PA Ballet -- Balanchine's NutcrackerDecember 11-January 2

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 06:46 PM

I see on Thursday Dec 23 that Julie Diana is listed as both the Sugar Plum Fairy and a maid. Certainly hope that it is either a typo or there are 2 Julie Dianas.

#17 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 December 2004 - 11:12 PM

That is hilarious, lilianna! You are right, Julie Diana is listed as Sugar Plum and one of the Maids on Dec. 23........since Julie Higdon usually plays one of the Maids, I have a feeling it was a typo.

#18 lillianna

lillianna

• PipPip
  • 98 posts

Posted 02 December 2004 - 08:49 PM

I was hoping that dusting and coat check were not part of the "pay your dues' for new Sugar Plum Fairies.

#19 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 04:25 AM

I was kinda wondering if it was a new, Marxist interpretation of the Nutcracker.

Suddenly, the proletariat triumphs as the maid, oppressed for so long by the Imperialist Stahlbaum house who represent the tyrranical monarchy, is revealed to be the Sugar Plum Fairy!

Surrounded by her true friends, the Worker Mice, she proceeds to dance a representative inauguration of the new cement factory.

#20 purelyballet

purelyballet

• PipPipPip
  • 131 posts

Posted 06 December 2004 - 04:35 PM

Very funny Leigh. This was obviously a typo. I am anxious to see Julie dance Sugar Plum in the upcoming Philly performances. Unfortuantely I was unable to attend any of the performances in Cleveland, but from the reveiw that I read, it sounds as if all went well.

#21 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,032 posts

Posted 10 December 2004 - 07:28 PM

There are changes to the casting this weekend.

Saturday, December 11th at 11:00am
~Dew Drop will be played by Heidi Cruz

Saturday, December 11th at 3:00pm
~Sugarplum Fairy will be played by Arantxa Ochoa
~Cavalier will be played by James Ady

Saturday, December 11th at 7:00pm
~Dew Drop will be played by Amy Aldridge
~Coffee will be played by Christine Cox
~Lead Marzipan Sheperdess will be played by Abigail Mentzer

Sunday, December 12th at 12:00pm
~Sugarplum Fairy will be played by Valerie Amiss
~Cavalier will be played by James Ihde
~Lead Marzipan Sheperdess will be played by Ashley Flood
~Flower Demi will be played by Heidi Cruz

Sunday, December 12th at 4:00pm
~Cavalier will be played by Zachary Hench
~Lead Marzipan Sheperdess will be played by Ashley Flood

#22 socalgal

socalgal

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 05:14 PM

Last weekend's opening of PAB's Nutcracker did have many casting changes, but did not disappoint! Zach Hench's repeat performances of Cavalier were a treat and all the corps members who replaced the upper ranks in Act II were exemplary. Balanchine's ballet flows so seamlessly that I never seem to tire watching repeat performances. Act I focuses on the children and family culture. The dance with the girls and their father always makes me smile. It is the way Balanchine gives character to each family on stage and keeps the scene moving constantly without feeling strained and it tells me that this man did understand the 'story' ballet quite well. The children this year did nicely. And although they were not as polished in their dancing as in years past, they made up for it in enthusiasm and energy.

Julie Diana and Zachery Hench danced a beautiful Sugar Plum/Cavalier pas. Having seen Julie dance SFB's version, it was fun wathching her charm and style in this one. Her solo floated along with a more reserved softer approach than others in this company. Their pas was superb.
I also enjoyed the other couplings I saw which included Aranxta Ochoa with James Ady (dazzling pas). Val Amiss and James Ihde and Amy Aldridge with Zach (a handsome match-up).

The corps was full of new faces but the Snow scene and Flowers had polish, musicality and spark. I think this speaks well for the staff who rehearses them. All in all, this Nut keeps Philadelphia crowds coming back year after year. It is a beautifully performed ballet by a wonderful talented group of dancers. Now.......for some more interesting faire in the triple bill in February~looking forward! :blink: :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):