This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Four of today’s greatest dancers take center stage for an incomparable display of the power and prowess of the male dancer. American Ballet Theater’s Angel Corella and Ethan Stiefel, Johan Kobborg of The Royal Ballet and Bolshoi Ballet star Nikolay Tsiskaridze will each dance world premiere works by some of today’s most sought-after choreographers, as well as breathtaking solos from beloved classical ballets. Additionally, all four stars join in a brand new work by Christopher Wheeldon.

While I'm dying to see Kings of the Dance, I have serious doubts about whether such a performance will really be good for ballet as an art. Won't it turn into a virtuosity competition? Comparisons between the 4 dancers will be inevitable and the result could be very much the same as the "3 Tenor" situation - lots of technique, but not much art.

Four of today’s greatest dancers take center stage for an incomparable display of the power and prowess of the male dancer. American Ballet Theater’s Angel Corella and Ethan Stiefel, Johan Kobborg of The Royal Ballet and Bolshoi Ballet star Nikolay Tsiskaridze will each dance world premiere works by some of today’s most sought-after choreographers, as well as breathtaking solos from beloved classical ballets. Additionally, all four stars join in a brand new work by Christopher Wheeldon.

While I'm dying to see Kings of the Dance, I have serious doubts about whether such a performance will really be good for ballet as an art. Won't it turn into a virtuosity competition? Comparisons between the 4 dancers will be inevitable and the result could be very much the same as the "3 Tenor" situation - lots of technique, but not much art.

This sounds like it will be the 2005 male version of "Pas de Quatre."

City Center, New York, in February 23-26.

It's possible that New York is not this quartet (+1)'s only gig.  I don't have time now, but a web search might yield more details.

It will actually premiere 2/16 -19 in Orange County, CA before it plays in New York. Here's the link:

http://www.ocpac.org/onstage/Event.asp?Eve...entCategoryID=2

The City Center site indicates that Vishneva will join them for Jeune Homme, although I'd seen Lucia Lacarra listed elsewhere. I don't know which info is more current, I think either one of them would be wonderful. Unfortunately tickets in NY are very pricey, which may hold attendance down...

$150.00 seats at City Center says something about the expectations of the promoters. Note the use of "Kings of Dnce" rather than "Ballet."

Is it just me, or does the order of programming seem a bit intriguing? I like the idea of starting with a new Wheeldon for the 4 men -- and the Jeune Homme (which just happens to include one of the world's greatest female dancers, in New York at least) makes sense. But I wonder what the the 4 solos at the END of the program will be like? And how the audience will respond. Isn't that traditionally the position for the most bravura dancing?

One awful thought: the copy-cat productions that will be touring the provinces. Four Irish Kings of Dance?

Note the use of "Kings of Dnce" rather than "Ballet."

Leaves room for Michael Flatley (sp?) to join at some point. :rofl:
But I wonder what the the 4 solos at the END of the program will be like? 
I can't believe that the curtain will fall on the final solo, and that will be that. I'm sure they'll devise something to bring everyone together for a final piece, the way the ice shows do.

Johan Kobborg's website gives some interesting details on the performances in Costa Mesa, 16-19 February, and New York, 23-26. Mr. Kobborg will perform in the new Wheeldon ballet, as well as in a new version of "Afternoon of a Faun" choregraphed by T. Rushdon, and a solo of Bournonville.

He will also perform with Vishneva (he does not mention her by name, but for NY the City Center site does) in "Jeune Homme", with DATE to be announced for each city. The singular date suggests that perhaps the men will alternate performances in "Jeune Homme."

http://www.kobborg.co.uk/calb/cal.html

As previously noted on her website and under Vishneva in the Kirov-Mariinsky section, Diana will not appear in Kings of Dance. She will be busy rehearsing the Pugni/Lacotte "Ondine" for opening night of the Mariinsky Festival, March 6. The LA Times reported today that Roland Petite has chosen Tamiyo Kusakari of Tokyo's Asami Maki Ballet as her replacement.

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/orange/l...1,4724504.story

I would guess it's safe to assume this is also true of the City Center engagement. You think?

Well, the the 4 NY/CA performances used to be on the schedule on her website and are all now gone so..... I would consider that hard info as she seems to take

a lot of time with her site (or else has someone do it for her)

Someone had pointed out to her that her ABT dates this Summer in NYC didn't watch

what ABT had on their calendar and she admitted that she noted that and corrected it. I only say this because diferrent performers handle their sites in different degrees of care; she seems to use a lot

Richard

It is perhaps worth mentioning the huge program change in Kings of Dance reported in today's Links by Dirac:

"Jeune Homme" is to be replaced by "The Lesson" with Alina Cojocaru, partnered by a different man each performance.

Now that it has become The Empress of Dance, with 4 Consorts, I checked out the City Center website to buy tickets for the NYC engagement. Best Buy seems to be Front Mezzanine. The three evenings have Row C Dead Center available at $75. Just three rows back of the $150 section (and orchestra is $100 with very good seats for opening night). Sunday matinee is a tougher ticket.

It is perhaps worth mentioning the huge program change in Kings of Dance reported in today's Links by Dirac:

"Jeune Homme" is to be replaced by "The Lesson" with Alina Cojocaru, partnered by a different man each performance.

drb thanks for the info, that is a very interesting turn of events. I must admit that Jeune Homme is one of my all time favorite guilty pleasures and I was looking forward to seeing it again (esp with Steifel & Tsiskaridze and Vishneva as the woman). However trading it for The Lesson is a small price to pay for the privilege of seeing Ms. Cojocaru, she is truly incandescent. I've never seen Flindt's ballet, but descriptions indicated roles for a man and 2 women and City Center's website mentions "other guests from the Royal Ballet". Dare we also hope for a guest appearance by a prodigal daughter?

I've never seen Flindt's ballet, but descriptions indicated roles for a man and 2 women and City Center's website  mentions "other guests from the Royal Ballet".  Dare we also hope for a guest appearance by a prodigal daughter?

The other female role (the pianist) is more of an acting than a dancing role. At the ROH this role was undertaken by Zenaida Yanowsky and Deidre Chapman (in different casts). Yanowsky really made something of the character.

The Lesson is a violent and creepy piece. I wouldn't have imagined that it would appeal much to Amercican audiences, but maybe all the Four Kings want to get in touch with their inner psychopath.....