This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Jewels" DVD and PBS Great Performances broadcast

• Please log in to reply
167 replies to this topic

#166 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

Finally purchased the DVD.
I like the production (sets are the best since the originals in my opinion).
The dancing is incredible though I was surprised to find the corps work not always as clean as I would have expected from what I hear about The Paris Opera. I also for some reason had believed up until now that every dancer would have perfect feet in The Paris Opera.
That being said I think the company is fantastic. The soloists and principals are extraordinary.
I love this ballet very, very much and I'm pleased to be able to have such a good production on DVD to view as often as I wish!

#167 papeetepatrick

papeetepatrick

Sapphire Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,486 posts

Posted 12 April 2008 - 07:10 PM

Who else does 'Diamonds' at POB besides Ms. Letestu? I just watched this again, and she seems the weakest casting in the whole video--not high enough energy, speed, and not musical enough (at least in this). Did she get better in the role, because it has a strange superficiality to the performance. Strangest thing is that she doesn't seem to quite be able to keep up with the music toward the end. Is she praised in this role by some? I didn't think she was ever inside it, but rather always detached from it. Not comparing to Farrell either, I've seen it live at NYCB and much better done.

I suppose she could have gotten better in the role, gone into it more deeply. Would appreciate hearing about how POB's Diamonds has continued to evolve. Sets a thousand times more crisp and smart than at NYCB and I still love the 'Emeralds' on this one. But also the 'Rubies' is really satisfying.

#168 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 05:50 AM

I obtained this DVD from Netflix, without the booklet. Is the booklet posted online anywhere?

What are the sets like at NYCB, or elsewhere?

With the discussion of feet and arches, I am surprised no one mentioned Eleanora's. They really attracted my attention in Emeralds.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):