a few years, I hope, Spanish ballet dancers will dance in other countries because they want to, not because the have to. :blink: Thanks, CarolinaM, for this news.

Plans for a tour (in 2008?) to the US and Japan sound particularly exciting -- and ambitious.

#5 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 04:31 AM

If you want to see some pictures of the auditions you can go to the bottom of this topic here There is also written information but I’m afraid it is only in Spanish. I’m not sure if an article about it all will follow in both Spanish and English.

In any case I translate what Jesús Vallinas, photograph and manager of fotoescena, said concerning the auditions after his attendance as dance photograph at the Teatro Real in Madrid:

The first shot of the topic shows Cynthia Harvey, Vladimir Vassiliev, Eldar Aliev (dance teacher of the Boston Ballet) and Ángel Corella, together with Mª Begoña Acuña representing the Foundation.

More than 700 dancers from 10 different nationalities attended the auditions, a lot of them traveling thousands of Km. to be there. Dozens of soloists and first dancers from all over the world are interested in the project…

……
……
--------------------------------------------------------
Second and third shots: Eldar Aliev’s class is fast and demanding, dancers capacities are put to test. It is designed to see the response, according to the classic discipline, of all kind of dancers. As I could notice the level of a corps de ballet as well as the one of a soloist is easily revealed.

All attendants do the complete class and only at the end, a reduced group is selected to follow with more exercises. According to the organization, once the auditions have finished, the final selection will be announced to the participants by 15 days.

Vladimir Vassiliev replayed to one question from the media with his usual -direct and honest- character and with a deep knowledge of the subject:

"It is a shame that Spain does not have a Classical Company"

That is what he said….. and he left with no more comments.

The rest of the topic is about Jesús requesting to cultural politics and organizations to ponder about Mr. Vassiliev words.

The last shot shows Cynthia Harvey and Vladimir Vassiliev over a letter I sent to the Catalan media asking them to cover the event as the Spanish newspapers did no mention at all about it.

In Cataluña the two most important newspapers have published my letter and are covering the auditions.

#6 bart

bart

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,320 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 06:48 AM

Really nice photos! I love the photo of Vasiliev holding Cynthia Harvey in an affectionate version of what is called a "strangle hold" in American wrestling. :clapping: :flowers:

It is impressive that over 700 dances auditioned, but sad that only 80 can be chosen.

I have a question about the title of the company. There are references in these press releases to "Compania de Ballet Classico Angel Corella" and even "Compania Inernacional de Ballet Classico en Espana." Has an official company name been chosen yet?

#7 Renata

Renata

• PipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:03 AM

Hi Bart,

Daunting as those statistics are, they are still better than those at the most of the US company auditions where over 100 dancers may be applying for 1 or 2 positions.

This is an ambitious undertaking and I certainly wish them well.

#8 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 07:05 AM

Really nice photos! I love the photo of Vasiliev holding Cynthia Harvey in an affectionate version of what is called a "strangle hold" in American wrestling. :) :blink:

It is impressive that over 700 dances auditioned, but sad that only 80 can be chosen.

I have a question about the title of the company. There are references in these press releases to "Compania de Ballet Classico Angel Corella" and even "Compania Inernacional de Ballet Classico en Espana." Has an official company name been chosen yet?

I don’t know bart. I was pretty sure that the name will be “Ballet de España” but now I read about "Compañía de Ballet Ángel Corella” and I’m a bit confussed too.

I’ll try to find it out.

#9 sz

sz

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 429 posts

Posted 29 March 2007 - 09:30 AM

>It is impressive that over 700 dancers auditioned, but sad that only
>80 can be chosen.

I've auditioned for B'way shows here in NYC where over 2,000 showed up at an audition (all Equity, union) -- all auditioning for the same single, female-soloist-dancer part. (I even got (won!) one of those auditions!!!....brag, brag.)

It's a lucky, very lucky break to be chosen out of 700 or 2,000. It's all in the eye of the beholder/auditioner(s).

Can't wait to hear who the chosen dancers will be for Corella's company!

#10 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 07:21 AM

I was invited to see the last audition at the Liceu last Saturday in BCN.

The level of the attendants was very high and it seems that it has been the same all the days long.

They followed a class given by Mr. ELDAR ALIEV Ballet Master of Boston Ballet, and former principal dancer at the Bolshoi.

This was the first audition I saw in my life and I was very surprised because even if one could very early clearly notice a big difference of level between the attendants, all succeeded with a great respect to everybody, leaving all the people finish their one hour class. After this hour some of them were asked to do alone more exercises, and this is that people who are in the list of candidates.

I think that the final list of dancers for the “Ballet the España” (they confirmed me the name) will be announced by 15 days.

#11 support system

support system

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 02 April 2007 - 09:05 AM

It is not unusual in the USA to attend an audition of 150-200 dancers for (maybe) one corps opening. Also, these auditions are often held in more than one location, further increasing the odds. The ratio seems quite generous in favor of the auditioning hopefuls for this new company. This is a wonderful beginning for Spain, and it's young dancers.
It appears as though a NYC audition will not be held, as was reported earlier.

#12 Grissi

Grissi

• PipPip
  • 85 posts

Posted 03 May 2007 - 09:02 AM

CarolinaM, do you know who finally won the posts? Has the list been published?

#13 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 10:57 AM

CarolinaM, do you know who finally won the posts? Has the list been published?

The press note has been published in Angel web site

As for the names it seems that some dancers haven't told their current companies that they will be leaving so the organization can not issue any list of names.

Hoping we will know soon, maybe after summer.

#14 support system

support system

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:28 AM

I counted quickly and came up with sixty dancers. Are there more to be announced? I thought that the original number to be hired was greater.

#15 CarolinaM

CarolinaM

• PipPipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 16 May 2007 - 11:50 AM

They told that the company would have between 70 and 80 dancers as follows: 10 Principals, 10 Soloists, 40/50 corps de ballet and 10 apprentices.

As not all Principals and Soloists attended that auditions maybe the results do not show the total number of the future dancers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):